TSB: 19-2052 - 2019 Ranger - Engine Cold Start Runs Rough / Rough Shifting Transmission

Robert Jay

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT and 2008 Porsche Carrera 4S
Occupation
Retired Antique Dealer
I believe he was last seen at weight watchers Standing next to a hungry hippo.
Sponsored

AdanPineda

First Name
Adan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat sport 4x4
Occupation
Engineering
Called my dealer for my 2019 Ranger (made 01/19) and they said they didnt have any recalls from my truck. So im going to print out the bulletin and hand it to them. Some mention that dealers are not aware of the problems. Also taking it for the back seat latch.

Chrisr24

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Have my 19 at the dealer as i type this for that issue. Had to send them the tsb info so hopefully they will get that done. Of course they can't get my trans to act up like i've been experiencing

Robert Jay

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Antique Dealer
I took mine to a new dealer after squirrels ate my injector wires Which they replaced. They also redid two of the computer programs and I have not had this problem since.

Robert Jay

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Antique Dealer
Hi Robert,

This is not known by many, but that squirrel escaped from the engine internals. EcoBoost is really just giant hamster wheel, but in place of the hamster, EcoBoost used squirrels for more power... Need to find out how this guy got out of the motor....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Just saw this. That is funny.?

Robert Jay

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Antique Dealer
Have my 19 at the dealer as i type this for that issue. Had to send them the tsb info so hopefully they will get that done. Of course they can't get my trans to act up like i've been experiencing
If they ate the Soy based wiring covers on top of your engine you can do what Ford should have done in the first place and that is install an engine cover. it covers most of the wires in the “Picnic Area” on top.
i also spray a peppermint smelling deterant. And plan on hanging a rice filled bag that is sprayed with peppermi oil. The ? hate the smell of peppermint.

Last trip to the dealer cost $2085.00 as they had to replace the entire wiring harness which meant removing the catalytic converter. Ihad to put an insurance claim in to deal with it.
if it happens a third time I am selling the Ranger.

austinb324

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I took mine in a few weeks ago on this TSB. I've told them several times in the past that the first shift on a cold start when leaving my house (road is uphill and this is required to reproduce), the transmission will wait until 3500+ rpms to shift and when it does shift it is a heck of a jolt. They always told me that there are no recals. Finally set an appointment with them and told them this TSB number, the service tech wanted to keep it overnight but I convinced him to just do the TSB since im clearly having all the symptoms and meet the TSB criteria. As soon as they updated my PCM I have not had the issue again. Happy to say this worked on my ranger manufactured in 10/2018.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I took mine in a few weeks ago on this TSB. I've told them several times in the past that the first shift on a cold start when leaving my house (road is uphill and this is required to reproduce), the transmission will wait until 3500+ rpms to shift and when it does shift it is a heck of a jolt. They always told me that there are no recals. Finally set an appointment with them and told them this TSB number, the service tech wanted to keep it overnight but I convinced him to just do the TSB since im clearly having all the symptoms and meet the TSB criteria. As soon as they updated my PCM I have not had the issue again. Happy to say this worked on my ranger manufactured in 10/2018.
That is good news. Thanks for posting this. I have the same cold start 1 hard shift issue - I still need to get the taillight recall done - maybe I can have them do both at the same time.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That is good news. Thanks for posting this. I have the same cold start 1 hard shift issue - I still need to get the taillight recall done - maybe I can have them do both at the same time.
Hi Rob,

Only if you have a Tailgate damper installed...otherwise, will not work... :)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT FX4 WHITE
First time it hit around freezing this morning. Put the vehicle in reverse. When I put it in drive, it felt like it was in neutral. Let foot off of gas and all was well after. Anyone experience this? I am hoping it just may be a reflash. It does fall under the build date. I didn't think that I needed it otherwise.

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT FX4 WHITE
Did it again today. Last couple times, one hard shift then fine. Reflash fix anybody's issue?