Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Tried my first new tune today, the 91 octane performance tune.

Broke the tires loose from a 15 mph roll and activated the traction control. That’s on dry blacktop with oversized (taller and wider) tires. Remarkable difference in acceleration from a dead-stop or from a roll. It completely opens up the mid-range power of the truck, it seems like a different engine. It feels as zippy as the 2.7L Ecoboost in our Edge Sport. Shift points are considerably more firm (probably a tad too firm for daily driving). I’m probably killing my mileage as I can see how quickly the boosts climbs now. Probably will go over to the daily driver/tow tune tomorrow after I fill-up my tank.
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired

Broke the tires loose from a 15 mph roll and activated the traction control. That’s on dry blacktop with oversized (taller and wider) tires. Remarkable difference in acceleration from a dead-stop or from a roll. It completely opens up the mid-range power of the truck, it seems like a different engine. It feels as zippy as the 2.7L Ecoboost in our Edge Sport. Shift points are considerably more firm (probably a tad too firm for daily driving). I’m probably killing my mileage as I can see how quickly the boosts climbs now. Probably will go over to the daily driver/tow tune tomorrow after I fill-up my tank.
Awesome!

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase

Keep us updated!

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you'll be going through gas and tires at the same rate with that tune :crackup: Perfect !!! :rockon:

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Machine & Tool Designer- Ford Motor Comapny
Vehicle Showcase
think it's worth it do do it on a lease (3 yr), then remove and set back to factory when turned in?
i don't think the stock engine is all that fast, but i am coming from driving my 2015 F150 3.5 EB that absolutely rips!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
think it's worth it do do it on a lease (3 yr), then remove and set back to factory when turned in?
i don't think the stock engine is all that fast, but i am coming from driving my 2015 F150 3.5 EB that absolutely rips!
I saw this yesterday - this is a screen capture from a TFLTruck video showing results of 0-60 drag races between a 2.7, 3.5 EB and a 5 liter V8, both before and after tuning. The results surprised me, but it shows how amazing these EcoBoost engines are:

TuningNumbers.png

OP
OP
Randy2400h

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update on the tunes.

I was having a pretty good time burning through gas around town, but I finally had to put the daily driver & tow map into the truck today. The shifting is noticeably not as firm as the performance map, but still more natural feeing to me than the way the truck shifted stock; a very excellent medium. It takes a little more throttle before it starts building +15psi boost numbers but it still gets there and still provides a dramatically better mid-range response over stock. I knew my oversized tires were negatively effecting my average MPG indicated by the truck due to the speedo error, but now the Ngauge has allowed me to correct the tire diameter to 32.09”. My highway mileage is now averaging 24.8 MPG. Which I think is impressive considering I took out front end rake with my 2” leveling kit and I’m running oversized tires (275/65-18).

LewisLegacy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, that's pretty solid. You've got me hovering over that shopping cart button...

Can someone give me a short version of why one would get the ngauge tuner over the SCT/BullyDog/5star tuner? From what I can see on 5-stars site and elsewhere the ngauge is more expensive, but can't discern what makes it worth more.

Last edited:

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
I ordered the BDX from 5Star over the weekend so I'm pumped (along with MBRP exhaust and a DV+). From what I have found, the nGauge it just a sleeker touch screen device. Otherwise, no major benefits over the BDX. I could be wrong though.

Fish

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD Ranger Lariat Hot Pepper Red, 1993 F-150 XLT
Occupation
HVACR
Vehicle Showcase
This tune sounds great! I'm interested in knowing how adding a tune changes things, shifting rpm and firmness etc. Also with a tune, how does it affect the difference between the shifter position "D" drive and "S" sport modes? Are these modes still functional and is there still a variation in shifting between "D" & "S"?
I have to remember that my wife has to drive my Ranger and I know she will not appreciate having her head bouncing off the head rest during shifts. Hahaha! Thanks.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
This tune sounds great! I'm interested in knowing how adding a tune changes things, shifting rpm and firmness etc. Also with a tune, how does it affect the difference between the shifter position "D" drive and "S" sport modes? Are these modes still functional and is there still a variation in shifting between "D" & "S"?
I have to remember that my wife has to drive my Ranger and I know she will not appreciate having her head bouncing off the head rest during shifts. Hahaha! Thanks.
I called and spoke to 5-star about this specifically. They said that there will still be a difference. Basically, Sport mode will still have improved throttle response over stock as they don't touch that area of mapping. With their tune, standard Drive mode will give you all their benefits of the tune, and S will give similar benefits as it does with a stock, untuned vehicle, except the improved throttle response will be on top of their tune.

OP
OP
Randy2400h

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I called and spoke to 5-star about this specifically. They said that there will still be a difference. Basically, Sport mode will still have improved throttle response over stock as they don't touch that area of mapping. With their tune, standard Drive mode will give you all their benefits of the tune, and S will give similar benefits as it does with a stock, untuned vehicle, except the improved throttle response will be on top of their tune.
This. In more simple terms, it keeps the transmission in a lower gear for any given speed (greater than zero ), thus keeping the rpms higher into the power band and making the throttle more responsive.

You’ve probably noticed this if you forgot to slide the shifter back into “D” as you drove down the highway, your rpms never drop down into a normal range for cruising speeds.

Reactions: Doc

Fish

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD Ranger Lariat Hot Pepper Red, 1993 F-150 XLT
Occupation
HVACR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Tyler for that update. And I am assuming that would be for using the BDX which u purchased, unless the NGauge that Randy used would b the same type programming. Thanks a lot.

OP
OP
Randy2400h

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, that's pretty solid. You've got me hovering over that shopping cart button...

Can someone give me a short version of why one would get the ngauge tuner over the SCT/BullyDog/5star tuner? From what I can see on 5-stars site and elsewhere the ngauge is more expensive, but can't discern what makes it worth more.
The Ngauge is a little fancier and supposedly is much faster for installing the tunes, so if you would be switching back/forth often it’s a convenience thing. It does provide as a handy extra gauge too.

The biggest reason I chose the Ngauge is that 5-star told me that between the two options (Ngauge or SCT/BDX) that the Ngauge would allow me to adjust for tire size so I could fix my speedo error. If you’re going with bigger tires, I’d suggest doing the same.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Randy2400h

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Tyler for that update. And I am assuming that would be for using the BDX which u purchased, unless the NGauge that Randy used would b the same type programming. Thanks a lot.
Should be nearly the same if not identical. 5-star can do some other stuff if you request it. I was talking with Andy on this forum. Apparently they can adjust the electronic clutch on the engine driven fan; he wanted for it to stay disengaged entirely until reaching a desired temp. Right now the clutch seem to engage the fan on every start-up, regardless of temp, then releases the clutch after X amount of minutes if the temp is below the desired operating temperature.

5-star will can also provide the ability to disable auto start-stop on specific maps. I want “ASS” on my daily driver maps because it saves me gas but it has no business being active on the performance maps.
Sponsored

Last edited: