Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys 4Xe
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
...so no idea on how well it works.
The guys on Rennlist (Porsche) have been screwing around with wireless Carplay dongles for months. Very sporadic results and a lot of unhappy campers. The dongle has to be updated every time Apple farts. Colossal PITA.
Sponsored

dinosplace

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Very nice! Did you have any trouble with the upper tray seating back in correctly?
Today I ran the USB-C cable from the upper tray down to the my adapter in the hidden 12V socket:

1599509403502.png

I fished my automotive-felt-covered USB-C cable into the dash from the upper left area. The connector of my charging coil is actually at the lower left, but the route is better from the upper left. The excess cable will get coiled underneath anyway, so it's good this way.

View attachment 54412

Cable going downwards next to the radio head unit

View attachment 54418

View attachment 54413

And now peeking out below where I want it:

View attachment 54414

View attachment 54415

The excess cable coiled and now coming out from the lower left:

1599509467364.png

The 12V socket sitting sideways above the vehicle USB port module:

View attachment 54417

The empty driver-side 12V socket mount:

View attachment 54419
Very nice! Did you have any trouble with the upper tray seating back in correctly?
Charging in the lower is definitely ideal but my phone doesn't actually fit in the lower one :(
Nice job Ryan!

I just picked up my 2020 Ranger XLT today and I was disappointed to find out that the rear view mirror assembly housing was not fitted with a USB port for a dash cam or navigation unit. I read online that it was a new feature but after checking online again it seems to have been rolled out in Australia only. Just curious if your aware of anyone doing this modification. Should be standard.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Nice job Ryan!

I just picked up my 2020 Ranger XLT today and I was disappointed to find out that the rear view mirror assembly housing was not fitted with a USB port for a dash cam or navigation unit. I read online that it was a new feature but after checking online again it seems to have been rolled out in Australia only. Just curious if your aware of anyone doing this modification. Should be standard.
This is news to me. Would be a great feature to have in new vehicles though

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Didn't notice this - sorry!

It went back in easy peasy. Only issue I have is that the plastic is slippery so my phone slides around when turning. Many ways I can address that, though

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know how I am going to do it yet, but I plan to use this from Scosche on sale today(11/13) at Meh.com.
Bought from them before - these are the guys that started Woot.com and sold it to Amazon.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Sorry I'm late to the party... The link hare if from E39Source, a BMW E39 M5 resource that does all things, well, E39 M5.

This link is a YouTube video shows how he added wireless charging to the M5. How related to the Ranger?? The process is generic enough to be applied to most vehicles. I am planing on doing that process to my Ranger in the dashboard tray. As I don't need to use the phone for nav or such, I don't need to see the screen, the upper tray will be perfect.

Hope this helps others.

This video shows how to retrofit/install wireless charging in an E39 M5.
E39Source DIY Article: https://e39source.com/archives/5050
Wireless Charging Coil: https://www.amazon.com/Charging-Wirel...
Voltage Regulator: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...
Center Console Tray: 51168159694
To make your own power cable like I did: (1)
3 pin male [TE P/N 1-1718346-1]: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/... (1)
3 pin female [TE P/N 1-968700-1]: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/... (2)
3 pin female terminals [TE P/N 1355719-1]: https://www.digikey.com/product-detai... (4)
3 pin male terminals [TE P/N 1355717-1]: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...
18 pin wire to wire [TE P/N 1-962692-2]: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...

Last edited:

Agir

First Name
Agnes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020
Occupation
Solution Architect
I wish we wireless carplay. Not sure why that isn't an option on Sync 3. I see Sync 4 will have it but I bet it won't be retroactive to the Sync 3.
It actually is, you just have to order things from China. I'm trying to figure things out myself. I am adding a USB-C port, because Carplay is much faster that way--I learned in my Jeep.

Agir

First Name
Agnes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020
Occupation
Solution Architect
Can you post the take-apart PDF again? It doesn't load. I am trying to take out the USB port and I might be taking it apart in the wrong order cause the tray area back won't come out.

Thanks.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
It actually is, you just have to order things from China. I'm trying to figure things out myself. I am adding a USB-C port, because Carplay is much faster that way--I learned in my Jeep.
Agnes
Are you just replacing the plug with a C type? Please post results. If the head unit does not support USB C I don't see how that would make a diference as it's just the connectors. But as you sah it worked on your Jeep.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I wish we wireless carplay. Not sure why that isn't an option on Sync 3. I see Sync 4 will have it but I bet it won't be retroactive to the Sync 3.
The 5G Ranger will never get wireless Carplay or wireless Android Auto. Just like we won't get SYNC 4, our head units are not capable of it. It would require an expensive major hardware change.

Agir

First Name
Agnes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020
Occupation
Solution Architect
Agnes
Are you just replacing the plug with a C type? Please post results. If the head unit does not support USB C I don't see how that would make a diference as it's just the connectors. But as you sah it worked on your Jeep.
The Jeep came with I connect and USB-C. I had an F-150 Raptor previously and I upgraded a Sync to a Sync3 and they sent me a USB C plug. Which is now what I'm trying to add to this truck. I'll keep you posted.

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2021 Audi Q5 PHEV
Hello everybody,

I wanted to share how I added QI charging and wireless CarPlay to my wife's 2019 Ranger with Sync 3.

The project is still work in progress but I used a Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter U2W with support for 5GHz, a Wireless Car Charger pad and build a custom bracket that covers the bottom storage area. Both plug in to the Sync 3 USB-A outlets.

The older 2.4GHz Carlinkit 1.0 does not work well with Google Maps (not enough data throughput) but the 2.0 version is pretty stable. The QI charging pad supports 10W but not with the Sync 3 USB-A ports. It's fine to just maintain the charge while using wireless CarPlay though.

IMG_0002.jpeg

IMG_0004.jpeg

IMG_0012.jpeg

IMG_0014.jpeg

IMG_0017.jpeg

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0032.jpeg

IMG_0034.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 7.44.20 AM.png

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everybody,

I wanted to share how I added QI charging and wireless CarPlay to my wife's 2019 Ranger with Sync 3.

The project is still work in progress but I used a Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter U2W with support for 5GHz, a Wireless Car Charger pad and build a custom bracket that covers the bottom storage area. Both plug in to the Sync 3 USB-A outlets.

The older 2.4GHz Carlinkit 1.0 does not work well with Google Maps (not enough data throughput) but the 2.0 version is pretty stable. The QI charging pad supports 10W but not with the Sync 3 USB-A ports. It's fine to just maintain the charge while using wireless CarPlay though.

IMG_0002.jpeg

IMG_0004.jpeg

IMG_0012.jpeg

IMG_0014.jpeg

IMG_0017.jpeg

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0032.jpeg

IMG_0034.jpeg

That is an EXCELLENT design option. That looks like a product you could sell......

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everybody,

IMG_0002.jpeg
WOW!

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Cultivation technician II
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everybody,

IMG_0002.jpeg

IMG_0004.jpeg

IMG_0012.jpeg

IMG_0014.jpeg

IMG_0017.jpeg

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0032.jpeg

IMG_0034.jpeg

I love this so much
Sponsored