2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
...I kill myself tomorrow? o_O

Tips appreciated.

IMG_20220106_183813.jpg

IMG_20220106_161242.jpg
If I had to do it again, I'd find a shop to mount the springs...those tools are pretty sketchy and are widow makers for a good reason...shops have special compression tools that can do it fast/safe and without marring up your tubes... ?

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
If I had to do it again, I'd find a shop to mount the springs...those tools are pretty sketchy and are widow makers for a good reason...shops have special compression tools that can do it fast/safe and without marring up your tubes... ?
Well I already planned to do the compression and all that aimed at a 6x6 fence post so I have that much covered haha.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Curious why you didn't "borrow" the clamp tools from Autozone?

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Curious why you didn't "borrow" the clamp tools from Autozone?
Not that expensive really and I figured at some point in the future I may need them again or need to help a family or friend.

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger (SCrew Lariat Tremor)
Ahh the memories. Smashed my thumb one time using my set of spring compressors....

Smear a light coat of grease on the threads of the all thread rods. You do NOT want those binding up as you turn the rod. Do NOT get that grease on the spring seats. (bad juju if you do)

Do NOT turn one rod more than a turn or two, before switching over to the other side. Once one side gets too far compressed, the other side can get loose and swing around. (see comment about smashed thumb above) This makes it a REALLY slow and arduous process... but, deal with it; that's the penalty for using this tool.

I'll finish by saying that It's a tool that works, but it's the most ancient of ways to do it. If you have a spare vehicle, it's actually worth just removing the assembly from the truck, bringing it as a whole with the new shocks/struts to a shop and having them use their large machine to replace quickly. Most decent shops won't charge more than a few bucks for a pair, provided they don't have to remove or install onto a vehicle. (my local guy will do all four corners for me now for $20, but they've known me well for years now)

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Not that expensive really and I figured at some point in the future I may need them again or need to help a family or friend.
Agreed, always buy the tool vs rent if the cost difference is neglible.

Tools are good!