Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Do a comparison of the Ranger with a 2019 F-150 with a N/A 3.3 and see what happens.
Sponsored

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
Does the 2.3L still suffer from danger of the block cracking between cylinder #2 and #3? Mustang owners were having that issue when they pushed the engine hard.

Personally, I still don't fully trust the EcoBoost engine program. The laws of physics dictate that it takes a certain amount of air flowing through an engine to make a certain amount of power, and therefore it takes a matching amount of fuel, so there will never be a fuel savings to the EcoBoost. And the reliability and longevity issues owners have had with them for the last 8 years means that it's not worth the hassle. I'd be much happier with a strong naturally aspirated V6 or better yet a small V8 like the Dakota used to offer.
Yeah if you dump your boost too early you'll get this.

1439252543414.jpg

But seriously, turbo cars are a balance. I can get close to 37 mpg in my Fiesta ST if I drive it right. I can also get about 19-21 mpg if I drive it like it's built for. I've had many turbos in the past and they have all been solid, even with a lot of mods. I also had a V8 Dakota and that was one of my favorite vehicles I've ever owned. I wish you could still get a V8 midsized like the Dakota or the Colorado SS. Different times.

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
Occupation
Collision Repair Estimator
I also loved the 4.7l V8 in the Dakota/ Durango/ Grand Cherokee, but they are definitely not known for longevity. The story goes that it was designed to last 150,000 miles. They will last longer than that, but the clock is ticking...

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
I also loved the 4.7l V8 in the Dakota/ Durango/ Grand Cherokee, but they are definitely not known for longevity. The story goes that it was designed to last 150,000 miles. They will last longer than that, but the clock is ticking...
The last four I owned all went 250k+ miles with regular maintenance. No leaks, noises or anything. I've learned the 4.7 is damn near bullet proof as long as you don't overheat it. Current one is at 100k with just a water pump issue but easily fixed. Still starts and runs as it was when new. I usually keep them well past 200k but think I'll do this early for the Ranger. It will be sad to see it go.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
The last four I owned all went 250k+ miles with regular maintenance. No leaks, noises or anything. I've learned the 4.7 is damn near bullet proof as long as you don't overheat it. Current one is at 100k with just a water pump issue but easily fixed. Still starts and runs as it was when new. I usually keep them well past 200k but think I'll do this early for the Ranger. It will be sad to see it go.
My 4.7L Dakota had about 180k on her before I sold her. I had cams, headers, a tune, intake and exhaust mods and drove it hard and the only maintenance issue I had was a water pump at around 90k miles. I was working at the Dodge dealership at the time so it only cost me $190 to replace.

WXman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I have yet to see ANYTHING definitive on the "reliability and longevity issues" with the EcoBoost line. All I have seen are posts about individual, sporadic issues, or known issues that have long been resolved (head gasket issues with the 2.3 due to assembly line mixup). Do you have some definitive proof (something other than just anecdotal evidence) that there is some key flaw in the EcoBoost engines?

Conversely, I've seen MANY reports of long lived EcoBoost engines with no failures - I also have anecdotal evidence from 2 or 3 people who have had GREAT experiences with their EcoBoost engines. One of them being a guy who used to tow his travel trailer with an old 98 Suburban with a bib block in it. He has a 3.5 EcoBoost and says it tows better than the big block does and he has had zero issues with it.
All I've heard from people who own them is what a nightmare they are. But as far as personal experience, the closest I've got is my brother who drives a F-150 EcoBoost with around 60,000 miles on it now and it's already been in the shop for a long while once last year and this year he said his timing set is rattling really bad. Also, a friend of mine who is a 20+ year Ford certified tech got a new F-150 last year and I saw him in town one day and asked him if he got the EcoBoost. His response was: "Hell no. I see those at work way too often."

So I just don't know. The 3.5L was so bad that they ditched it and replaced it with a second version that "shares no parts with the original". The 2.7L had rampant issues with stranding guys. The 2.3L had weak blocks that cracked. I've actually seen pictures of those. And all of the EcoBoosts seem to have tons of TSBs, recalls, and service bulletins on them regarding supplemental vaccum pumps, turbos, induction cleaning requirements, more frequent tune-up requirements, timing set failures, intercooler failures, etc.

I've been avoiding them, but with the Ranger they aren't giving us a choice. So I'm hoping that everything is cleared up by the time I purchase. I need my next truck to last a LONG time.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
All I've heard from people who own them is what a nightmare they are. But as far as personal experience, the closest I've got is my brother who drives a F-150 EcoBoost with around 60,000 miles on it now and it's already been in the shop for a long while once last year and this year he said his timing set is rattling really bad. Also, a friend of mine who is a 20+ year Ford certified tech got a new F-150 last year and I saw him in town one day and asked him if he got the EcoBoost. His response was: "Hell no. I see those at work way too often."

So I just don't know. The 3.5L was so bad that they ditched it and replaced it with a second version that "shares no parts with the original". The 2.7L had rampant issues with stranding guys. The 2.3L had weak blocks that cracked. I've actually seen pictures of those. And all of the EcoBoosts seem to have tons of TSBs, recalls, and service bulletins on them regarding supplemental vaccum pumps, turbos, induction cleaning requirements, more frequent tune-up requirements, timing set failures, intercooler failures, etc.

I've been avoiding them, but with the Ranger they aren't giving us a choice. So I'm hoping that everything is cleared up by the time I purchase. I need my next truck to last a LONG time.
Back when I bought a 2011 F-150 with Ecoboost, I started thinking about these engines 15 or 20 years down the line when they have 200,000+ miles on them. The truck/car will be worth maybe $5000 and those who own them will own them because they can't afford anything newer. So what do they do when the turbo craps out? I have no idea what it would cost to replace a turbo, but it wouldn't be cheap and someone who has to buy a $5000 vehicle won't be able to afford to fix the turbo. I suppose the vehicle will still run, but not well. It's nothing that I will have to worry about at my age, but something that came to mind.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

So this is a bunch of ancedotal evidence. I have exactly the opposite evidence. Everyone I know (3 of them now) have EcoBoosts and LOVE them. No issues, no cracked blocks, no excessive servicing, etc.

I have seen articles written about EcoBoosts torn down after 200k and they looked really good, so there is that anecdotal evidence as well.

So I guess it just depends on who you talk to....Or believe.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
So this is a bunch of ancedotal evidence. I have exactly the opposite evidence. Everyone I know (3 of them now) have EcoBoosts and LOVE them. No issues, no cracked blocks, no excessive servicing, etc.

I have seen articles written about EcoBoosts torn down after 200k and they looked really good, so there is that anecdotal evidence as well.

So I guess it just depends on who you talk to....Or believe.
I heard from a friend who had a brother who lived by Texas who knew a guy who worked at a plant in Mexico who had to diagnose an engine that wouldn't turn over. It turned out the cylinders were stuffed with pinto beans and salsa. True story.
Sponsored