What is everyone paying for their 5th Gen Ranger?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Hi New friends. I've been watching this site for a bit now and looking for some insight. I'm looking for my first Ford vehicle and first truck and looking at the ranger. I haven't bought a vehicle in over 10 years and I'm not sure what kind of room I can move the pricing needle.
Looking for:
2019-2020 SuperCab (I want the 6'bed for build out), Heated seats, and FX4 stuff.
I think that means I need the 302A, and FX4 package. It's looking like Pricing puts it at about $37K. I did sign up for xplan pricing through the mustang club deal and that's quoting $36K. The lariat Xplan looks like ~$35K... It seems like the Xplan isn't that great... I was thinking I'd be able to talk down to $32K for the pricing before incentives and the destination/taxes etc... Xplan is touted as a crazy good deal and about as low as a price I can get, but if I can only reduce pricing by $1K... it seems like there isn't much I can do to get a better deal? Am I missing something? Is it realistic that I can can find a better deal than X Plan? thanks in advance for your help.
X-plan will get you a good, but not a "crazy good" deal. It's great because you can walk in, get the exact truck you want, and, since the price is strictly determined by a formula, you don't have to haggle at all. The dealer is not allowed to change the purchase price at all; however, like Phil said, the Ford incentives (like factory rebates) stack with X-plan.

Is it realistic that you can find a better deal outside of x-plan? Absolutely! Especially if you're willing to compromise on what features you want.

One last thing I want to add about x-plan is that even though the dealer can't change the purchase price from the price determined by the X-plan formula, there is other lines they can adjust on the transaction. I did x-plan, and my dealer decreased the final price for me by ~2k by simply accounting for it on the trade-in side of the equation. Also, during negotiations there was suddenly a couple extra $500 rebates available. I think (but could very well be wrong) that dealers are given a limited number of those rebates to use at their discretion, and since they're factory rebates, they're compatible with x-plan.

Good luck!
Sponsored

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I dont have a ranger.... yet.... ill eventually get one but am in no rush. Was looking at this post for awhile and i tried going into a few dealerships to try my luck in the PNW since they had 2019 0% apr deals.

But car dealerships here wouldnt budge at all. They were not trying to offer true market value (edmunds and truecar) for a car if it was 0%. Even though their cars are 2019 and one of them have been on lot for over 3months. Basically they had an XLT going for 40k listed and a lariet for 43k listed. Well over their true value imo, they tried adding some crappy rims and a factory 2 in lift and up charge a crap load.

but oh well I’ll probably wait until next year and try to purchase a pre-owned. Hope this helps ppl get insight into current market/offers etc.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
But car dealerships here wouldnt budge at all. They were not trying to offer true market value (edmunds and truecar) for a car if it was 0%. Even though their cars are 2019 and one of them have been on lot for over 3months. Basically they had an XLT going for 40k listed and a lariet for 43k listed. Well over their true value imo, they tried adding some crappy rims and a factory 2 in lift and up charge a crap load.
Wow, they aren't giving you the "employee discount" deal in the states? That's what I paid for a 2020 Lariat in Canada at exchange rate of $1.33 with no discount from dealer except for 3k or so off for "employee pricing". You're right to pass those "deals" up. It's always good to not be in a rush if you want a good deal. Good luck!

leadtheway

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No
I know what you mean. I just spoke to a dealer with a 2019 Lariat Crew 4x4 Plat White, sticker is about 42, he won't take less than 37.5. And it's a "demo" with 2,XXX miles on it still calling it "brand new".

Don't people get 2020, 0 miles, Fx4's for around 37-38? By that valuation, a 2020, 0 mile WP Fx4 would be.... sticker price. I like the Ranger but I don't like it 40 grand worth. Maybe if it was *actually loaded*, like a King Ranch or something, power lumbar, more luxurious interior instead of all the hard plastics, built in tailgate dampening, bed lighting, and on and on, then sure. But it's definitely more of a "mid thirty thousand dollar truck" than a "forty plus", IMO.

I do really like it though. Maybe I'll call him back tomorrow and offer 35. I don't know. What do you guys think?

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I know what you mean. I just spoke to a dealer with a 2019 Lariat Crew 4x4 Plat White, sticker is about 42, he won't take less than 37.5. And it's a "demo" with 2,XXX miles on it still calling it "brand new".

Don't people get 2020, 0 miles, Fx4's for around 37-38? By that valuation, a 2020, 0 mile WP Fx4 would be.... sticker price. I like the Ranger but I don't like it 40 grand worth. Maybe if it was *actually loaded*, like a King Ranch or something, power lumbar, more luxurious interior instead of all the hard plastics, built in tailgate dampening, bed lighting, and on and on, then sure. But it's definitely more of a "mid thirty thousand dollar truck" than a "forty plus", IMO.

I do really like it though. Maybe I'll call him back tomorrow and offer 35. I don't know. What do you guys think?
I would talk him down some more. If he won't come down, search dealerships online for a better price. Some on here have flown or driven quite a distance for a good deal. Good luck! The Ranger is a great truck. :like:

winmag4582001

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
I dont have a ranger.... yet.... ill eventually get one but am in no rush. Was looking at this post for awhile and i tried going into a few dealerships to try my luck in the PNW since they had 2019 0% apr deals.

but oh well I’ll probably wait until next year and try to purchase a pre-owned. Hope this helps ppl get insight into current market/offers etc.

Check different dealers.
I went to a dealer north of my house and they would NOT combine rebates with the 0%. Went to the dealership south of my place and they did roughly $4k in rebates and 0%.
I think it boils down to the sales manager and how he/she is trying to make profits.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Check different dealers.
I went to a dealer north of my house and they would NOT combine rebates with the 0%. Went to the dealership south of my place and they did roughly $4k in rebates and 0%.
I think it boils down to the sales manager and how he/she is trying to make profits.
i might try next time and wait for another 0% interest deal. I only had one day to try since the deal ended today. If i had a few days id have driven up to 80miles in any direction for it. For now i guess ill see how this covid19 impacts everything.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I just purchased my 2020 Ranger XLT 4WD FX4 for a little over 32k. Thats not counting taxes, down payment, etc. Was formally the showroom vehicle and had been driven around a bit so it had 700 miles on it. But it came with a sprayed in bed as well.
So by that you mean people are lying about how good a deal they got? With the exception of Mr. > 30% off MSRP (11.5k off), who else would be lying?

The way I see it, either you're right, people are saying they got better deals than they did, or they are right and maybe you and others are suckers who simply overpaid because you bought into some salesman's bs about how their inventory problems mean you should get gouged (or whatever).

Being in the market currently, it would be great to know which is true. Or perhaps, like many things in life, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Maybe that one guy lied or got some unicorn deal, but most people are getting around 20% off MSRP which is the "good deal" territory, and then some people are paying basically invoice pricing which is the "not so good deal" territory.

Life is full of mysteries...
Ive been reading these forumns now for the last couple weeks, since im in the market for a ranger in the PNW area.

im a bit skeptical as well on how people got 10k off msrp. Maybe i was just shopping in the worst week possible, end of sept just this week..... but no dealer was willing to negotiate what so ever. It was a bit frustrating, to say the least.

but i mean if they did get that price i congratulate them because thats an amazing deal, i wish i had their negotiating skills.

Last edited:

snorlax

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Parts Advisor
Ive been reading these forumns now for the last couple weeks, since im in the market for a ranger in the PNW area.

im a bit skeptical as well on how people got 10k off msrp. Maybe i was just shopping in the worst week possible, end of sept just this week..... but no dealer was willing to negotiate what so ever. It was a bit frustrating, to say the least.

but i mean if they did get that price i congratulate them because thats an amazing deal, i wish i had their negotiating skills.
With the deals currently going on your gonna average around 5k (the longer it sits the bigger incentive ford gives them) or so. Either negotiate at the end of the month with dealers (some may be trying to hit numbers and will do deals to make it happen) or end of the year where they want old inventory out.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
You have to take the "I got it for XXXXX dollars" with a grain of salt. Some folks don't factor in trade-in, down payment, dont take into account dealer fees and taxes or they are just flat out lying. Not saying they are all lying or didnt get a screamin deal BTW. Just pointing out that its easy to leave out important numbers.

For example, I could say:
My 2019 xlt msrp was $37,800
And I got my ranger for $27,950 72mo@0%.

But in reality they only took off $1000. I had $7500 trade in + $500 hold + I didn't include the tax.
Bottom line: I got it for $36,800 and financed $29,500 72mo@0%.

leadtheway

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No

Yeah I talked to a dealer and he said "the best I can do is 37.5" and I said "yeah that sounds kinda high" and he just said "alright have a nice day" and that was it. There was no counter, no sales pitch, nothing. I couldn't even get out "How about 35?" before he was gone. I'm not sure there are any negotiating skills that would have done any better there, since he clearly wasn't willing to haggle or waste any of his precious time. Granted not all sales guys are like that, sure, but still. And that was on a 2019 about a week ago, too. The 2021's should be announced right about now. If he's not even pressed to get rid of a "new" 2019 when two year newer 2021's will be on the lot.... I don't know man. Sure doesn't seem like any "I got 11 grand off" stories could be true.

Another thing is when someone says "I got a 2020 Lariat 4x4 for 32k", maybe they got a super cab and NOT a super CREW. That's 4 grand right there.... So yeah maybe some details are missing.

Funny thing is, this is the truck (see attached image). MSRP is 42,645. Big sticker in the window says "7500 OFF". Now, I'm not a mathematician but *I think* 42,645 minus 7,500 is 35,145. So his "math" is off by $2,355. That's off by a lot. If he was off by that much the other way, the truck would only be 32.7. Now I know, what about tax and fees. Sure, tax is "only" $500 here. So what's the extra $1,855? Doc fee? LoL. Saying it's 7500 off and then making up fees to raise the price means it's not 7500 off... They play all these games and then act like you're wasting THEIR time. I agree with that other guy when he said the car buying process is extremely distasteful.

IMG_8509.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The 2021's should be announced right about now.
FYI, the 2021's won't even start being built until December - they extended the build dates (I think) due to the COVID shutdown. So the 2021's won't be in dealers until January at the earliest.

Bummer about your experience. I really don't get the inability to haggle on a 2 year old vehicle - even though it is "new". I guess the supply issues have really messed things up. Those "$7500 off" stickers are typically with every single rebate available - and almost no one can qualify for all of them - it is really kind of stupid.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
FYI, the 2021's won't even start being built until December - they extended the build dates (I think) due to the COVID shutdown. So the 2021's won't be in dealers until January at the earliest.

Bummer about your experience. I really don't get the inability to haggle on a 2 year old vehicle - even though it is "new". I guess the supply issues have really messed things up. Those "$7500 off" stickers are typically with every single rebate available - and almost no one can qualify for all of them - it is really kind of stupid.
ya thats what im thinking just gonna try and wait until the 2021’s come out or rather production starts to pickup.

but i will be trying to make offers at the end of the months still for a target range of 33k listing at end of the upcoming months. For a xlt crew cab, only things i need are fx4, tow pkg, and min 301a, prefer 302 tho.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
If they aren't negotiating much -- or at least saying "let's see what we can get to", and that would be consistent with situation up here -- then I think it's a pretty good sign that they are legitimately supply constrained. So either try to find a dealer that has trucks to move or wait until they have plenty of supply but then you're into the new year and it will take a long time for them to be making deals on those. You could try casting your net wider, particularly if you live in a bigger city look at small town dealerships, esp. where people are more likely to want F-150s. Not like thewre is a shortage of Ford dealers, lol. Tell them you are planning to drive in if the deal is right and make them a firm offer, i.e. I will drive out there and buy it if you can give it to me for .. and just state exactly what you will pay, don't lowball. Negotiation doesn't require any kind of amazing verbal skills, it's just about being clear, not getting boxed in and most of all being willing to walk away.

The Ford inventory tool works quite well and seems to be most up to date.

BTW, yeah I think those 10k stories are posing. Either that or at beginning of pandemic when everyone was panicked and just wanted to dump inventory as fast as they could. Short of massive manufacturer incentives, dealers just don't have anywhere near the kind of margins to do deals like that.
Sponsored

Last edited: