What’s your truck inhaling? Best air filter shootout!

OP
OP

Buffy Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Supercab
Ha. It keeps on truck’n. Runs well really.

I hadn’t thought of the K&N as cause for dilution. Interesting.

In the more than you likely care to know category- It was down for two weeks when the ECU reset due to a software update error induced at the dealership when upgrading tire size settings (issue was with Ford’s update; installed Fox, wheels, tires).

The Fuel in Oil issue is tbd and possibly related. I’m at 400mi of a 500Mi test run after dealership oil change. All agreed it smelled strongly of fuel. Just not sure if it’s an issue or the result of the repeated keying on/off to get the ECU fixed.

Still smells a bit, and is at the top dot (hash to dot depends a bit on the wonky driveway angles we have). I check it every other day. We’ll test it at the next service and I’m going to move to synthetic. For now I’m adhering to the tech’s guidance so he can troubleshoot.

Whether or not it’s an issue like a small few have had is yet to be seen.

(Separate thread; and come to think of it, believe it was @P. A. Schilke who sparked my self inquiry into oil smell and Month/location of motor production. We may have a Phil conspiracy on our hands! ?)

but back to our regularly scheduled air filter dialogue...
You went there and now I’ll digress...
Sponsored

asimpson997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I tried to buy a WIX filter tody but there isn't one available at any stores near me. What is part number and is it same as Mustang 2.3L?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I tried to buy a WIX filter tody but there isn't one available at any stores near me. What is part number and is it same as Mustang 2.3L?
No idea what the part number is but a Ford Motocraft filter os roughly $25 if i remember correctly. Not a bad price for the OEM part if you ask me. If you are not worried about going to a K&N then that is what i would recommend to you.

asimpson997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Would prefer regular filter, Motocraft is same as Non-OEM versions a lot of the time. Worked at a fuel pump factory and the only change from OE to Autozone to NAPA was the box, no bullsh**.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
So... no Motorcraft filter was tested?

Anybody know who makes Motorcraft air filters and oil filters? Are they made by another company and re-branded or are they actually made by Motorcraft?
Purolator makes/made the Motorcraft oil filters. A few years back Purolator was having issues with tearing filter media in their oil filters and it was a big topic on BITOG. That carried over to a few of the Motorcraft filters, most notably the FL-820s.

I don't know who makes the Motorcraft air filters.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Purolator makes/made the Motorcraft oil filters. A few years back Purolator was having issues with tearing filter media in their oil filters and it was a big topic on BITOG. That carried over to a few of the Motorcraft filters, most notably the FL-820s.

I don't know who makes the Motorcraft air filters.
Regardless who makes them there is still a difference on certain parts like the filters. Hard parts may be slightly different. But always remember that the OEM parts will be held to.a higher standard. Might be hard to believe for some but it is the truth.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Regardless who makes them there is still a difference on certain parts like the filters. Hard parts may be slightly different. But always remember that the OEM parts will be held to.a higher standard. Might be hard to believe for some but it is the truth.
I always use OEM filters until the vehicle is out of warranty. I am unsure what good the OP's video is if it doesn't also include OEM filters.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I always use OEM filters until the vehicle is out of warranty. I am unsure what good the OP's video is if it doesn't also include OEM filters.
It did include a AC Delco which is probably about the same as a Motorcraft

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I will agree with you since the video does not include the OEM Filter.

As for waiting until after warranty? In my Frontier I still used the OEM Filters. I really liked the fact that Nissan Air Filter had an oil film to help trap more dirt and debris compared to the aftermarket replacement(Wix, Fram, Purolator). Nothing wrong with keeping the OEM Filters after warranty if you are going that far.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air filter? Maybe. Oil Filter? No where near the same quality unless you are comparing an AC Delco Gold. Learned that one a long time ago.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I will agree with you since the video does not include the OEM Filter.

As for waiting until after warranty? In my Frontier I still used the OEM Filters. I really liked the fact that Nissan Air Filter had an oil film to help trap more dirt and debris compared to the aftermarket replacement (Wix, Fram, Purolator). Nothing wrong with keeping the OEM Filters after warranty if you are going that far.
Agreed. On our '02 Tacoma we always used Toyota oil Filters. I like that they have a plastic seal on them. That makes all the sense in the world.

But for air filters, we saved money using NAPA Gold filters. Got them on sale.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Based on what?

I've got a '69 Camaro and a Model A Ford that has a '72 350 small block Chevy. The AC Delco filters that are sold at Walmart are Chinese knock off pieces of shit.... just saying.

0941998.jpg

005 Torque Thrust Wheels and BFG Rubber and New Front Spoiler.jpg

OP
OP

Buffy Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Supercab
I shared the YouTube video because this thread pertains to 2.3 liter tunes and bolt ons...as many now have the FPP it describes the particulates being inhaled by the K&N...this am the city was trimming trees in my neighborhood and wood dust and chips left my car covered...anyways I changed my air filter back to OEM and to my surprise regained low end torque. Currently at 3k miles and did tune at 1800...guess I got accustomed to the K&N drop in filter and had no idea that I’d regain the low end grunt. Like the video mentioned, if you’re taking the truck to a strip I’d quickly change it out for (better breathing and bump in high end performance) but as I drive mostly street I’ll leave her as is (better filtration)
Best regards
Sponsored