Why did you choose a Ranger over another Truck

BigOlBish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Rapid Red
Had an 05 tacoma before that I loved but it was only rwd and access cab so I had to upgrade. Drove a new tacoma and it felt pretty slow. Actually almost purchased a 2016 colorado last year but the sales manager said "we negotiate in 100s not 1000s" so passed on that. When it came down to it it was between the ranger or a gmc canyon at4 but I just didn't like how the parking brake hit my leg. And my dad's worked for ford since I can remember so that played into it as well.

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
I chose the Ranger because I had one which I bought new in November of 1999. It was a 2000 model year Trailhead edition. I absolutely loved that truck. I still had it when I heard that 2011 would be the last model year for the Ranger. I thought at the time that if Ford ever started making Rangers again they would probably be really cool with modern technology and a more powerful engine. Well, I heard the news about the 2019 Ranger and started thinking, "One day I'll own one of those..."
Fast forward to April of 2022 and it was apparent I needed a new truck as my old one was over 22 years old at that point. So I ordered one. And waited. 6 months later, I picked up my new one on October 8th, 2022. Was and still am totally blown away. So my old one I drove for almost exactly 23 years and put 280,000 miles on it. For me it was fate. It was meant to be. I couldn't believe that even the base model comes with a 270 horsepower engine. I didn't even consider anything else.
Very happy and love my new truck.
20230409_130038.jpg

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I had a 1998 Ranger which ran perfectly but in 2016, I was rearended while sitting at a light. I was hit at 55MPH, and the driver never tried to stop, yet tested negative for drugs and alcohol and just stated he remembered driving and then the air bag in his car and nothing else. My head went through the back window of the truck and the front window of the cap. I was bruised all over my body and the glass that fell out of those widows fell towards my eye missing the eye by 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Recovery was long, but I missed my truck. I settled on a vehicle that while nice wasn't a Ranger, so when in 2019 the Ranger became available, I sought out my current ride...Hot Pepper Red Ranger Lariat!!! I love it and it is so much fun to drive!!!!

DSJ_5077 (1).jpg

DSJ_4972 (1).jpg

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I chose the Ranger because I had one which I bought new in November of 1999. It was a 2000 model year Trailhead edition. I absolutely loved that truck. I still had it when I heard that 2011 would be the last model year for the Ranger. I thought at the time that if Ford ever started making Rangers again they would probably be really cool with modern technology and a more powerful engine. Well, I heard the news about the 2019 Ranger and started thinking, "One day I'll own one of those..."
Fast forward to April of 2022 and it was apparent I needed a new truck as my old one was over 22 years old at that point. So I ordered one. And waited. 6 months later, I picked up my new one on October 8th, 2022. Was and still am totally blown away. So my old one I drove for almost exactly 23 years and put 280,000 miles on it. For me it was fate. It was meant to be. I couldn't believe that even the base model comes with a 270 horsepower engine. I didn't even consider anything else.
20230409_130038.jpg
Like that you chose a S/Cab over a S/Crew...the Velocity Blue Metallic is especially handsome.

Here's my '20 S/Cab, I ordered it in Aug.2019 and took delivery of it in Jan. 2020.

As you can see, I rarely drive it and am entertaining the notion of selling it...

I am reasonably certain it is the lowest mileage '20 Ranger still licensed,registered and driveable on the planet!
20230430_113301_2.jpg
20230430_112245_1 (1).jpg
r

fjnardo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Deputy Fire Chief
Had an 2004 F150 for years and loved it but wanted a Jeep for more fun. While the 2012 Jeep was fun for awhile, it just wasn't practical for hauling what I needed. I love overlanding and wanted something to haul my fishing kayak around without breaking my back putting it on top of the Jeep. I love everthing that the Ranger offered for my needs.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer

Similar story here. We have a 1993 4.0L extended cab Ranger with 280,000 miles. The only significant thing that happened during that time was that at around 230,000 miles the transmission broke leaving only gears 1-3 and Reverse functional, which at least allowed us to limp home and have it overhauled at a local shop for a pretty reasonable price. We replaced it with the 2019 S/Cab when it became clear that it was no longer cut out for longer trips, but it's still our 'beater' for driving around locally in the winter so we don't need to worry as much about someone sliding into us.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Saw this in latest CR auto issue. No way they properly tested this vehicle. Stiff and choppy ride? More like bouncy. Engine noisy at low speeds? Sounds like they drove it from cold startup about 2 blocks and called it a day. LOVE my Ranger by the way, 36k and zero issues.
IMG_20230429_184348_HDR.jpg

Wablackwell22

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger
Occupation
Paralegal
I've driven sports sedans and coupes my whole life, but at 6'5 and 40 years old, I was tired of "falling into" my cars, and/or hitting my head on the A pillar when I got into it; so I decided I wanted a truck. I've always liked Fords, but I didn't really want a full size truck, nor could I afford the cost of a new full size that had all of the stuff that I wanted. That said, I did have to choose if I wanted to wait for the 6G Ranger or get a 5th gen. I liked the looks of the 5th gen more, but I thought the interior of the 6th might be worth waiting for. I decided on a 23 (5th gen) because with Ford's recent delivery woes, I'd probably be waiting until late 24 until my truck came in. I usually only keep a car for about 2 years anyways, so I went with my 23 Lariat. I might trade it in for a 24 or 25 Ranger next year ( or maybe a raptor, if I can convince the wife!!)

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
SCCA Solo club had been using my house as storage for the club trailer (>6,000lb, no WD setup), I had no truck. I also wanted to get a car trailer for races I want to tow the car to beyond my home area. F150 was a no go since the club trailer was over 5,000lb and no WD setup. So Super Duty or Ranger were my Ford options. Having the RS, I knew I liked the 2.3l engine and I've heard good about that 10spd in other Ford models. I looked at other mid size trucks, but the only ones at the time rated for more towing than the Ranger were hard to find diesel models with markup on most of them. My local dealer got this 21 Cyber Orange Super Crew XLT with Black Appearance, tech and tow packages shortly after the person that dropped that club trailer off put in where I could not drive my mower front the back to front yard and I was sold.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Saw this in latest CR auto issue. No way they properly tested this vehicle. Stiff and choppy ride? More like bouncy. Engine noisy at low speeds? Sounds like they drove it from cold startup about 2 blocks and called it a day. LOVE my Ranger by the way, 36k and zero issues.
We live in an area with steep one-lane roads and need to drive slowly. Numerous times we've approached people walking their dogs from behind and they didn't hear us coming until we were almost right behind them. The engine might not be the quietest of all small trucks, but it definitely isn't noisy except for the first half a minute after startup as you mention.

The ride is different than our old Ranger and different than the Tacoma (which we also test-drove), but I wouldn't describe it as worse. None of the recent small trucks, except maybe the Hondas, have an SUV-like ride, which is what most reviewers seem to expect.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I was in the market for a larger truck since I was driving a TACO 2WD Scab V6 and it was a big low for towing my off road tent trailer. I took one test drive and was sold. I wanted the Lariat in Silver and another dealer had one on the lot. Now almost 3 years later I still love my Lucille more daily!

jtzako

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
Equipped the way I want, and I fit comfortably and it drives well. I dont fit in Taco's very well (head hits the ceiling) and the brake pedal feels like a switch with no feel. Didnt want a Colorado unless it was the new one, but those were not readily available.

taralon

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
IT
I wanted a pickup ever since I totalled by 2004 Quad cab 4x4 Ram 1500 in 2012. I've put off buying a new pickup for cost reasons as my wife and I paid off debt and built up savings. My most recent vehicle, a 2010 Fusion Hybrid, had issues getting emissions checked on the Front Range of Colorado which put me in the position of buying a 'new' vehicle.

As part of the process I decided I was going to look into getting a pickup again. Tacoma's were on my list, but in Colorado they command a high price used even at mileages (60K+) that I wouldn't consider. I did find and test drive a manual 2019 4x4 4 cylinder access cab with 30K miles, but it couldn't get out of its own way, get abysmal gas mileage for a 5 speed 4 cylinder, drove like a 1980s beater, and was beat to piss rock crawling.

Colorado/Canyons were also on my list, but the 4 cylinder was very rough once it kicks into low idle, and the seats were excruciatingly painful to me. They drove ok, but the seat fit in every one I sat in meant it wasn't a contender.

Didn't look at Frontier's because I knew too many people that were bit by the automatic tranmission cooler/engine coolant problem that plagued(plagues?) Nissan. Plus my wife thinks they are ugly and wasn't willing to let me buy one.

Maverick's were high on my list, but there wasn't one within 500 miles new or used for under $36K, and the only ones within 100 miles I could find were above $38K.

I couldn't find anything used in the area in a Ram 1500 regular cab shortbed 4x4 with the 3.6 pentastar v6 that wasn't super high mileage or beat to piss as a construction fleet vehicle. Other full size pickups really weren't on my radar.

In the end I bought the Ranger because it test drove beautifully and was at a price point I could live with. Plenty of power (hello turbo!), engine idled smooth, and it was comfortable. Does it drive a little truckish? Yes, but outside of the Maverick it was the best handling one I drove (even in the FX4 trim). It also got second best in fuel mileage during the test drive (only the Mav was better).

The only way I'd be more pleased with the purchase is if it had been a scab instead of a screw.
Sponsored