Wireless Charging

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
The USB tray in front of the shifter (USB port location) really should have Qi wireless charging built in. Seems like a bit of an oversight with most new phones supporting the feature. Ford does offer a wireless charging kit as an add-on so I know they have the tech.

I would expect something along these lines to be offered a bit later into the production or someone in the aftermarket will hopefully come up with a good OE style piece to provide this functionality.
Sponsored

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The USB tray in front of the shifter (USB port location) really should have Qi wireless charging built in. Seems like a bit of an oversight with most new phones supporting the feature. Ford does offer a wireless charging kit as an add-on so I know they have the tech.

I would expect something along these lines to be offered a bit later into the production or someone in the aftermarket will hopefully come up with a good OE style piece to provide this functionality.
Can you post the link for the Ford wireless charging kit?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

That was one of the features on the Tacoma I really liked. It would be awesome if I could add it to my Ranger.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like the Ford kit is only for the Edge. And the other link doesn't include the Ranger. But I did find some "DIY" type sites - I'm going to look at these in more detail....If I find anything good I will be certain to post it here.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I just plan on using one of the usb's from the back. As an extended cab model, they won't be used for much else.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
There are lots of charger pads on Amazon for very little cost. I used one in my Colorado in the console tray in front of the shifter. Worked great. There was a usb port and 12v port right next to it.

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase

I’ve thought the same thing too...I’m just going to plug-in my QI charger in the cubby bear the USB outlet.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I have wondered if a QI pad could be installed underneath that little tray in the dash. My questions would be (1) Is it large enough to old a standard smart phone? and (2) is the material thin enough at that point to allow QI charging through it?

OP
OP
rduvall

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
I have wondered if a QI pad could be installed underneath that little tray in the dash. My questions would be (1) Is it large enough to old a standard smart phone? and (2) is the material thin enough at that point to allow QI charging through it?
I have wondered the same thing!

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
If you use and Android auto or carplay you need to plug the phone in anyway.

I have a S8+ and it just sits on the right side of the cubby . I don't think wireless charging would work, because it can't sit flat.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
If you use and Android auto or carplay you need to plug the phone in anyway.

I have a S8+ and it just sits on the right side of the cubby . I don't think wireless charging would work, because it can't sit flat.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I have an iPhone XS Max and it can wirelessly charge, but does me no good because I use CarPlay pretty much exclusively.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I use Apple Car Play so USB connected and charging. I use a magnetic mount so no wireless charging due to metal plate on the inside of the case.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
This is my solution to wireless charging. I have a Samsung S7 and it just fits. Charger is held in place with velcro and power comes from 12v outlet. Disadvantage is that, although you can insert a thumb drive in USB port, you can't do that and use charger at same time. You'd have to unplug thumb drive in order to set your phone in place. Not an issue with me, but would be for some.

20190303_130802.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is my solution to wireless charging. I have a Samsung S7 and it just fits. Charger is held in place with velcro and power comes from 12v outlet. Disadvantage is that, although you can insert a thumb drive in USB port, you can't do that and use charger at same time. You'd have to unplug thumb drive in order to set your phone in place. Not an issue with me, but would be for some.

20190303_130802.jpg
3 questions for you:
  1. Why don't you plug the charger into the USB port?
  2. What kind of charger is that? It looks like it fits pretty snug in that tray (which is good).
  3. How hard is it for you to get your phone lined up correctly so that it charges? With many wireless chargers my experience has been that you have to put the phone on the charger in just the right spot in order for it to charge. Ideally, I'd love to be able to just set my phone down and it will charge. If it moves a bit it will still charge.
Thanks
Sponsored