First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Not sure if PLA will survive a hot summer, that's to be tested.

If you are interested I could print a few more. But as I said, it's work in progress. You would need to source the Carlinkit and QI charging pad yourself but if you are happy with how they work, message me and we can talk about getting you a 3D printed bracket.
I've used PLA for this kinda stuff before but it does end up warping on hot sunny days. It's funny how we forget all the times we've burned ourselves touching various controls on hot days... it didn't occur to me at the time that my prints would warp and melt in the same environment. ABS was great, though.

Is this design uploaded anywhere for the public to use/modify? I would be interested in toying with this design. If it doesn't already, I would be interested in making it so that the "AAWireless" from indiegogo fits underneath.

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2021 Audi Q5 PHEV
I've used PLA for this kinda stuff before but it does end up warping on hot sunny days. It's funny how we forget all the times we've burned ourselves touching various controls on hot days... it didn't occur to me at the time that my prints would warp and melt in the same environment. ABS was great, though.

Is this design uploaded anywhere for the public to use/modify? I would be interested in toying with this design. If it doesn't already, I would be interested in making it so that the "AAWireless" from indiegogo fits underneath.
It's too cold to print out in the workshop right now and printing ABS in the basement without ventilation is not the best thing to do. PLA melts about 30C lower than ABS (180C vs. 210C) but unless it sits in direct sunlight, PLA should be fine. I had an Intel NUC PLA braked in one of my last cars in the trunk for 4 years of Chicago summers and it didn't change a bit. Once it gets above 60F outside I will print a few in ABS.

Not ready yet to share the STL but there is plenty of space beneath the bracket. I have the Carlinkit in there and a 12V outlet extended from the cigarette lighter to power my Blackvue camera.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
It's too cold to print out in the workshop right now and printing ABS in the basement without ventilation is not the best thing to do. PLA melts about 30C lower than ABS (180C vs. 210C) but unless it sits in direct sunlight, PLA should be fine. I had an Intel NUC PLA braked in one of my last cars in the trunk for 4 years of Chicago summers and it didn't change a bit. Once it gets above 60F outside I will print a few in ABS.

Not ready yet to share the STL but there is plenty of space beneath the bracket. I have the Carlinkit in there and a 12V outlet extended from the cigarette lighter to power my Blackvue camera.
PLA seems to fare alright in trunks where there aren't windows to cause a greenhouse effect. It's warped for me in the cabin, though. If the interior starts to creep past 120F / 50C then it begins warping. Unfortunately even where I live it's pretty easy to get an interior that hot. Outside temps around 80F / 27C for an hour is all it takes to get an interior too hot for PLA. Inside Car Temperature Calculator | Good Calculators

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Dirk! Mine finally came today (after being delayed for a week due to weather) as well and it looks amazing:
20210226_164627.jpg

brholton

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Black Package
@DirkM I’d love to have one of these. I already have the wireless CarPlay module. DM me. Thank you!

JP11

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
I printed a few more, please contact me if you are interested. I also have a spare wireless charging pad.

IMG_2472.jpeg

IMG_2490.jpeg
How much are you charging for these?

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It took a few weeks to warm up but now I can finally print ABS. Had to make a few adjustments to make it not warp during the print but the bracket is pretty much the same as before.

The first picture shows the bracket right after being printed and it has the typical 3D printing "texture".
IMG_2580.jpeg

The next picture is a bracket without rails, after some sanding, priming and painting with flat black spray paint. There are two spare rails that can be attached using superglue or acetone before painting to fit the phone if needed.
IMG_2584.jpeg

The last picture was taking after sanding, priming and using "textured" spray paint. I didn't sand and prime enough and if you look carefully you can still see the 3D print marks.
IMG_2587.jpeg

I won't be making PLA brackets anymore until get gets too cold again and I won't sell those brackets sanded/primed/painted but if you are interested in a 3D printed ABS bracket as is, please message me.

And those who got the PLA brackets, the offer still stands and if you post a picture of your badly warped PLA bracket, I will send you an ABS one for free (you just pay for shipping).

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
@DirkM
That is really nice Dirk!
I use Android Auto for maps, is there room underneath to run a 2nd USB cable and drill a hole or make an edge mouse hole to bring the cable out?

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is plenty of space to route wires, I have my dash cam plugged in to a 12V outlet under the tray, plus the Carlinkit and a bunch of wires.
IMG_2594.jpeg
IMG_2598.jpeg

IMG_2591.jpeg
Sponsored