TSB 20-2339 Vehicle Buck/Surge During Low Speed Operation And/Or Engine Runs Rough After Cold Start

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
Hi Folks,

I have an appointment Monday, but the dealership says they need it cold started to verify the surging before they do the reflash.... This makes no sense to me....just reflash and take your 0.4 hour payment.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I know...right!

Tell 'em to meet you at the house at 6:00 am if they need to see it cold started.
Sponsored

Sako887

First Name
Sarkis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hi Folks,

I have an appointment Monday, but the dealership says they need it cold started to verify the surging before they do the reflash.... This makes no sense to me....just reflash and take your 0.4 hour payment.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
This is exactly what I was concerned about.

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
I took the truck in to the dealership yesterday. They were take Care of the TSB and look at the sensor issue I have had fixed twice so far.
They say they flashed the PCM and to expect it drive differently as it adjust and relearns driving patterns. No excuses, tests or anything...just did what the TSB said. I could tell a difference even just driving home.
As for the sensor issue, two different sensors have been replaced. They say they are replacing the entire bumper harness. I am a bit surprised. We will see how it goes.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Curious for anyone else who had this done....my truck seems like it does not go into 9th or 10th gear until I’m on the highway and use cruise control above 60-65. Or maybe it was always like this and I just didn’t notice. Or maybe it my tune?

alaska2baja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCab, 2008 Yamaha TW200
Occupation
Adventure Guide
I've got a 2020 Ranger with a surge at slow speed after start up. To me, it almost feels like the motor is starved for fuel for a quick second and then stutters for just a moment before lurching forward. Is this similar to what you guys are experiencing? The TSB only covers 2019 models. Wondering if anyone else with a 2020 is having this issue. Thanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
I've got a 2020 Ranger with a surge at slow speed after start up. To me, it almost feels like the motor is starved for fuel for a quick second and then stutters for just a moment before lurching forward. Is this similar to what you guys are experiencing? The TSB only covers 2019 models. Wondering if anyone else with a 2020 is having this issue. Thanks
Yes, I have this issue as well on cold start. It sounds like the engine is roaring or some sort of fan is blowing really hard as you accelerate until the vehicle warms up. I have found if you let the vehicle idle for a minute before you drive it the sound is not there or doesn't last as long.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Yes, I have this issue as well on cold start. It sounds like the engine is roaring or some sort of fan is blowing really hard as you accelerate until the vehicle warms up. I have found if you let the vehicle idle for a minute before you drive it the sound is not there or doesn't last as long.
The roar on startup is unrelated to the TSB and is normal. Thread about it can be found here.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
I am starting to notice this characteristic now that it is getting colder temperatures in this region.
Not to concerned. I have been letting it warm up a little longer than usual.
Loving my Ranger :like:

awelzel

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 302A Supercrew in Black
Vehicle Showcase
I did not have positive results from this.

I had this done a couple weeks ago, but was not able to test the truck out in colder weather until yesterday and today.

This only occurs to my truck during colder weather from startup and no warm up, or after sitting in heavy traffic for some time and then having to accelerate. (Rarely occurs during warmer times of the year)

It was finally cold in Mass the past two days and the bucking/surge came back right after a cold start and having to accelerate. I will say both yesterday and today the bucks/surge were not as bad as it was before though.

I haven't driven in the god-awful Boston traffic in months and probably won’t have to for a while so won't be able to test that out until next year.

Oh well, back to warming up the truck with remote start before leaving.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I wonder if they can charge Ford for the "diagnostic time" in addition to the .4 hours of labor.
Unless something changed, no. The TSB should show up when the tech runs the data base with customer concern categories. That's why it makes no sense for these dealers to even throw the old "we can't verify it, or it's normal". Just hook up the scan tool, check for a later calibration. If the calibration is there, reprogram per TSB, get your .4 hours and at the very least let the customer know you tried what Ford said would work. Most people are going to at least appreciate that you did something. If there's not a later calibration, you simply say "road test, could not verify the concern, used (whatever scan tool) to check for codes, none present. There are labor times for that also, so they still don't lose money. Used to be you could "road test and monitor PIDS" which was like .3 hours on top of the rest of your diag. These dealers, the techs, service writers and/or service managers are pathetic. I have already had 2 dealers tell me the surge is normal, the 10 speed gets "confused" etc. My ongoing vibration ( which is not severe, but it is there ) was confirmed by one dealer and then considered "normal" after they balanced the tires and they didn't fix it. My latest dealer is telling me " yeah, we have seen that in all or most of the Rangers ". Which according to him makes it "normal" or "acceptable" or not worth trying to fix. Apparently if every Ranger had a check engine light on, it would make it normal too. I don't understand the mentality of these places. I really like this truck, and I have been a very loyal Ford guy, but we canceled our Bronco reservation because I can't find a competent dealer/ service department. I plan to keep the Ranger 4 more years, but unless something changes I'll be buying another brand (new) for only the 3rd time in my life.
Sponsored