What’s your truck inhaling? Best air filter shootout!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If you want to get down to it it's pretty simple. I'm not even going to watch the video because I know better LOL. For longevity reasons the factory air filters technically the best you're going to get. It's going to help keep all the crap out of your engine that you don't want in there even though it won't exactly provide you the best performance because it doesn't flow near as much compared to a K&N and other brands. I myself still use the factory filter but have considered the idea I've running the Roush cold air intake. The only reason I have considered that is because I still keep the lower half of the airbox so I can still run a snorkel. Whether that will happen or not is another story but that's not my have an idea for.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I will also add that most Factory air filters by Ford and other manufacturers will have a little bit of a light oil film on the air filter. This helps trap a lot more dirt and debris and keeps it from getting past the air filter. Unfortunately the factory air filter for the ranger doesn't seem to have that but I would still trust the factory Ford Motorcraft air filter over the aftermarket Replacements like Fram and other brands.

OP
OP

Buffy Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Supercab
I will also add that most Factory air filters by Ford and other manufacturers will have a little bit of a light oil film on the air filter. This helps trap a lot more dirt and debris and keeps it from getting past the air filter. Unfortunately the factory air filter for the ranger doesn't seem to have that but I would still trust the factory Ford Motorcraft air filter over the aftermarket Replacements like Fram and other brands.

Well said...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Chris,

I agree...hard to beat the OEM filter for air cleaning. The Ford filters hold a lot of grams of dirt and still perform. Being inside Ford for 30 years, I learned a thing or two about air filters. I think you will find that most Motorcraft filters do not have an oily substance from the contamination of the hot wire direct air mass measurement days. I always install Motorcraft filters..both air and oil...

Well said!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Chris,

I agree...hard to beat the OEM filter for air cleaning. The Ford filters hold a lot of grams of dirt and still perform. Being inside Ford for 30 years, I learned a thing or two about air filters. I think you will find that most Motorcraft filters do not have an oily substance from the contamination of the hot wire direct air mass measurement days. I always install Motorcraft filters..both air and oil...

Well said!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Surprisingly enough I still see some injen air filters from Ford for the F-150 and a few other models but have the light oil film on the air filter. With that being said I'm not against having it just for the fact that it does help trap more dirt and debris and not let it go into the engine.

Now I am curious on your thoughts for the Roush cold air intake. The only reason I have considered it is the fact that it still keeps the factory lower portion of the airbox and therefore will allow me to run the Safari snorkel on my truck. And yes I do understand that the cold air intake is not a requirement and would probably still be best to keep the factory filter from Motorcraft.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Surprisingly enough I still see some injen air filters from Ford for the F-150 and a few other models but have the light oil film on the air filter. With that being said I'm not against having it just for the fact that it does help trap more dirt and debris and not let it go into the engine.

Now I am curious on your thoughts for the Roush cold air intake. The only reason I have considered it is the fact that it still keeps the factory lower portion of the airbox and therefore will allow me to run the Safari snorkel on my truck. And yes I do understand that the cold air intake is not a requirement and would probably still be best to keep the factory filter from Motorcraft.
Hi Chris,

I have not seen any data on the Roush system. I think the flow numbers exist but I am not interested so may have missed them. I will say that keeping the lower OEM air box is a good idea as the OEM filter fits. I recall most folks indicate they did not feel much if any improvement with the Roush system, but I may be mistaken....again...revised air intake not on my radar screen. I marvel at the snorkel installs....got to have some guts to cut a hole in the fender.... Not for the faint of heart! Best of luck with the snorkel install!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Notice that the filters tested were all flat.
Just from experience, I would prefer a filter which is flat and draws air through from below the filter.
All else being equal, this design will deliver more actual effective area and draw fewer contaminants into the engine.
I don't like the Cone shaped filters which seem to dirty only about a third of the element surface in most applications and often are more difficult to seal when installing them.
Bottom line. I will continue to use MotorCraft first and Wix as a fallback in a stock airbox whatever the shape.

OP
OP

Buffy Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Notice that the filters tested were all flat.
Just from experience, I would prefer a filter which is flat and draws air through from below the filter.
All else being equal, this design will deliver more actual effective area and draw fewer contaminants into the engine.
I don't like the Cone shaped filters which seem to dirty only about a third of the element surface in most applications and often are more difficult to seal when installing them.
Bottom line. I will continue to use MotorCraft first and Wix as a fallback in a stock airbox whatever the shape.
I was impressed with the win from WIX also impressed with K&N getting 2nd for filtering larger particles...I reside in Central FL and its far from a dusty environment but when time permits I’ll buy the WIX. BTW the guys YouTube channel rocks! His scientific approach is no nonsense and is the main reason I wanted to share.

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
I’m running the K&N performance filter. Too early to tell if it’s of benefit, but likely limited Impact.

I’ve run them in previous vehicles with success, but have read of their mixed reputation (more air = more dirt). I noted that the FP tune comes with a K&N and thought I’d give it a try again.

Above insight on the OEM filters is heartening and informative. It’s nice to have thoughts direct from the people who built and engineered the Ranger.

OP
OP

Buffy Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m running the K&N performance filter. Too early to tell if it’s of benefit, but likely limited Impact.

I’ve run them in previous vehicles with success, but have read of their mixed reputation (more air = more dirt). I noted that the FP tune comes with a K&N and thought I’d give it a try again.

Above insight on the OEM filters is heartening and informative. It’s nice to have thoughts direct from the people who built and engineered the Ranger.
I chose the FPP tune with no regrets to date...I’m sure you’ll enjoy it but I’m buying that WIX...Huge difference in small intake particles and performance was negligible.

OP
OP

Buffy Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I chose the FPP tune with no regrets to date...I’m sure you’ll enjoy it but I’m buying that WIX...Huge difference in small intake particles and performance was negligible.
Also, agreed with your assessment of Mr Schilke. I joined in May but every statement he’s made that I’ve read carries weight. Best regards

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
So... for the video referenced, WIX or Purolator. Stock Ford isn't tested, I've used AC Delco a lot in the past a d figured they were fine, but it seems there are better. NAPA brands are usually premium manufacturers so seems pretty safe to drop coin on those.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

I am also running the Ford Performance Tune with K&N filter. So far, really, only a couple of weeks, I am loving the truck's enhanced performance but remain concerned about reports of particles entering via the K&N that might not get through other filters. Although I would be hesitant to rely on the results of any single video, several members have expressed K&N concerns based on personal experience, and it does make sense, as you say, that "more air = more dirt." Since, as Phil says, the stock Motorcraft filter gives good protection, and the actual enhancement to performance to the K&N is probably minimal at best, I am starting to think that the safest thing to do over the long run of ownership of the vehicle would be to replace the K&N with a new Motorcraft the next time I get the truck serviced at my local Ford dealer. (I always run my vehicles beyond five years and 100,000 miles before trading them in, by which time there should be a next-generation Ranger or even Ranger Raptor waiting for me....) What do you guys think, about moving back to Motorcraft, I mean? Any problems with running the tune on OEM filters?

OP
OP

Buffy Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am also running the Ford Performance Tune with K&N filter. So far, really, only a couple of weeks, I am loving the truck's enhanced performance but remain concerned about reports of particles entering via the K&N that might not get through other filters. Although I would be hesitant to rely on the results of any single video, several members have expressed K&N concerns based on personal experience, and it does make sense, as you say, that "more air = more dirt." Since, as Phil says, the stock Motorcraft filter gives good protection, and the actual enhancement to performance to the K&N is probably minimal at best, I am starting to think that the safest thing to do over the long run of ownership of the vehicle would be to replace the K&N with a new Motorcraft the next time I get the truck serviced at my local Ford dealer. (I always run my vehicles beyond five years and 100,000 miles before trading them in, by which time there should be a next-generation Ranger or even Ranger Raptor waiting for me....) What do you guys think, about moving back to Motorcraft, I mean? Any problems with running the tune on OEM filters?
The FPP was designed to extract the most HP within their parameters...IMO if you drive in an area where it’s arid and dusty you may encounter longevity issues. I reside in FL, currently air quality is good here so I’ve little concern. I do plan on keeping my truck for the long haul and believe the video carries scientific weight. The K&N works and took 2nd for large particle filtration, as mentioned I’ll be switching to WIX when time permits.
Sponsored