RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
From Pasadena? Not bad at all - fun drive home. I hope you get your truck set up. I have mine where I want it - for now at least.

My lockdown days are spent caring for my wife who is now starting her 11th month of COVID-19 as a “long-hauler” with no clear end in sight.

She is young and beautiful but now has the health issues of a ninety year old and requires the same level of care.

D3D6AC13-356B-4B90-ACF2-5DA5AB943097.jpeg

So, it seems a lot of us are doing the right things to keep ourselves and others safe.

We work on fixing up or simply shining up our trucks, take drives to our favourite hiking places and make plans for next summer or fall.

Keep up the good work - I’ll join you all as soon as I can. In the meantime, I have someone who really needs me to stay healthy and to stay at home right now.

She’d be in a very bad place if I caught this virus so I’m doing what I can to stay safe - I hope you do too.
Duke, I'm so sorry to hear about your wife. It is one of the weirdest thing about this virus - How some people can be almost unaffected and others get hit really hard. My 92 year old mom, who has asthma and respiratory issues contracted it a few weeks ago, but it didn't even seem to phase her. She is fine now. I expected that if she got it, it would kill her, but it didn't.

Stay safe and know there are people praying that your wife soon recovers from this awful virus.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DrewKD88

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
If I can make a recommendation for your future trip through BC to Alaska, I would recommend trying to cross the border near Creston BC, over Kootenay Pass into Nelson and through Nelson to Highway 6 up the Slocan Valley to Revelstoke. Highway 6 is extremely beautiful and the bonus is you get a free ferry ride across Arrow Lakes and many natural hot springs to stop at along the way. Ive been all over BC and the interior Kootenay region is really a hidden gem and the reason I live here. Extra bonus, plan to be in Hyder Alaska for early august to watch the grizzly bears feeding on spawning Salmon. I also looked at the Smartcap EVO but ultimately went with the LEER 100XR because it looks rather stealth and doesnt look like an obvious camper set up, which can be good for stealth camping. I have always been a toyota guy but decided to go with the ranger after hours and hours of research and i am glad i did. You sound like you are on track to having an awesome build, look forward to following along! If the borders open up and you want a bit of a local guide as you travel through, let me know! Here is a photo taken on Hwy 6 after skiing in the Goat Range
02A2E643-BA11-4614-8D34-5C11D4EA16EC.jpeg
I had planned on staying in Revelstoke. It was on the way to Banff and other NP's. The place looks absolutely beautiful from all of the pictures that I've seen. Thank you for the recommendations!

OP
OP
DrewKD88

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
I work in a medical clinic. We do not treat Covid patients but plenty of patients that up come here for surgery are positive. Lots of staff members have contacted it as well. Duke, I will definitely say a prayer for you and your wife. God Bless!

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
From Pasadena? Not bad at all - fun drive home. I hope you get your truck set up. I have mine where I want it - for now at least.

My lockdown days are spent caring for my wife who is now starting her 11th month of COVID-19 as a “long-hauler” with no clear end in sight.

She is young and beautiful but now has the health issues of a ninety year old and requires the same level of care.

So, it seems a lot of us are doing the right things to keep ourselves and others safe.

We work on fixing up or simply shining up our trucks, take drives to our favourite hiking places and make plans for next summer or fall.

Keep up the good work - I’ll join you all as soon as I can. In the meantime, I have someone who really needs me to stay healthy and to stay at home right now.

She’d be in a very bad place if I caught this virus so I’m doing what I can to stay safe - I hope you do too.
Sorry to hear about your wife. Hopefully her symptons go away or that they find a treatment for them.

Covid is so random on who it affects and doesn’t affect.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
If I can make a recommendation for your future trip through BC to Alaska, I would recommend trying to cross the border near Creston BC, over Kootenay Pass into Nelson and through Nelson to Highway 6 up the Slocan Valley to Revelstoke. Highway 6 is extremely beautiful and the bonus is you get a free ferry ride across Arrow Lakes and many natural hot springs to stop at along the way. Ive been all over BC and the interior Kootenay region is really a hidden gem and the reason I live here. Extra bonus, plan to be in Hyder Alaska for early august to watch the grizzly bears feeding on spawning Salmon. I also looked at the Smartcap EVO but ultimately went with the LEER 100XR because it looks rather stealth and doesnt look like an obvious camper set up, which can be good for stealth camping. I have always been a toyota guy but decided to go with the ranger after hours and hours of research and i am glad i did. You sound like you are on track to having an awesome build, look forward to following along! If the borders open up and you want a bit of a local guide as you travel through, let me know! Here is a photo taken on Hwy 6 after skiing in the Goat Range
02A2E643-BA11-4614-8D34-5C11D4EA16EC.jpeg
Your post is like going down memory lane. I have been to all of those places, some of them many times.

BC is a beautiful province.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO

Prayers for your wife Duke.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man

As someone who always has something to say, I have no words other than that's awful Duke. I'm so sorry y'all are going through this.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
So how long did that poor person have to stand on the side of the road waiting for you to drive by for the perfect shot? Did you at least manage to get it on the first try? ;)

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
So how long did that poor person have to stand on the side of the road waiting for you to drive by for the perfect shot? Did you at least manage to get it on the first try? ;)
Haha good question! I was actually the one standing on the side of the road while my brother drove, and this was right around the corner from the parking area we skied from that day and I managed to get it first shot. I am actually going to be doing a little bit of photography of the ranger for one of the local dealerships, but i am trying to wait until I have my whole set up installed before I take too many...im starting to get impatient waiting for everything to show up but all in all, I cant really complain because others have been so much more impacted by the pandemic then me simply waiting for luxury vehicle accessories to show up. I will post some photos here once it is complete and ive done a few dedicated shoot days with it

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
Your post is like going down memory lane. I have been to all of those places, some of them many times.

BC is a beautiful province.
It really is beautiful, I went to college in Ottawa and then started my career in Barrie, Ontario and I think alot of people underestimate the beauty that Ontario and Quebec hold as well. Some of my fondest memories have been driving through Algonquin Park in the fall or spending a summer planting trees in Northern Ontario. I cant wait to be able to go back and visit family in Ontario again

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
At first, I thought maybe @scubasteve278 staged it and took it himself - definitely makes me want to move there just to drive my Ranger around in that setting.

I think I may have made a Sasquatch sighting while I was zooming in.

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
Thanks for the support! And I agree, lots of great rigs on this forum.
Hey RangerVA, i absolutely love your rig. Seems like you use it to get out camping, any recommendations on anything that makes it just a little bit more enjoyable that most people forget about? after reviewing yours, I realized I need to order an awning. It looks like I will be able to mount one on my Prinsu Topper rack fairly easily. I will also have my Great Dane with me anytime we go anywhere, do you bring a dog out with you? I am not new to camping by any means, and ive spent many many nights sleeping in the back seat of my Tundra but told myself that I have earned a full on dedicated camping/skiing/mtb set up. Any recommendations on anything that makes it slightly more comfortable is appreciated

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
At first, I thought maybe @scubasteve278 staged it and took it himself but then I noticed what looks like a hand on the wheel at 12 o’clock - so, maybe he made his brother jump out and did a drive by - either way, it makes me want to move there just to drive my Ranger around in that setting.

I think I may have made a Sasquatch sighting while I was zooming in.
nice detective work! My Sasquatch air freshener has been with me for over 10 years, i will never let that go! When I lived in Ontario I grew a massive beard and my friends all called me "Squatchy" and i was gifted that air freshener, no matter were i go he (or she?) always seems to fit into the scenery. I have yet to spot one myself ;)

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Hey RangerVA, i absolutely love your rig. Seems like you use it to get out camping, any recommendations on anything that makes it just a little bit more enjoyable that most people forget about? after reviewing yours, I realized I need to order an awning. It looks like I will be able to mount one on my Prinsu Topper rack fairly easily. I will also have my Great Dane with me anytime we go anywhere, do you bring a dog out with you? I am not new to camping by any means, and ive spent many many nights sleeping in the back seat of my Tundra but told myself that I have earned a full on dedicated camping/skiing/mtb set up. Any recommendations on anything that makes it slightly more comfortable is appreciated
Hey Steve! Thanks for your kind words! Yes, I always camp with my two dogs. I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a German Shepherd. The Ridgeback rides in the back seat and sleeps in the swag with me, and the GSD rides and sleeps in the truck bed. On some nights, the three of us sleep in the truck bed.

In terms of your question about comfort, I think the small things add up and personal choice is the best metric for what makes up meaningful small things. Quality gear is always worth it, and personal choice is always evolving, but that just means you are, too!

In terms of the Prinsu rack, I’m not too familiar with that rack but for a 270 awning you might need to buy adapters for the brackets.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DrewKD88

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
RangerVA, are there mounts for a lightbar on your bumper just below the Round lights that you have installed. I want to get the ARB bumper and I don't know where to install my 20" lightbar on it. I also have 3" amber fog cubes and would need to find a spot for those as well. Any hints or advice with that ARB bumper?
Sponsored