Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hi
I just joined yesterday and this is my first post. Also, I am not sure if this is the right thread to place my question in...To the admin, please move this topic if necessary.

So I just bought a used 2020 XLT FX2 Ranger with 35500 miles for $32500 a week ago. This is my first truck, I have alwasy had sporty/muscle/import cars, such as GT350, Foucs ST, G37, 3000GT etc etc. You can say I am very wet behind the ears when it comes to trucks but I LOVE it so far.
I guess the previos owner modified a bunch of stuff on the truck and came with all the following:
AFE Power Exhaust
K&N not sure if it's CAI or just a sticker
AFE snorkel in the egine bay , not sure what this is for.
Ford Perf Calibration Tool
Tremor Grill
Tremor wheel lip kit molding
Step rails
Bed cover
Bed mat
Bed spray
Swing tool box
Tailgate dampner...seems like everyone makes fun of this, not sure why though
All the lights you can think of...fog, hood, raptor grill lights, back up, under glow and the module that controls all the lights
Just wanted to add the above items just in case the community asked

Now, the reason for this thread.
Since I have the Ford Perf Calibration Tool, should I assum that the truck is tuned? I called the FP tech team, gave them the VIN and they do not have the truck on file. I have attached pics of the engine and other stuff and maybe you all can tell, recommend or anything to see if it's tuned. Lastly, I did fill up with 87 octane once but maybe I should start using 91 since I am not sure of the tune.

Thanks everyone i advance

FP Colab Tool.jpg

WFE exhaust.jpg

KN.jpg

Eng1.jpg

Eng2.jpg

Eng3.jpg

Eng4.jpg
Wow, nice truck! Congratulations! It took some of us years (and multi-mega bucks) to get all those mods installed!
Sponsored

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Depends if you want the tune or not, and if you have a warranty.

The Ford tune will not 'void' any warranty, but the language is complicated. If something goes wrong while the tune is installed, Ford can claim that the tune caused the problem and not cover it under warranty. According to many other Ford forums, and @LevittownFordParts.com, Ford has never blamed their own tune for an issue, therefore the likelihood of getting a hypothetical problem fixed under warranty is very high.
If Ford wants to deny the warranty because of a self install, they probably can because that’s what the plain language of the tune warranty says. But, I agree that the only real risk of this tune is messing up the install, which is probably the only real reason they require a dealer install to maintain warranty. Once installed the power of the 2.3 is still below the specs used in other applications (Mustang), so an engine failure related to the tune is a low risk. I elected to install the tune myself because my local dealers didn’t even seem to know the tune existed and wouldn’t do it. But, buyer beware.

Dogdays

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Occupation
retired
Even a home install should still hit the servers... remember you need to connect the truck and load the VIN into the tuner before you can download the tune, so during the download request the VIN should be passed to FP. But, FP expects you to call or email that the tune was installed to activate the warranty, so if they go based on the later (manual contact) to add the VIN to a customer service searchable list it is possible it's tuned but not "registered". But, I'm 100% sure that somewhere in their database, even if they can't confirm it, they have a log of that VIN when the tuner downloaded the tune for it.
Only the dealer can activate the warranty on installation. Not installed by dealer. No warranty.

Dogdays

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Occupation
retired
If Ford wants to deny the warranty because of a self install, they probably can because that’s what the plain language of the tune warranty says. But, I agree that the only real risk of this tune is messing up the install, which is probably the only real reason they require a dealer install to maintain warranty. Once installed the power of the 2.3 is still below the specs used in other applications (Mustang), so an engine failure related to the tune is a low risk. I elected to install the tune myself because my local dealers didn’t even seem to know the tune existed and wouldn’t do it. But, buyer beware.
I asked my dealer. You are right. The language, legalese, is complicated. It has to be installed by a certified technician at the dealership for the warranty to be activated. No warranty otherwise. That's why it's so costly to install. Part of that cost covers the insurance, warranty, incase of future problems arising from the vehicle components performing in a manner other than designed, possibly.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Only the dealer can activate the warranty on installation. Not installed by dealer. No warranty.
I had to notify Ford Performance that it was installed by the dealer, I also sent a PDF of the receipt to them. Nothing about the direction from Ford Performance requires the installing dealer to activate the warranty.

fpp-warranty.pdf (ford.com) Right at the bottom of page 1.

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
If you have it installed by any ASE certified tech, you can register the warranty NO DEALER REQD! I know, I am a retired ase auto tech. I renewed 2 certifications just to get the warranty when I installed the kit on my mustang. Nothing has to go to the dealer. Was able to send copy of purchase and copy of certification (via email) Done. Email from Ford performance stating warranty activated!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
IIRC I’ve seen it said on here with a ASE certified install the engine warranty is 3 years or 36K. Even if you have extended warranties it still shortens the engine one to above.

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
IIRC I’ve seen it said on here with a ASE certified install the engine warranty is 3 years or 36K. Even if you have extended warranties it still shortens the engine one to above.
That's not correct! The engine warranty is 5 years or 60000 miles. If the tune doesnt cause the malfunction then is covered by factory warranty! Don't know why there are so many nay sayers. If you can read its all in black and white in the factory warranty papers and the Ford performance warranty papers. Please read before posting FALSE INFO!

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Extreme Mustangs, a FRPP Ford Speed Shop in Monroe, NC installed my tune. Price? $85 and Lunch. I'm covered under Ford's Warranty. Not anticipating any issues.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
That's not correct! The engine warranty is 5 years or 60000 miles. If the tune doesnt cause the malfunction then is covered by factory warranty! Don't know why there are so many nay sayers. If you can read its all in black and white in the factory warranty papers and the Ford performance warranty papers. Please read before posting FALSE INFO!
Ok this is off the .pdf lists above, and I quote:
This Performance Packs and Components Limited Warranty begins upon installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Performance and remains in effect for the balance of 36 months or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Installation of these select Ford Performance warranted performance packs and components by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Jeebuz….

Extra reverse lighting, Tremor nostrils, RockBlok mud guards, tailgate letters, front shackles, ditch lights, amber driving lamps, Tremor fender flares, and possibly some wheel spacers.

I think what surprised me most is that it’s 2WD!

Nice truck.
Yeah I was hype for this thing then I saw the fx2 sticker lol but all that aside she is still a beauty

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I was hype for this thing then I saw the fx2 sticker lol but all that aside she is still a beauty
OP will likely discover it has a locker and will be able to take it anywhere a Tremor can go.