First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Why are you leveling? Is it purely for cosmetic reasons or is there a performance benefit?

While we’re at it, why is there such a pronounced raked to begin with? What is Ford’s reasoning behind it? Tow capacity?
Sponsored

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
I think yes, the rake is result of building the truck with best in class tow capacity while maintaining a (barely) tolerable ride.

For most, the leveling is 100% cosmetic. Owners are looking for a more aggressive stance, or looking to ease the rake.

Others are looking to add some off road capability be it approach angle or better fording depth.

Personally, I did a front/rear lowering just for making both cab and bed access easier.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
How are you gaining clearance??
Front diff and lower suspension does not move.
Approach angle would be the only gain, wish I measured mine before and after to see what it was.

Andrew, For me it was mostly cosmetic but I did go one size larger tire so that gave me more room in the wheel well. It also stiffened up the front end which I liked.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
Please explain the stiffening of the front end. I’ve read this many times yet I doubt it happens. The strut is not changed with a leveling kit that uses spacers on top of the strut, the control arms move as free as before and there is less weight on the nose.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Please explain the stiffening of the front end. I’ve read this many times yet I doubt it happens. The strut is not changed with a leveling kit that uses spacers on top of the strut, the control arms move as free as before and there is less weight on the nose.
I'm no shock expert but IIRC there's less travel so there's less rebound. It takes away some of the bounce people complain about. Now the best way is to replace the shocks with something better and adjustable. I never keep my vehicles long so this was the least expensive option for me.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
Less travel does not come from the strut, but the upper control arm hitting the strut tower at full droop. That happens sooner with a lift than stock, as the UCA is angled down. At normal driving that does not get close to happen as it would result in a big bang on the suspension.

Please check my thread where I elaborate on the matter.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/droop-limited-on-ranger.11099/

woodbyrd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX2 SCab
I personally kinda like the factory rake and don't plan on changing it. As I got my ranger primarily for hauling lumber, I could see maybe lowering the rear a tad just cause the bed is borderline obscenely high for that... I'd only look at leveling the front If I had any plans of any serious offroading with it for funcionality over looks.

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 04 Jaguar XJR, 21 Bronco Sport
Aerodynamics / fuel economy & payload / tow capacity. Baja & trophy trucks also have a nose down stance for desert racing & high speed jumps. I'm probably going to lift the front of my tremor 1" only. It'll still be raked (which I want for the Baja style) , just won't be as dramatic.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
How are you gaining clearance??
Front diff and lower suspension does not move.

56DE941B-5550-483A-857F-390C231E7DCF.jpeg

Raise the front end gain approach angle. That helps to get over obstacles. If you can’t put a wheel on the obstacle your not proceeding forward. That is why approach angles are important and advertised for off road vehicles.

A9449789-9955-44F2-AF38-4A2CA85DBE9A.jpeg

Front end also has 4 sensors that will be a costly repair if damaged. Level the front helps to get them to safer elevation. Leveling doesn’t eliminate the sensor issue but it helps when off-roading.

You were only thinking about the underside of the vehicle.
Sponsored