First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
I'd say, if you like your machine to last a long time, take care of it with regular maintenance. Doing that is cheaper than a new truck. :clap: Seems to me that stating a bazillion miles between changes, is good maketing.
Sponsored

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I'll throw gas (or oil) on the fire lol

My wife's '14 CR-V is just cresting 65k miles. Runs like a champ and she never reset the trip mileage so the 28.5mpg is the overall lifetime. Only ever takes it to the dealer for work, which has been scheduled maintenance only. Something about I get a get a crazy look and start modifying anything I see...which is true.

Oil life meter equates to 10k miles between changes. Like clock work. She does have the techs obtain oil so I can send to Blackstone for records. Everything comes back perfect. They even say it could go 2-3000 more miles.

It is a different animal, but those intervals are spot on for what Honda recommends for the vehicle. So no, 10k is NOT too much for a vehicle. The days of 5k dino oil in my pushrod 5.8L are gone. But doing it sooner doesn't hurt anything, so go crazy!
I don't think the point I made previously in this thread was clear. Allow me to make some bullet points.
  • 10 K miles is too much for the Ranger, backed up by data
  • The oil life computer is not an accurate representation of when to change oil
  • Many people's oil tests say the oil is breaking down and losing viscosity at 5K
  • Even as the oil life meter says there is 50% life left in the oil
So the bottom line: disregard the oil life meter, Ford's recommendations, experience with other vehicles, and use real oil test data to decide when you should change your oil.

Think about it. This is a high strung turbocharged 2.3 liter 4 cylinder that outruns the V6 Tacoma in the quarter mile. Don't go 10K between oil changes. It's obvious. But it's more obvious after you get your oil tested and the viscosity is below recommendation even without fuel content in the oil.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
.... Many people's oil tests say the oil is breaking down and losing viscosity at 5K
.... Don't go 10K between oil changes. It's obvious. But it's more obvious after you get your oil tested and the viscosity is below recommendation even without fuel content in the oil.
Can you shows us some links to test reports that back that up? I am in no way saying your statements are incorrect, I'd just like to see the reports.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Im old enough to predate synthetic oils. In the 70’s and 80’s, people routinely changed oil at 3k miles. Today’s oils are much better, but engines also run harder. I had a 1989 Mustang GT with a 5.0 V8 that only put out 225 hp/ 300 lb ft (can you believe that?), so this little 2.3 is putting out more than that. I have always changed the oil in every vehicle I have ever owned at every 5000 and have never had a car in the shop with an engine related issue. It may not be necessary, but it certainly doesn’t hurt.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Im old enough to predate synthetic oils. In the 70’s and 80’s, people routinely changed oil at 3k miles. Today’s oils are much better, but engines also run harder. I had a 1989 Mustang GT with a 5.0 V8 that only put out 225 hp/ 300 lb ft (can you believe that?), so this little 2.3 is putting out more than that. I have always changed the oil in every vehicle I have ever owned at every 5000 and have never had a car in the shop with an engine related issue. It may not be necessary, but it certainly doesn’t hurt.
images.jpeg
I'm older than that! Back in the days of leaded regular and 35¢ for a pack of Camels, many folks would get an oil change about once a month. Older cars would be down 1 1/2-2 quarts in a thousand miles so some would just add a quart or two of 15¢/qt bulk oil once they got to that point. Kendall was more expensive: 59¢/qt vs 39¢ for Golden Shell.. When the filter finally clogged solid, the sludgy oil would just bypass it and on past the rings and out the tailpipe. Just add more bulk and run'er like a total loss lube system! if I recall, we used to charge $6 or $7 for a lube, oil, and filter change at the Shell station I worked part time in '66. No sealed bearings, lotsa Zerks.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Yeah, I'd like to see actual reports. Nice charts on the oil breaking down, I'm a visual guy.

My Blackstone analysis (done at 1k, 5k, and 10k so far) on my Ranger has consistently said I had easily 5-6k left on the oil. Changing at 5k doesn't hurt anything, so go ahead. I might even do it to match my tire rotation. But the point is, the data I have collected so far shows that the 10k interval is completely adequate.

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
Can you shows us some links to test reports that back that up?
Yeah, I'd like to see actual reports. Nice charts on the oil breaking down, I'm a visual guy.
I posted my chart in this very thread. I don't mean to be rude when I say "try not to be spoon fed" but the charts are all over the "fuel in oil" threads. Just do a search. I have seen a lot of them and viscosity clearly starts to break down around ~5k, if not earlier (my UOA was done @ 4500 and showed breakdown).

My Blackstone analysis (done at 1k, 5k, and 10k so far) on my Ranger has consistently said I had easily 5-6k left on the oil.
My report was great on wear metals, but not so much on viscosity. I paid extra for TBN and was told to change @ 6500 miles. I would love for you to produce your report so we can verify what Blackstone suggested as your interval.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I posted my chart in this very thread. I don't mean to be rude when I say "try not to be spoon fed" but the charts are all over the "fuel in oil" threads. Just do a search. I have seen a lot of them and viscosity clearly starts to break down around ~5k, if not earlier (my UOA was done @ 4500 and showed breakdown).

My report was great on wear metals, but not so much on viscosity. I paid extra for TBN and was told to change @ 6500 miles. I would love for you to produce your report so we can verify what Blackstone suggested as your interval.
Spoon fed? Ugh. Your analysis has borderline fuel dilution. Which, of course, results in the viscosity breaking down.

Based on @Zaph 's comments, what we are looking for are oil analysis on trucks that don't have the fuel in oil issue, reports that shows the oil breaking down and losing viscosity at 5K.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Here is my report from last year at the 5k interval. Closest one I could find, it does say 7500 on this one. I'll try to find the other sheets. Just moved and office is a mess.

16149080431753134726285017161594.jpg

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
what we are looking for are oil analysis on trucks that don't have the fuel in oil issue, reports that shows the oil breaking down and losing viscosity at 5K.
To that I say good luck. Fuel dilution seems to be an insurmountable problem on these engines, and some are worse than others. Even on the very few reports with "trace" amounts of fuel dilution, the viscosity has broken down, and I will "spoon feed" you once I find them, as annoying as it is. I hope that once you see, that your attitude will change. If not, there is no outside cure for ignorance. The entire "viscosity breaks down around 5k" point is entirely valid.
Here is my report from last year at the 5k interval. Closest one I could find, it does say 7500 on this one. I'll try to find the other sheets. Just moved and office is a mess.

16149080431753134726285017161594.jpg
Even though this report has no verification attributes (no vehicle model, no report ID, etc) and thus suspect to scrutiny, it still shows your viscosity has broken down below 5w30 standards around 5k (it's literally in your report black & white), just as mine had. The oil does not have 7500 miles left on it. They are saying your interval is 7500 miles total. Your TBN looks great, but not your wear metals. If at 5320 miles my 5w30 oil had sheared to 52.1 (supposed to be minimum 56) and 7.91 (supposed to be minimum 9.1) I would change it if I cared about the long term health of my engine. That is the only point the other users are trying to make. 10k just is too far to push the oil, regardless of what Ford or the oil monitor says.

Last edited:

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
The proper way to know your drain intervals is to read the bottle of oil. Don't rely on a mechanic, the dealership, or your owner's manual.
And even the info on the bottle is subjective because the lawyer who wrote that doesn't know the quality of filter you're using. And the filter is the backbone of how long your oil stays good.

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
@HenryMac

It took me less than five minutes to find a report on this site, convert it from pdf to jpg to show you, that even with trace fuel dilution viscosity has already broken down before 5k.

0001.jpg

Do what you want with your truck. Even cry at Ford for marketing you something with a 10k interval, but remember that people with nothing to lose or gain on this forum just tried to help you.

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
The proper way to know your drain intervals is to read the bottle of oil. Don't rely on a mechanic, the dealership, or your owner's manual.
And even the info on the bottle is subjective because the lawyer who wrote that doesn't know the quality of filter you're using. And the filter is the backbone of how long your oil stays good.
No. Not you. Amsoil reps stay away. :punch:

BoilerMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
See username
My bottle of Quaker State motor oil says that it’s performance specifications meet or exceed Ford WSS-M2C947-A specs. Even oil companies read the manufacturers Owners Manual.
Sponsored