Wireless Apple Carplay

onthejob

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, 501A, Spt Appearance, Tow, Fox Shocks
Has anyone figured out how to connect to Apple Carplay without having to plug your phone in every time? Wireless charging would be a plus. I heard it's going to be available with Sync 4.
Sponsored

Sako887

First Name
Sarkis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
This was the only option I found for wireless CarPlay.

OP
OP
onthejob

onthejob

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This was the only option I found for wireless CarPlay.

Man I hate videos, I'd rather read it. He could've have explained that in 30 seconds or I could have read a one paragraph description.

Have you tried this? I don't like the idea if there is an Apple software update that could brick this adapter.

Sako887

First Name
Sarkis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I personally haven’t tried it, but a buddy of mine has been using it for a couple of months and hasn’t had any issues. There’s definitely the risk of an Apple update bricking the device. The other option would be to turn off automatic updates on the iPhone. Depends on what you want more, iPhone updates or wireless CarPlay.

OP
OP
onthejob

onthejob

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally haven’t tried it, but a buddy of mine has been using it for a couple of months and hasn’t had any issues. There’s definitely the risk of an Apple update bricking the device. The other option would be to turn off automatic updates on the iPhone. Depends on what you want more, iPhone updates or wireless CarPlay.
My dream it to place my iPhone on a wireless charging pad and have it work flawlessly with Apple CarPlay and not pay a dime extra. Dare to dream. Or buy a BMW.

Last edited:

Sako887

First Name
Sarkis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
My dream it to place my iPhone on a wireless charging pad and have it work flawlessly with Apple CarPlay and not pay a dime extra. Dare to dream. Or buy a BMW.
That’s definitely another option lol

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Good friend of mine who is extremely techie and a gadget freak just showed me this tonight: https://carplay2air.com He has it running wireless Car Play on a Kenwood head unit, but they work with OEM head units also.

SteveT

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Forester
I purchased the CPLAY2air wireless adapter and have been using it for several weeks. It works as advertised with a couple shortcomings:
  • Because it's a Bluetooth connection, if you get out of the vehicle it will usually lose the connection. For example, if I get out and open and close the tailgate to take something out when I get back in I have to unplug it and plug it back in to reset it.
  • Also, because Bluetooth is slow and relatively narrow bandwidth compared to wifi, it sometimes takes a minute to update a map location and your vehicle movement. Once it establishes a good connection it doesn't appear to lag.
It works for what I bought it for, which is those "keep the phone in my pocket short trips." If I was going anywhere farther away I would make a hard connection anyway to keep the phone charged.

Viator092

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BMW 440i, 15 VW Golf TDI, 19 Ford Ranger Lariat
BMW doesn’t even have wireless chargers. I have seen them in a lot of GM trucks in the arm rest. That’s pretty cool.

Not true.

Viator092

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BMW 440i, 15 VW Golf TDI, 19 Ford Ranger Lariat
I too would like to have a reliable wireless CarPlay solution

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
Using carplay2air for 2 weeks now...works as advertised...no issues with music of the phone, apple maps, phone calls, siri or texting...Ill be mad if future sync 3 or apple updates brick it out but for now i'm lovin it.
looking for an elegant wireless charging solution especially if apple decides to get rid of the lightn[ng port on future phones.
I hate wires dangling all over the place.

Housemanager

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Supercab Ranger
Using carplay2air for 2 weeks now...works as advertised...no issues with music of the phone, apple maps, phone calls, siri or texting...Ill be mad if future sync 3 or apple updates brick it out but for now i'm lovin it.
looking for an elegant wireless charging solution especially if apple decides to get rid of the lightn[ng port on future phones.
I hate wires dangling all over the place.
I have been trying for several weeks to get this to work reliably. Some days no issues at all and other days I am ready to throw it out the window. Email company and they supplied instructions to reset the unit. I, and two friends, all following the instructions, could not get it to reset. Issues are:
Stuck in dark mode when using unit, hard wired no issue
Volume control comes and goes.
Times of no connection at all

Thinking of returning it, but I so wanted it to work.

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
Haven't had those issues. Running ios 14 and sync ver 3.4...won't be upgrading the sync till they get all the issues fixed. as for the cust service, i think the company is china based.
may want to update the carplay2air firmware...I did when I first got the unit and it worked flawlessly for me.
Sponsored