First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
As a thought exercise; some positive takeaways. (All my opinions.) Ford is sticking with the 2.3L Ecoboost and 10R80 transmission for the base Ranger which means on their end they must see the package, in the big picture, as reliable and cost-effective for them to service in the long run. So to me that is comforting food for thought when I might have immersed myself in too much "trouble forum" reading.

They are also sticking with the T6 platform for one more cycle which to me speaks to the fact that Ford believes it was ahead of its time and is prepared to remain competitive through one more mid-size production run across the board - whereas many of their competitors have had to make revisions to frame AND powertrain in 2024 to catch up.

For the looks - well, change happens. Eventually I'll have a big screen and like it but for now I'm happy I had the opportunity to snag what I consider to be a unique product in a bland lineup. I'd have to drive all of these new trucks to see but if the new Ranger is basically like my Ranger, and I NEED a replacement, I'd certainly consider another based on the formula I listed above.
Sponsored

HippoTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Carbonized Gray Ranger Tremor
I really don't like the look. I'm a bit weird though, I generally don't like the boxed off look most modern trucks are going with (I even preferred the previous gen Nissan Frontier since it had great visibility).

I would love a 5g Ranger with the updated 10R80 tune though...

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I expect that whether I like a specific verison of the new Ranger is going to depend heavily on the color and the trim level. I've felt the same way about a lot of the F150s I see on the roads.

The way it sits right now, though, there's nothing major on the new one that has me clamoring to trade mine. And that's perfectly fine.

With so many of us 5g folks perfectly happy to keep what we have, it helps Ford on the demand side, right? Haha.

Except maybe the Ranger Raptor. I see that one being a hot model that's hard to get. While it's a cool truck (and so far from what I've seen, the best looking one of the bunch), it doesn't suit my needs as well.

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
My guess this will be the age old model of the highest trim looking nice, then all other trims below it looking like an after-thought.

Every time I watch a new raptor advertisement from overseas I'm like "Its growing on me, I kind of dig it" - then I see photos like this thread and realize how butt friggin ugly the thing is when its not spruced up with makeup.

Basically, like some women.

Vehicles are better, the makeup doesn't come off every night before bed.
giphy-3.gif

Frank

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
If the 2.7 V6 is available in any 6G, I will be willing to overlook its oddities.

Gdub

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I am not ready for a new Ranger until at least 2025. My 2002 Ranger is still running too well with over 280K miles on it. I too am waiting for the 2.7 V6 engine.

I doubt the looks will change much from 2024 to 2025 but I am not disliking the 2024. I can't say it has great style but it is a truck not a sports car.

I almost talked myself into ordering a 2023 because of the rumors the Supercab would not be available in 2024 or later. I am glad I didn't order the 2023 because it looks like there will be a 2024 Supercab and maybe even a Tremor in a Supercab. This is what I want to replace my 02 FX4.

ReigleCM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
NASA Geospatial Analyst
Huge let down after seeing the (awesome) new Raptor so many times, the XLT just isn't doing it for me.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I really don't like the look. I'm a bit weird though, I generally don't like the boxed off look most modern trucks are going with (I even preferred the previous gen Nissan Frontier since it had great visibility).
This is the big one for me. They're damaging an important aspect of functionality (visibility) for the sake of an aesthetic. And I don't even particularly like the aesthetic.

And to add insult to injury, they then brag about it being wider. Because everyone who bought a 5g was thinking, "man, if only this thing were two inches wider". So instead of a midsize that's 5.7 inches narrower than a 1995 F150, you get one that's 3.7 inches narrower than a 1995 F150. They're designing this thing for the automotive press, not customers.

Craig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I saw the pictures of the 2024 outsinde Target and wanted to know why if you would have the chance to take pictures, lay down and get some underbody pictures.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
To me it just looks goofy. While I know there are more important things than looks I still have to like the look of my vehicle. Plus I hate Tacomas so there's that too. lol :puke:
I think looks are the most important thing really. What drew your eye to it originally? Do you want to see some ugly pile of crap every day? I mean practicality and intelligence are required but there has to be balance.
Sponsored