Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Probably seemed like some BS at first, I’m sure, but probably a quick way to learn!

For “fun”, I could chunk the tubing, halve a chunk, and fill in the resulting half-pipe.

That’d be a lot of mig wire. How much does that cost? ?

Just kidding. Ain’t got time to fill anything in, but I may use it for practice stock of sorts.

I’ll be using MIG, as I understand it’s a bit easier to learn. Any tips?
It was a very good way to learn. We were told to "play" with the settings/amperage, different rods, different diameter rods, and see what they did.
MIG is easier to use, but getting the settings just right is the hard part. A setting that will make a good fillet weld (like a 90* inside corner), probably won't work good for a butt weld. Kinda like painting, preparation is key....beveling and the right space between the pieces are key. If you're welding new steel, removing the mill scale will help in getting better penetration and stronger welds. Hitting the steel lightly with a angle grinder to get to "shiny metal" will make it much easier.
Are you running MIG or flux core ? I've seen people get really frustrated when using flux core wire. For a beginner, differentiating between the flux and filler metal is tough. Same thing with stick welding. That's why most people find MIG much easier--no flux.
The best way to learn is looooots of practice. And youtube videos too.
Sponsored

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I have been able to sell the Hankooks and finally the running boards on Craigslist. I figured any money was better than none, but it took about 6 weeks for each to sell. The young couple that bought the running boards knew they were getting a great deal for their recently purchased used Ranger, so we were all happy.
No space to store parts so I try to sell. Any body want to buy a front bumper?

DaytonBenson

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Shipping and receiving
I keep OEM takeoffs for any vehicle I do modifications to, so that when I want to sell or trade it in, I can put stock parts back on and sell my aftermarket stuff.

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
For exhausts, I’ve never seen anyone buy the OEM. Even 3-5 years later. I use a nice speed shop that handles my exhaust work. I let them dispose of them. Going back 5 cars they have bolted on the new stuff for around $50.

look on eBay or even this site, no one is bidding.

I still have 2 Harley OEM exhausts sitting in plastic trash bags in my shed. since I did them myself, I couldn’t bring myself to toss them. I have told myself that when we downsize, it will be time to throw them out.

gmontes1105

First Name
Gregorio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I have been able to sell the Hankooks and finally the running boards on Craigslist. I figured any money was better than none, but it took about 6 weeks for each to sell. The young couple that bought the running boards knew they were getting a great deal for their recently purchased used Ranger, so we were all happy.
No space to store parts so I try to sell. Any body want to buy a front bumper?
How much for the front bumper ?! Hit a deer & bent mine a bit..

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
hmmm, guess I need to figure that out. Shipping is gonna be a bear,
you cant get much farther south in Carolina than where you are at, can you?

gmontes1105

First Name
Gregorio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
hmmm, guess I need to figure that out. Shipping is gonna be a bear,
you cant get much farther south in Carolina than where you are at, can you?
Yeah tell me about it, I have a buddy of mine from Akron but we all are restricted from leaving the base vicinities
Let me know what you want for it + shipping tho

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
If it’s a vehicle I’m not planning on keeping, then I keep the takeoff parts for when I want to sell it, return it to stock and sell the aftermarket parts. If I’m keeping it forever, I usually can sell the parts to someone fixing wrecked cars (my last was a focus st). People getting salvage cars will pay decent for front end parts, engine parts, etc. even exhaust sells pretty good.
Sponsored