First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger
Occupation
Semi retired
If I find a wireless charging pad that is powered by a usb cord will I be able to use apple car play to use apps such as maps ?
Sponsored

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
No idea if it actually works reliably and always a possibility that Apple patches out these uncertified products.
This happens every year. The companies usually catch up, but it takes a couple months.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
If I find a wireless charging pad that is powered by a usb cord will I be able to use apple car play to use apps such as maps ?
Quick answer no. Our truck are not equipped for wireless Carplay or Android Auto. That charging pad is just that, it does not provide any data connection to the phone. Still need to plug a cable in.

royalnewjersey

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Marketing
FYI - for those wondering - the "CPlay2Air" dongle can not be patched by Apple. They confirmed that there is hardware and software trickery that is mimicking the CarPlay signal to the USB port in the truck. In order for Apple to break this connection, they would also be breaking the protocols that make millions of wired devices function currently. The only way they could brick this device is if both Apple and Ford both updated their CarPlay software in the future, and it was incompatible with the way the dongle works currently. I have one and can confirm it works.

And to answer the OP's original question - No, wireless charging does not pass CarPlay data without also having a dongle like mentioned above.
Sponsored