First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
That's the $800 question. Maybe the previous owner thought it would be better for some reason? Or the Subaru dealer thought it might mess with a warranty? Like I said, everything points to a tune, but if Ford Performance has nothing with that VIN then that kind of trumps all theories at this point.
Recalling my tune debacle. Dealer totally flubbed up, phoned me after having Ranger for 10 days stating they were unsuccessful at uploading the tune to my truck. Drove over to the dealer, start Ranger and a CEL is illuminated. Service Writer takes it back, brings Ranger back out after about 10 minutes: someone had forgotten to plug up a sensor.

In the following days, I phone a well known Ford speed shop two counties to the east. I bring it over, he tells me the tune is missing from the calibrator unit and FRPP states the assigned tune had already been 'redeemed'. Speed Shop explained the situation, FRPP reissued the tune and a new validation number, and away we went.

After 5 failed attempts to upload the tune, he realized the firmware hadn't been checked. Updated the firmware and the upload went without a hitch. Also his first time using the FRPP calibrator tool. The implication being his equipment was a bit more sophisticated.

Ranger still had low miles, but the midrange improvement was most obvious immediately. Speed Shop stated the more I drove Ranger, the quicker it would acclimate itself to the new programming - he was right. At 39 months and just over 12k miles, Ranger is still aways from being fully broken in IMO. 20k miles is my rule of thumb.

Image: Auto Ferry, Mayport, Florida, December, 2019

IMG_0539.JPG
Sponsored

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
Keep in mind that some tunes call for higher octane gas. Not sure what the issues are with using the wrong octane, but you'll probably want to find out what tune, if any, it has.

OP
OP
WhiteRangerDanger

WhiteRangerDanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Thanks again everyone, the wify has the truck now but hopefully I can do the following as one the members here stated this weekend and get back to yall.
I believe it's been tuned, download and read the instructions for the programmer that you have and go to the calibration menu and see how many tunes it lists. Of it has 2 times it's been tuned.
==========================
You can check the files on the calibration tool right where it's at in your truck. Under "calibration" on the main menu.

Question though, if the truck does not have a tune, would you suggest for me to bring it back to the a certified Ford dealer to tune it and what is the cost?

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
Question though, if the truck does not have a tune, would you suggest for me to bring it back to the a certified Ford dealer to tune it and what is the cost?
Depends if you want the tune or not, and if you have a warranty.

The Ford tune will not 'void' any warranty, but the language is complicated. If something goes wrong while the tune is installed, Ford can claim that the tune caused the problem and not cover it under warranty. According to many other Ford forums, and @LevittownFordParts.com, Ford has never blamed their own tune for an issue, therefore the likelihood of getting a hypothetical problem fixed under warranty is very high.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks again everyone, the wify has the truck now but hopefully I can do the following as one the members here stated this weekend and get back to yall.
I believe it's been tuned, download and read the instructions for the programmer that you have and go to the calibration menu and see how many tunes it lists. Of it has 2 times it's been tuned.
==========================
You can check the files on the calibration tool right where it's at in your truck. Under "calibration" on the main menu.

If I had to do it over again I wouldn't pay anyone. If you're forced to buy and download another tune, be sure to get the new validation number and check for device firmware updates before downloading anything. FRPP will explain the procedure at their end.

The Calibrator will walk you through the upload procedure.

'Shore Power' is a good idea: plug up at least a 2amp battery charger to maintain everything if the upload takes longer than expected.

OP
OP
WhiteRangerDanger

WhiteRangerDanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
If I had to do it over again I wouldn't pay anyone. If you're forced to buy and download another tune, be sure to get the new validation number and check for device firmware updates before downloading anything. FRPP will explain the procedure at their end.

'Shore Power' is a good idea: plug up at least a 2amp battery charger to maintain everything if the upload takes longer than expected.

Thank you, the safest bet is for me just to see if there is a tune, BTW it feels like there is a tune cuz it's pretty quick. But if it doesn't then I will just leave it be and use that little Ford Calob box as a "look at my truck, it's pretty' lol.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thank you, the safest bet is for me just to see if there is a tune, BTW it feels like there is a tune cuz it's pretty quick. But if it doesn't then I will just leave it be and use that little Ford Calob box as a "look at my truck, it's pretty' lol.
Without a tune, 93 Premium will give you 15 more RWHP - dyno proven, not kidding.

OP
OP
WhiteRangerDanger

WhiteRangerDanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
That's the $800 question. Maybe the previous owner thought it would be better for some reason? Or the Subaru dealer thought it might mess with a warranty? Like I said, everything points to a tune, but if Ford Performance has nothing with that VIN then that kind of trumps all theories at this point.
So I did more digging, a member here stated that they can use that tune on another car if applicable but I dont think the prev owner did delete it becuase if so, then they would have taken the Ford Tool.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
If it was a "home" installation, it probably wouldn't be on the servers. And, a home installation would also void the warranty for that product since it was not dealer installed. It most likely has the tune package, but no warranty. My dealer quoted 400.00 for the install. So, it's probably non dealer install per instructions for self installation.
Even a home install should still hit the servers... remember you need to connect the truck and load the VIN into the tuner before you can download the tune, so during the download request the VIN should be passed to FP. But, FP expects you to call or email that the tune was installed to activate the warranty, so if they go based on the later (manual contact) to add the VIN to a customer service searchable list it is possible it's tuned but not "registered". But, I'm 100% sure that somewhere in their database, even if they can't confirm it, they have a log of that VIN when the tuner downloaded the tune for it.

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
So I did more digging, a member here stated that they can use that tune on another car if applicable but I dont think the prev owner did delete it becuase if so, then they would have taken the Ford Tool.
Once the tune has been redeemed it can only be used for the one VIN. AKA the tune can't be used on two different Rangers. It seems weird, but the previous owner could have just bought the tool, and a K&N filter without necessarily buying the tune. At least one member on here did just that. It's pretty simple, if you have the tune there will be two files on the tool.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Once the tune has been redeemed it can only be used for the one VIN.
This.

Previous owner might have bought the tuner but never got the tunes. That would be an extra charge to get the package of them. Be it 87, 93, Tow using same octanes etc. When you buy them the VIN, handset ID and registration are all done. Then you load what ever tune you want or none at all.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
You’ve noticed it’s quick, huh? Yep, they’re pretty damn quick, tuned or not. ?

Have you tried driving in S mode on your shifter?

Have fun and hang on tight! ?

Dave1899

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercrew Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Retired Living the Life
Nice observation, I thought these were standard.
They used to be standard on the Lariat trim but Ford decieded they could save some $$$ by eliminating them as well as some other things... You got a great deal on your Ranger with all those upgrades, enjoy.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
You’ve noticed it’s quick, huh? Yep, they’re pretty damn quick, tuned or not. ?

Have you tried driving in S mode on your shifter?

Have fun and hang on tight! ?
Ranger is no Hot Rod but it's performance is clearly and easily perceptible. Freeway on ramp with 4 substantial adults and Ranger gets everyone's attention without seeming to work hard. :)

OP
OP
WhiteRangerDanger

WhiteRangerDanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Even a home install should still hit the servers... remember you need to connect the truck and load the VIN into the tuner before you can download the tune, so during the download request the VIN should be passed to FP. But, FP expects you to call or email that the tune was installed to activate the warranty, so if they go based on the later (manual contact) to add the VIN to a customer service searchable list it is possible it's tuned but not "registered". But, I'm 100% sure that somewhere in their database, even if they can't confirm it, they have a log of that VIN when the tuner downloaded the tune for it.
I will call again and talk to a different tech...2nd opnion.
Sponsored