First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Pilot
I think I found my preferred paint for an almost OEM look: Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating
IMG_2605.jpeg
This looks fantastic. I have been following the post because this is exactly what I am looking for. How can a new guy acquire one. Thanks.

Kevin
Sponsored

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 IS XLT SC , '22 OW BBB 2Dr , '15 PB TC SWB
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2021 Audi Q5 PHEV
Happy weekend everybody,

I think I never posted an installed picture of the painted bracket, so here it is. The color of the Rustoleum Truckbed Coating is a deeper black but by looking at it with your eyes it's not that obvious.
IMG_2627.jpeg

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had some free time and printed more brackets (some of them are painted), I also have a few spare wireless charging pads so you don't have to order them on your own.
IMG_2640.jpeg
IMG_2641.jpeg

Please message me for details.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Guys - if you are on the fence, PULL THE TRIGGER! Dirk has done a great job on this and it really does look stock.

One bit of flexibility to clear up if you want to also have access to a wired connection (for AA for example). I asked early and Dirk posted a picture, but until I tried to to run a cable I did not quite understand. There is a gap at the back of both corners between the center console and Dirk's Wireless charging insert. I have a coiled USB cord so I needed a rt angle USB plug to make it work. I used THIS and it works great! Probably don't need for a straight cord.

Oh, and a another feature! Its fully removable, leaving no scars, holes, etc. Truly plug n play

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
Guys - if you are on the fence, PULL THE TRIGGER! Dirk has done a great job on this and it really does look stock.

One bit of flexibility to clear up if you want to also have access to a wired connection (for AA for example). I asked early and Dirk posted a picture, but until I tried to to run a cable I did not quite understand. There is a gap at the back of both corners between the center console and Dirk's Wireless charging insert. I have a coiled USB cord so I needed a rt angle USB plug to make it work. I used THIS and it works great! Probably don't need for a straight cord.

Oh, and a another feature! Its fully removable, leaving no scars, holes, etc. Truly plug n play
Are you saying we need the right angle adapter if we want to use one of the factory USB ports under Dirk's bracket? I'll be using AAwireless adapter on one port (once I get mine) and running dedicated power for the charging pad, but thinking ahead if I end up needing to use the other USB port for something...
I'm still waiting for my bracket (and my truck) to show up so can't size things up yet. Can you grab a pic of the bracket's underside?

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you saying we need the right angle adapter if we want to use one of the factory USB ports under Dirk's bracket?
You only need that adapter if your USB cable would bend too much or is rigid. The CarlinKit USB cable and the wireless charging pad USB cable plug in straight without issue or too much bending.

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Can the entire set up be powered off one of the usb ports? Would be nice to be plug and play without dealing with fuses but I'm not sure that's possible

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can the entire set up be powered off one of the usb ports? Would be nice to be plug and play without dealing with fuses but I'm not sure that's possible
The Sync 3 USB ports have limited power output, I would guess 1A or 1.5A each or maybe 2A shared. The CarlinKit does not need much power, again guessing 0.5A should be sufficient. But the wireless charging pad needs more, up to 3A for its full 15W charging power at 5V.
When I had the charing pad initially plugged in to the Sync 3 USB port (with the CarlinKit 2.0 in the other one) I have seen that it is sufficient to maintain the charging level of the phone but it won't charge much or fast if the phone is busy doing stuff which may happen if you stream audio and stream Google satellite maps at the same time.
For best performance and fastest charging I suggest to hardwire something like this to the 12V socket, that way you have 5V/3A (QC3) on the USB-A port for the charging pad and use the Sync 3 USB port only for the CarlinKit. It's also future proof for the time when there are USB-C charging pads available.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Are you saying we need the right angle adapter if we want to use one of the factory USB ports under Dirk's bracket? I'll be using AAwireless adapter on one port (once I get mine) and running dedicated power for the charging pad, but thinking ahead if I end up needing to use the other USB port for something...
I'm still waiting for my bracket (and my truck) to show up so can't size things up yet. Can you grab a pic of the bracket's underside?
NO - "Probably don't need for a straight cord." or flexible cord as Dirk said.

I also am on the list for AAwireless in June (probably July/Aug as they work the bugs out) and we shall see what is needed. I could not find an exact number for the height of the AAwireless module, it appears it will be tight. ?
You could try a small USB hub. Communication with the head uniot could be adversly affected, try it and see!
But it would be easier to use a car charger in one of the lighter style ports.

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I ordered one of these last week: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072JC1DQF?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
I see out of stock at the moment but thought it was pretty neat as it already has everything to draw power from wherever you like with the fused link, and you can then run the female USB connector in under Dirk's bracket for the charging pad.

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I also am on the list for AAwireless in June (probably July/Aug as they work the bugs out) and we shall see what is needed. I could not find an exact number for the height of the AAwireless module, it appears it will be tight. ?
I hadn't even thought about that...just assumed if the carplay module fits then this one should too. I'm betting @DirkM would be so kind as to revise the design for AAWireless folks if necessary (which hopefully won't be needed).

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I didn't want to use the provided USB ports to power my wireless charger either, so I relocated the driver-side 12v socket to below the paneling that houses the built-in USB ports. Then I simply plugged in a 12v socket QC 3.0 adapter and plugged my wireless charger into that. In my case, my wireless charger was not a pad on top, but a coil hot-glued to underside of the panel.

Relocating the 12v socket achieves the same end-result as @SVTPaul 's method above. My way is plug and play (at the expense of losing your driver-side 12v socket), while his way is hard-wired (and you keep your driver-side 12v socket). In either case I'm not sure how one would get the USB cable back up to the charging pad. Something to think about, I guess.

I put my brake controller knob into the empty 12v socket :D
1619720030315.png

Last edited:

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If that's the device and if that's a USB-C port then it should fit width wise. the height is no issue, there is probably more than twice that height available under the bracket.
ydlmkdfkqtljdydg0cau.jpg
Sponsored