Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
True North took some time out from relaxing at the cottage to deliver us safely to the local hockey rink so my wife could receive her second Pfizer vaccine this morning (got my second shot a while back).

It took seven minutes to enter the lot, make our way to the drive-thru area and get the shot. So quick and effortless - thanks to all the folks from the local health unit, as well as the fantastic citizen and military volunteers.

FBA47DD7-B300-4DC4-9BE7-097659DAC38B.jpeg

Another great reason to celebrate during this Canada Day weekend. I hope everyone can take a few minutes and get fully vaccinated soon. I might even throw in a free t-shirt.

B98EC7F2-F388-421D-9638-95A8FAF7B408.jpeg

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
5200 miles in 8 days with a maxed out uhaul and two German shepherds in the back seat ranger did great even through British Columbia mountains in the record. Breaking triple digit heat. 14 mpg is acceptable the gas tank size really was noticeable only doing 250 miles tank was rough but time to let dogs out. The bug graveyard on the front too ...

20210703_223921.jpg

Screenshot_20210703-151140_Maps.jpg

20210630_175007.jpg

20210630_160822.jpg

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Okay...back story on bird strikes..... We were on the handling track testing the SCCA test mule for the forever quest for more speed for the racetrucks. I came flying around the final turn at over 115 mph when this dove flew into the radiator...Bird beak, feathers etc. I backed out of the throttle and the truck started to overheat. So pulled into the staging area...Livernoise mechanics saw what happened. I remained belted in the driver's seat....I heard the Oh YUK! Test session...way too much bird guts packed into the radiator... We just replaced the radiator and grill the following day... YUK!
So kind of a sidebar regarding bird strikes one day I was having to respond code to a location and my little old Dodge charger was probably in the range of 90 mph when a bird decided it wanted to fight my driver's side mirror.

People think the side mirrors fold back for parking in space but I figured out the secret. The bird smashed into the mirror nothing more than a quick white blur out the corner of my eye and my mirror instantly folded.

So I did what anybody would naturally do I casually rolled my window down stuck my hand out the window push the mirror back and rolled my window back up.

Rest in peace little dude at least I know it was instant lights out.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
So kind of a sidebar regarding bird strikes one day I was having to respond code to a location and my little old Dodge charger was probably in the range of 90 mph when a bird decided it wanted to fight my driver's side mirror.
Had as similiar experience. When living up north I was driving to work at around 4AM over a 2-3 mile long totally empty reserve landing strip. My Jeep was going at.. let's say "within the legal limits" :rolleyes: when a grey owl* swooped in, hit the top front of the hood and bounced to A-pilar & windshield.

That 2lbs projectile going at great speeds actually dented the hood and cracked the top corner of the windshield. Luckily it didn't hit middle of the windshield which most likely would have meant remains inside the car.

* = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_grey_owl

Sieppaa.JPG

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Had as similiar experience. When living up north I was driving to work at around 4AM over a 2-3 mile long totally empty reserve landing strip. My Jeep was going at.. let's say "within the legal limits" :rolleyes: when a grey owl* swooped in, hit the top front of the hood and bounced to A-pilar & windshield.

That 2lbs projectile going at great speeds actually dented the hood and cracked the top corner of the windshield. Luckily it didn't hit middle of the windshield which most likely would have meant remains inside the car.

* = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_grey_owl

Sieppaa.JPG
That looks way too familiar. In northern British Columbia, on the highway to Hyder, Alaska, there is a long stretch of highway just like this with a sign that reads: “Warning, highway may be used as an aircraft landing strip”. Strangely, I was also driving a Jeep when I came across it. Hmmmm. ?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
That looks way too familiar. In northern British Columbia, on the highway to Hyder, Alaska, there is a long stretch of highway just like this with a sign that reads: “Warning, highway may be used as an aircraft landing strip”. Strangely, I was also driving a Jeep when I came across it. Hmmmm. ?
Those are built for these :)

There are multitude of these kind of strips around Finland with access road & plane maintenance area. You can drive a tanker and repair/reload wagon there, land & reload F/A-18 Hornet and have it back up in 30 mins.

I think some of your pilots been practicing also on these on joint trainings... although your KC-135s keep dropping the refueling lines to our forests on every single exercise.. :)

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Those are built for these :)

There are multitude of these kind of strips around Finland with access road & plane maintenance area. You can drive a tanker and repair/reload wagon there, land & reload F/A-18 Hornet and have it back up in 30 mins.

I think some of your pilots been practicing also on these on joint trainings... although your KC-135s keep dropping the refueling lines to our forests on every single exercise.. :)
Likely not “our” pilots. The Royal Canadian Air Force only has a couple of old Stearman bi-planes and one or two Wright Flyers.

8B71B476-F3C3-4719-BD40-8B70A631D436.jpeg

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I used it as a ground tamper.

That and I wanted to finally start getting a rough idea what the floor space on the new garage is going to look like. I've still got a small section up front to level in before I bring in the crusher run. I also need to finish off the retaining wall.

I ended up revising my order at the last minute and added an 8' tall x 10' wide framed out garage door (I still plan to do barn style doors though). I also updated my color selection to be a dark gray and light gray combination as it was no extra charge and helped make it look a lot less plain IMO.

As planned I still have 2 feet of usable space (storage shelving in this case) with all doors open and a ton of back space to work (benches, bench tooling, etc etc) with even when the truck is in the garage.

8' foot clearance gives plenty of room up top and the overall ceiling is around 11' at its peak.

Pardon the mess, a second side project is my backyard is going through a bunch of maintenance and make-overs this summer.

IMG_20210705_204236 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20210705_204326.jpg

IMG_20210705_204512.jpg

house3.jpg

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Likely not “our” pilots. The Royal Canadian Air Force only has a couple of old Stearman bi-planes and one or two Wright Flyers.
Nice try.

Your bi-plane force has 351 aerial vehicles, 12500 personnel of which 2500 are pilots. And you do participate to yearly arctic challenge events and usually operate from our Rovaniemi civilian/military airport in varying configurations.

To my understanding your main force is flying with somewhat old & outdated CF-18 Hornet bi-planes but are in process of moving towards more modern aircrafts. Main issue seems to be lack of pilots for them.

I believe that Finnish Defence Force has been training your Snowbirds in some form until 2014.

So yeah, I'd expect that some your pilots have been "there"..
Sponsored