Compelling argument for OEM Air Filter

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
This guy has a lot of interesting and entertaining vids. This one about OEM vs aftermarket or K&N is very interesting. Full disclosure, I run a K&N which is currently on the wood clothes rack drying.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Scotty's a little tough to take at times but he does have some pretty good videos. I always run the stock filter when they're available and Wix when I can't find the stock ones.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
A decade or two of seeing wasted turbos come in for repair has me a little biased against the K & N filters. In a perfect world and following instructions to the tee along with monitoring your intake restriction the K & N will perform as advertised. Any deviation from that results in reduced turbo life. Plugged to soon = thrust bearing failures. Too much oil results in crud build up on compressor wheel, intercooler and throttle body and so forth. As a protocol we always asked what type of air filter the customer was using when a failed turbo came in. Also got to see the filters on the vehicles in our own shop. Again if you are meticulous with how your using the K & N filters you should be fine. Our shop quit putting them on and recommend dry filters. If the customer insisted then there was a waiver comment on the repair order. Just speaking from experience

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Scotty's a little tough to take at times but he does have some pretty good videos.
Agreed, I was ready to dismiss him after I watched one, but some things he says actually makes sense. The one where he blamed over-oiling of a K&N and it's consequences gained him some cred.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
A decade or two of seeing wasted turbos come in for repair has me a little biased against the K & N filters. In a perfect world and following instructions to the tee along with monitoring your intake restriction the K & N will perform as advertised. Any deviation from that results in reduced turbo life. Plugged to soon = thrust bearing failures. Too much oil results in crud build up on compressor wheel, intercooler and throttle body and so forth. As a protocol we always asked what type of air filter the customer was using when a failed turbo came in. Also got to see the filters on the vehicles in our own shop. Again if you are meticulous with how your using the K & N filters you should be fine. Our shop quit putting them on and recommend dry filters. If the customer insisted then there was a waiver comment on the repair order. Just speaking from experience
Good stuff, which makes me wonder 1. why does the Ford Performance tune include the K&N and 2. are they meticulously maintained by the dealership as required to avoid said issues?

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Agreed, I was ready to dismiss him after I watched one, but some things he says actually makes sense. The one where he blamed over-oiling of a K&N and it's consequences gained him some cred.
Tbh, any mechanic will say the same thing though.

High performance filters will always be harmful for an engine in the long one. Don't need a guy with a horsed voice shouting that.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yeah some of his videos are almost unwatchable because of the way he goes off on things. But I do think he's got better over that past couple years because now his videos seem shorter and more to the point without all the drama. He does have over 5.5 million subscribers so he must be doing something right. lol

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Amazingly our local Ford dealer will, if you ask nicely, put together a "service kit" for you which has a Motorcraft air filter, oil filter, and diesel fuel filter, for actually slightly less than a similar kit from one of our leading aftermarket suppliers - which to be fair is probably of comparable quality.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport

High performance filters will always be harmful for an engine in the long one. Don't need a guy with a horsed voice shouting that.
Not just any mechanic will make a vid to drill it in.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX

Well the laws of physics can't be ignored, to let in more air, you either have to have a bigger filter with the same size holes, or, if the same size, bigger holes!

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Good stuff, which makes me wonder 1. why does the Ford Performance tune include the K&N and 2. are they meticulously maintained by the dealership as required to avoid said issues?
I would bet that the dealer would just put a new K & N in rather than spend the time cleaning it especially at shop rate. Then they would also be covering their backside by doing it. I believe Ford Performance uses the K & N to meet the required air flow for their tune. They could care less about how you maintain it. Not their problem.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Some people don’t like this guy either, but the particle test beginning at 9:15 is interesting. The K&N didnt stop much of anything.
Maybe it's because they installed the K&N backwards for the particle test, eh?
Sponsored