Why did YOU choose a mid-size truck?

Ryan...

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Range Rover Sport
Hey guys, former F150 owner, in the process of finding my Ranger at this moment.

Everyone I work with drives trucks, full size trucks to be exact. Around here there's almost a stigma to buying anything smaller than a full size, crew cab, 4x4 behemoth like I used to own. I have a good group of friends, and as such, they're roasting the living bejeezus out of me for looking at Rangers/Colorados/Tacomas, etc..

Assuming I'm not alone, what led you to go for a mid-size truck vs the larger counterparts?

The reasons I give:

1. Simple enough, I don't need a full size truck.
2. Better fitment in garage, parking spots, small enough that the fiance can drive it if needed
3. Better suited for our 4x4 trails
4. Better MPG
5. My genitals are not in need of an automotive extension
Sponsored

soloer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
  1. Easier to park
  2. Rarely need a truck, and when I do a midsize is (normally) enough
  3. Should be easier to take on trails when I get around to it
  4. Only have one passenger with me at a time, so space is fine

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It's a guy thing. You'll never win the argument because logically for 9 out of 10 full size truck owners, they didn't buy based on logic. If they did why would they throw their money down a hole by driving around 90% of the time in an empty vehicle that is capable of hauling 6 people and 2 tons of materials?

For me it's about living within one's means... a topic that seems to be lost today.

1) Today's mid size trucks are nearly as big as the short bed pickups of the 60's-70's-80's.
2) If I need more capacity I've got a 5' x 10' tilt bed trailer. It's easier to load / unload than a full size truck.

Ranger and Tilt Bed Trailer.JPG

Last edited:

Randy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2019
Vehicle Showcase
It's a guy thing. You'll never win the argument because logically for 9 out of 10 full size truck owners, they didn't buy based on logic. If they did why would they throw their money down a hole by driving around 90% of the time in an empty vehicle that is capable of hauling 6 people and 2 tons of materials?

For me it's about living within one's means... a topic that seems to be lost today.

1) Today's mid size trucks are nearly as big as the short bed pickups of the 60's-70's-80's.
2) If I need more capacity I've got a 5' x 10' tilt bed trailer. It's easier to load / unload than a full size truck.

This guy is right on point here.... mid size is the way to go. Unless your towing needs warrant a bigger block to pull it.

RCNGunnr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 Sport Appearance, Hot Pepper Red
Occupation
Naval Warfare Officer
I live in a a built up suburb of the regional capital, cart road style downtown so narrow and not well laid out.

I always found that the people i know in full sizes have issues getting into parking/driving around here. Adding onto that the limited size of my garage and that historically I was perfectly happy with the old compact style rangers. I didn't feel any need to move into a full size, so long as the head room was sufficient in the mid size catagory.

The other key factor came down to why I got my first mid size. My wife had never driven anything larger then her families dynasty of Toyota Camrys before meeting me, and when we met I drove a manual transmission saturn ion as my first car. When I got posted here to the east coast and commissioned as an officer, I decided I wanted something newer then the old manual transmission that she wouldnt drive as she scared herself out of manual transmissions on the hills of Vancouver Island. So, when we got to Halifax, I gave the ultimatum of automatic truck or manual transmission car. She test drove the old ranger, realized she loved the height it gave while still being somewhat compact, and the rest is history...

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Pretty much the same as yours

1: No need/use for a full size truck
2: Won't fit in the garage and I'm not leaving a $40K+ truck outside
3: Much easier to off road in tighter trails
4: Mid size has enough towing capacity
5: Have you seen the size of the F 150's!:D

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
1 - Don't need to haul/pull anything big enough for a full size PU
2 - Easier on fuel
3- Much better off the road on narrow & winding trails, easier parking, plenty of power
4 - With our teardrop trailer or 5x10 utility trailer, we can have the best of both worlds for towing, camping, hauling & driving
5 - Less expensive than a full size truck
6 - I like it

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'd actually be fine with an even smaller truck, but that isn't a thing you can buy today in the US.
I'm in agreement with others, however this one is true for me as well. The size of the "old" Ranger was just perfect for me. I love my new Ranger, but if it were smaller it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. Bigger is DEFINITELY not necessarily better. My biggest need is to be able to fit on narrow, brushy forest service roads which my old Ranger did very well. My new one does fine, but I sometimes need to fold in the mirrors.

My perfect Ranger would be the size of the 4G Ranger, Crew Cab with a 6 foot bed. Best of all worlds, IMO. Are you listening, Ford? :like:

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty much everything everyone else has stated.
1. No need for a full-size
2. MPGs
3. Easier to park
4. Easier to get in and out of (even after I level it)

:LOL: Yah, this too.

bluefirestarter

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue Ranger Lariat Sport 501a
I had a 2017 Ford Escape and wanted something we could haul more stuff around (mulch, blocks, gas cans, pool supplies.) I thought about the F150 but hated how big it was. I test drove the Ranger it had the great 2.3 I had in my ecoboost Mustang and the same 10 speed auto I have in my new Mustang GT. I've had it for week now and absolutely love it.

PvtZoller

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Full size capability is not necessary for my day to day. We have a company Sprinter Van for serious hauling.

Our budget would have limited us to a much less equipped model had we elected to order a neW F-150 instead of the Ranger.

With honorable mention to the GMC canyon, have a you seen this 2019 Ranger? There is not a better looking truck available today.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My 07 Ranger was showing its age...I have no need for a truck, but just wanted one...for the rare occasion like when I needed to replace my patio pealed posts and hauled 4x6s home from HomeDepot. Would not work in the Lincoln...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but want midsize because:
1) Full size is larger, and thus more difficult to navigate in traffic
2) Full size is larger, and thus more difficult to find appropriate parking spots at times
3) Full size is larger, and thus doesn't fit well in my garage
4) Full size is larger, and thus doesn't get quite as good of gas mileage (though I must say, I'm impressed with what Ford has done on this front with the F-150)
5) All the payload and towing numbers of a midsize are more than sufficient for my needs

There seems to be a theme there.

Reasons I haven't completely ruled out the full size yet:
1) Having that extra seat up front would be useful at times
2) I've always got projects going on, and I'm not thrilled at the prospect of hauling lumber with a 5' bed.

I've heard lots of folks with larger pickups insist that their choice of vehicle in no way relates to their feeling of security in this area, an assertion that would be much more believable if rubber testicles were a less common accessory on such trucks.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, former F150 owner, in the process of finding my Ranger at this moment.

Everyone I work with drives trucks, full size trucks to be exact. Around here there's almost a stigma to buying anything smaller than a full size, crew cab, 4x4 behemoth like I used to own. I have a good group of friends, and as such, they're roasting the living bejeezus out of me for looking at Rangers/Colorados/Tacomas, etc..

Assuming I'm not alone, what led you to go for a mid-size truck vs the larger counterparts?

The reasons I give:

1. Simple enough, I don't need a full size truck.
2. Better fitment in garage, parking spots, small enough that the fiance can drive it if needed
3. Better suited for our 4x4 trails
4. Better MPG

First of all.I don't want a full size truck. Fits in my Garage with the wifes CRV with room to walk around both of them. That would not happen on a full size. It would take up way too much space in the garage.

MY Ranger can traverse most fire trails without 4WD
Sponsored