What’s your truck inhaling? Best air filter shootout!

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I am also running the Ford Performance Tune with K&N filter. So far, really, only a couple of weeks, I am loving the truck's enhanced performance but remain concerned about reports of particles entering via the K&N that might not get through other filters. Although I would be hesitant to rely on the results of any single video, several members have expressed K&N concerns based on personal experience, and it does make sense, as you say, that "more air = more dirt." Since, as Phil says, the stock Motorcraft filter gives good protection, and the actual enhancement to performance to the K&N is probably minimal at best, I am starting to think that the safest thing to do over the long run of ownership of the vehicle would be to replace the K&N with a new Motorcraft the next time I get the truck serviced at my local Ford dealer. (I always run my vehicles beyond five years and 100,000 miles before trading them in, by which time there should be a next-generation Ranger or even Ranger Raptor waiting for me....) What do you guys think, about moving back to Motorcraft, I mean? Any problems with running the tune on OEM filters?
I am running the FPP with the Motorcraft original filter. No K&N for me. I’ve seen first hand in Florida how much sand and grit makes it past a K&N. No thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
So... no Motorcraft filter was tested?

Anybody know who makes Motorcraft air filters and oil filters? Are they made by another company and re-branded or are they actually made by Motorcraft?

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
The FPP was designed to extract the most HP within their parameters...IMO if you drive in an area where it’s arid and dusty you may encounter longevity issues. I reside in FL, currently air quality is good here so I’ve little concern. I do plan on keeping my truck for the long haul and believe the video carries scientific weight. The K&N works and took 2nd for large particle filtration, as mentioned I’ll be switching to WIX when time permits.
I am also running the Ford Performance Tune with K&N filter. So far, really, only a couple of weeks, I am loving the truck's enhanced performance but remain concerned about reports of particles entering via the K&N that might not get through other filters. Although I would be hesitant to rely on the results of any single video, several members have expressed K&N concerns based on personal experience, and it does make sense, as you say, that "more air = more dirt." Since, as Phil says, the stock Motorcraft filter gives good protection, and the actual enhancement to performance to the K&N is probably minimal at best, I am starting to think that the safest thing to do over the long run of ownership of the vehicle would be to replace the K&N with a new Motorcraft the next time I get the truck serviced at my local Ford dealer. (I always run my vehicles beyond five years and 100,000 miles before trading them in, by which time there should be a next-generation Ranger or even Ranger Raptor waiting for me....) What do you guys think, about moving back to Motorcraft, I mean? Any problems with running the tune on OEM filters?
Good points all. I may move back at the next scheduled cleaning/change. I've not installed the tune, yet (working through a small fuel-in-oil conundrum that's forestalled upgrades; I'm working with the dealership to trouble shoot and don't want to introduce another variable. That, and I'm averaging only 18mph of slow moving drives per trip right now with home-to-work all-city driving).

I bought the '19 Ranger with 4,000 miles on it and replaced filters/oil out of the gate to ensure I knew what was on it and when. In MI (and next VA) it's less about dust, perhaps, than for our friends in the gorgeous southwest.

I think what we're all saying here is - trust in @P. A. Schilke:bow:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Good points all. I may move back at the next scheduled cleaning/change. I've not installed the tune, yet (working through a small fuel-in-oil conundrum that's forestalled upgrades; I'm working with the dealership to trouble shoot and don't want to introduce another variable. That, and I'm averaging only 18mph of slow moving drives per trip right now with home-to-work all-city driving).

I bought the '19 Ranger with 4,000 miles on it and replaced filters/oil out of the gate to ensure I knew what was on it and when. In MI (and next VA) it's less about dust, perhaps, than for our friends in the gorgeous southwest.

If those MPG numbers are all city then you are doing pretty well. Usually city MPG can get way lower especially in stop and go.

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
If those MPG numbers are all city then you are doing pretty well. Usually city MPG can get way lower especially in stop and go.
Oh no my friend - Miles Per Hour. Slow, light to light is my only fun, Detroit MPH. MPG is hovering around 17 with city-only miles and ECU reset in the last month.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So... no Motorcraft filter was tested?

Anybody know who makes Motorcraft air filters and oil filters? Are they made by another company and re-branded or are they actually made by Motorcraft?
IIRC Wix makes or was making the Motorcraft filters a few years back. I remember when I had my F 150 and both filters were identical. That was about 8 years ago so not sure if they still do.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Oh no my friend - Miles Per Hour. Slow, light to light is my only fun, Detroit MPH. MPG is hovering around 17 with city-only miles and ECU reset in the last month.
Ahh I see, I dont know how i miss read that. Still the MPG you are getting for city only isnt bad if you ask me. When I had my 2016 Frontier I got down to 13 in stop and go city. When I was on the Hwy I could sometimes be lucky to see 22-23. The ranger I haven't done enough city driving to really say but Hwy has been nice.

With that being said I don't believe the fuel in oil is causing any major problems but then again I'm not looking at the truck either so who knows what could be causing the issue.

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh I see, I dont know how i miss read that. Still the MPG you are getting for city only isnt bad if you ask me. When I had my 2016 Frontier I got down to 13 in stop and go city. When I was on the Hwy I could sometimes be lucky to see 22-23. The ranger I haven't done enough city driving to really say but Hwy has been nice.

With that being said I don't believe the fuel in oil is causing any major problems but then again I'm not looking at the truck either so who knows what could be causing the issue.
Much appreciated. That is helpful insight here, and particularly with your background in the field. Thank you.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
IIRC Wix makes or was making the Motorcraft filters a few years back. I remember when I had my F 150 and both filters were identical. That was about 8 years ago so not sure if they still do.
Hi Dave,

Very common for a manufacturer to make parts for Ford and also for the aftermarket. The parts may look identical, but may not be identical. Usually Ford will issue specifications that the manufacturer must meet and validate that they can meet the specifications and also have process capability. So the parts might look the same but have entirely different specs and performance. Make sense?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Automotive Interior Repair
Roush CAI > KNN drop in

ROOK

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2017 BMW 230 I convertible
Occupation
Retired
Hi everyone, I am mostly a “ lurker” , sorry just being honest, and kinda new here. I certainly am enjoying this discussion on the air filters. So many different options from just changing the filter, to the entire box like the new Mishimoto air box and the AFE scoop , KN ect. Never heard of Wix Filters till just now. I would like to gain several HP, and cant get the easy answer I guess I am searching for. Thanks again for this discussion and do find it very helpful and informative.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Hi everyone, I am mostly a “ lurker” , sorry just being honest, and kinda new here. I certainly am enjoying this discussion on the air filters. So many different options from just changing the filter, to the entire box like the new Mishimoto air box and the AFE scoop , KN ect. Never heard of Wix Filters till just now. I would like to gain several HP, and cant get the easy answer I guess I am searching for. Thanks again for this discussion and do find it very helpful and informative.
Save your money and buy a tune.

OP
OP

Buffy Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Supercab

Just completed my first oil change at 2800 miles, what came out was unpleasant but I’ve no way to test it to see if there’s dilution. Switched to Castrol Edge because it ranks high in detergents and at the price point I can change frequently if needed. This engine is finicky, bad tank of gas and she’ll let me know...occasional heat soak and sputters...she’s not consistent so to speak but exciting none the less. I average 16.5 mpg, all city and spirited driving. Agreed with your comment of Mr Schilke...
Is your truck even running?!

OP
OP

Buffy Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Supercab
This might be your issue with dilution...take that thing out on the Highway and spank her like she wants you to.
Best regards

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed with your comment of Mr Schilke...
Is your truck even running?!
Ha. It keeps on truck’n. Runs well really.

I hadn’t thought of the K&N as cause for dilution. Interesting.

In the more than you likely care to know category- It was down for two weeks when the ECU reset due to a software update error induced at the dealership when upgrading tire size settings (issue was with Ford’s update; installed Fox, wheels, tires).

The Fuel in Oil issue is tbd and possibly related. I’m at 400mi of a 500Mi test run after dealership oil change. All agreed it smelled strongly of fuel. Just not sure if it’s an issue or the result of the repeated keying on/off to get the ECU fixed.

Still smells a bit, and is at the top dot (hash to dot depends a bit on the wonky driveway angles we have). I check it every other day. We’ll test it at the next service and I’m going to move to synthetic. For now I’m adhering to the tech’s guidance so he can troubleshoot.

Whether or not it’s an issue like a small few have had is yet to be seen.

(Separate thread; and come to think of it, believe it was @P. A. Schilke who sparked my self inquiry into oil smell and Month/location of motor production. We may have a Phil conspiracy on our hands! ?)

but back to our regularly scheduled air filter dialogue...
Sponsored