TSB: 19-2052 - 2019 Ranger - Engine Cold Start Runs Rough / Rough Shifting Transmission

coblueberryranger

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Consultant
Vehicle Showcase

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
What improved in your view for the performance? throttle response? mpg? shifting?
Throttle response and no more stumble.
Still getting 23mpg in town. Planning a road trip next week, we’ll see.

One stock coil pack had corrosion around and on the mounting bolt, which I think is also the ground. May have also contributed to my earlier issues.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
What kind of differences? Better throttle?
Better throttle response, feels smoother up to 8th gear where I still experience some kind of roughness between 2000 and 2500 rpm. It's not quite as noticeable in S mode. Shifting past 8th and it smooths out again.

Can't seem to nail it down. Went on a trip and it bothered me a lot so when I got home I removed the only mod that Ive added beside the coils, the GFB DV, and went back to stock, this seemed to help.

Still feel like its fuel mapping or tranny calibration. May give the dealer one more shot at it before going with a tune.

8500 miles, Mpg's a constant 23 city and 25mpg hyway on this last tank that was 75% hyway.

Robert Jay

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT and 2008 Porsche Carrera 4S
Occupation
Retired Antique Dealer
I have the same issue so thanks for all the information. Now I can tell them how to fix it because whenever I bring in a problem, they have never heard of it and no other ranger have ever had that problem. Mine happened at 1800RPMs when it is cold.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
our trucks all have a warranty and if they don't run right whether they have a tsb, recall or not it is covered and the dealer is suppose to fix the drivability problem if the service techs can't figure it out that is why they call Ford for help.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
At the dealership and there giving me issues on updating it. About to drive it with manager to show the rough shifting.

Also he explained that updates not in a recall cost money to have done?! Anyone else have issues like that or pushback from a ford service department?
In all my years of buying cars and for sure the last 20 updates to the technology has never been the buyers responsibility to cover the cost , it is the manufacturers who covers the cost and reimburses the dealership for the costs of repairs at least it is my experience with my dealers.
The person must be ect...
Go to another dealerships service department.

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Was having these tranny issues with my 2019 Ranger that I have only had a few months. My manufacturers date was August of 2019 so it was supposably not eligible for the TSB. I took it to my dealer and they couldn’t recreate the issue. I told them it had to be on a cold start so they kept it overnight to check it first thing in the morning. They called me and said they were doing an update for me on my truck. I asked if they experienced the issue and the reply was an emphatic ‘Oh Yeah, for sure’. They told me that Ford wasn’t going to pay for it, But that they would take care of it for me. Seems ridiculous to me that even if the TSB is not for trucks that are past 2/11/2019, if the truck is having the same exact issues, they should open it up for later manufactured models as well. I am pleased to say that The update they did, which I am assuming was this TSB, made all the difference in the world. It’s like a new truck again with no apparent tranny hiccups.

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
By the way my paperwork says it reflashed the PCM if that helps anyone.

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
mine has an occasional rough idle in the morning only, accompanied by a crappy shift pattern. My build though is March 2019 after the TSB date. I called local Ford dealer and they said they dont know what's causing it! They had another Ranger in there week before and there couldn't fix it! This was over the phone, think I'll try another dealer!

Robert Jay

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Antique Dealer
mine has an occasional rough idle in the morning only, accompanied by a crappy shift pattern. My build though is March 2019 after the TSB date. I called local Ford dealer and they said they dont know what's causing it! They had another Ranger in there week before and there couldn't fix it! This was over the phone, think I'll try another dealer!
I called a different dealer but before the appointment, it was running really rough and barely ran any better that an old jalopy puddling down the road.
they sent a valet to pick up the truck and I crossed my fingers that he would make it back to the dealership. We it made it and it turned out that due to it sitting in Corona land for two weeks, squirrels chewed some wires and a strap dealing with the fuel injectors.
as squirrels are not mentioned in the warranty, it cost me $515.00.
But when they returned it my truck ran great and absolutely no hesitation at all. ??‍♂

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I called a different dealer but before the appointment, it was running really rough and barely ran any better that an old jalopy puddling down the road.
they sent a valet to pick up the truck and I crossed my fingers that he would make it back to the dealership. We it made it and it turned out that due to it sitting in Corona land for two weeks, squirrels chewed some wires and a strap dealing with the fuel injectors.
But when they returned it my truck ran great and absolutely no hesitation at all. ??‍♂
ls don't know if anybody has the statistics but I bet squirrels cause millions of dollar in damage each year. A friend has solar panels on his roof, the tree rats have chewed up the wiring several times. They cause many power outages when they climb up on the utility transformers. At least they pay the ultimate price when they do that. No telling how much bird seed they rob from bird feeders. ☹
I think the one pictured is saying "hey dude you are about to loose your phone and cable service". :LOL:

1588259478712.png

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Robert,

This is not known by many, but that squirrel escaped from the engine internals. EcoBoost is really just giant hamster wheel, but in place of the hamster, EcoBoost used squirrels for more power... Need to find out how this guy got out of the motor....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Robert Jay

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Antique Dealer
Hi Robert,

This is not known by many, but that squirrel escaped from the engine internals. EcoBoost is really just giant hamster wheel, but in place of the hamster, EcoBoost used squirrels for more power... Need to find out how this guy got out of the motor....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Now that is funny! I was wonder if the squirrels were in the middle of fixing the wires and Ford came along and took all the credit.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Hi Robert,

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I am missing my squirrel Freckles. Could be where he went.

Sponsored