Unleashed, torquerules shift strategy

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Because I have more money than sense, I bought the Unleashed tuner (even though I own the Livernois one). Since I have run every Livernois tune AND now have tried the Unleashed/torquerules performance tune I'll give you my assessment:

The Livernois tunes (after the trans learning) started to develop a weird stumble at light throttle and low speed. Couldn't figure it out. I also had a few instances where the trans would slam into gear or hold a gear way too long. I loved the power but even though the shifting is better than stock, it just wasn't right.

This Unleashed/torquerules tune I've been running for about 500 miles and I'll be damned if it doesn't feel like a completely different vehicle. The power increase is there but it shifts soooo nice.

The truck still shifts like shit when it's near zero outside, but I don't think that's ever going to change.

@TORQUERULES and Unleashed have a fan in me for sure. I promoted the Livernois tune for a long time, but after trying this Unleashed tune I won't be going back.
thanks for this post. I am glad to hear someone who has tried both
Sponsored

Rod B

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT sport 2WD, extended cab (long bed)
I just recently installed my Unleashed tune and love it. My Ranger shifts way better and man she flies now. I got the 91 ( Oregon has 91 not 93) tune and tow tunes from Torrie. Great guy to work with. Since I am only 4 miles from work on city streets I usually drop 9th and 10th gears. I am really liking my tune so far.
You still like the tune? Did you have torquerules shift strategy added?
I just pulled the trigger and ordered the unit. I’ve been trying to get together exactly what tunes to tell him once the unit arrives. I prepaid for three…why I don’t know. 2 would have done it. Lol.

OP
OP

Juniorgoss

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Technician supervisor
I just pulled the trigger and ordered the unit. I’ve been trying to get together exactly what tunes to tell him once the unit arrives. I prepaid for three…why I don’t know. 2 would have done it. Lol.
I have the 87 tow and the 93 performance. The 87 tow seems much more responsive normal driving. Throttle response is awesome. The 93 performance tune drives like stock as far as throttle response, but comes to life and pulls hard when you put your foot into it. I have the shift strategy applied to both tunes and wouldn't have it either way. Both tunes driven normal get about the same fuel mileage.

Rod B

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the 87 tow and the 93 performance. The 87 tow seems much more responsive normal driving. Throttle response is awesome. The 93 performance tune drives like stock as far as throttle response, but comes to life and pulls hard when you put your foot into it. I have the shift strategy applied to both tunes and wouldn't have it either way. Both tunes driven normal get about the same fuel mileage.
Thanks for the advice. Once it gets here, I’ll have to ask him a few things like sport mode being useless or not when running 93 performances and tow mode same thing when running the tow tune.

Rod B

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because I have more money than sense, I bought the Unleashed tuner (even though I own the Livernois one). Since I have run every Livernois tune AND now have tried the Unleashed/torquerules performance tune I'll give you my assessment:

The Livernois tunes (after the trans learning) started to develop a weird stumble at light throttle and low speed. Couldn't figure it out. I also had a few instances where the trans would slam into gear or hold a gear way too long. I loved the power but even though the shifting is better than stock, it just wasn't right.

This Unleashed/torquerules tune I've been running for about 500 miles and I'll be damned if it doesn't feel like a completely different vehicle. The power increase is there but it shifts soooo nice.

The truck still shifts like shit when it's near zero outside, but I don't think that's ever going to change.

@TORQUERULES and Unleashed have a fan in me for sure. I promoted the Livernois tune for a long time, but after trying this Unleashed tune I won't be going back.
You can always do what I did and move to Florida. Lol

OP
OP

Juniorgoss

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Technician supervisor
Thanks for the advice. Once it gets here, I’ll have to ask him a few things like sport mode being useless or not when running 93 performances and tow mode same thing when running the tow tune.
Not sure about the tow mode on the tow tune. But on the 93 tune. In drive it's fairly normal driving, but gets aggressive in sport mode.

Jimco

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Contractor
For sure the way this trans shifts is junk and driving me crazy too. The power is good enough for my DD use, but I can see that having a 91 tune on tap would be fun and/or helpful sometimes. I am not a techie so bear with me here.

How does a tune of any kind load and unload? Can it happen literally on the fly via something in the cab, or does it happen via laptop or whatever device plugged in to the OBD port? Is there such a thing as a "transmission only" tune? That sounds silly when the other power parameters are available, but again I'm reasonably satisfied with the engine and want to keep max mileage.

In any case for me.....I can't risk the 7yr/125K PremiumCARE warranty. Are all of these tunes able to be eradicated at will such that Ford will never know if the truck goes to them for whatever reason?

Attachments

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
For sure the way this trans shifts is junk and driving me crazy too. The power is good enough for my DD use, but I can see that having a 91 tune on tap would be fun and/or helpful sometimes. I am not a techie so bear with me here.

How does a tune of any kind load and unload? Can it happen literally on the fly via something in the cab, or does it happen via laptop or whatever device plugged in to the OBD port? Is there such a thing as a "transmission only" tune? That sounds silly when the other power parameters are available, but again I'm reasonably satisfied with the engine and want to keep max mileage.

In any case for me.....I can't risk the 7yr/125K PremiumCARE warranty. Are all of these tunes able to be eradicated at will such that Ford will never know if the truck goes to them for whatever reason?
Ford will know. There is a flash counter in the pcm. The pcm also records key cycles. So no way to hide the tune without a spare pcm.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4

You won't lose mileage with the tune as long as you control your foot. I've seen an increase in mileage myself.

The process depends on which tuner you buy. I have an SCT from Unleashed that connects directly to WiFi (no computer needed). The Livernois requires a PC. They both talk to the truck via OBD.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Rod I don't know if I have the torquerules shift added or not. I was just assuming that they gave me the latest greatest tune? I am still waiting for some decent weather to go for a good long drive on some freeways and back roads to test out this tune. I am curious about the tow tune also but it will be a few more months until I try it out in June. Thanks for asking.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient

I've only had Unleashed, and one of the tunes Torrie sent me had weird shifting issues - wouldn't go to 10th in the highway (in Florida!?!) after a good 7-10 minute warmup, wonky power issues. Torrie jumped on it and within two iterations I was cranking again. This was before the oft-mentioned trans shift programming enhancement which I since added (I think?) now I wonder if there's been another tweak. My last software file from him was a year ago.

"Just ask him for the torquerules shift strategy added to your tune."

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I've only had Unleashed, and one of the tunes Torrie sent me had weird shifting issues - wouldn't go to 10th in the highway (in Florida!?!) after a good 7-10 minute warmup, wonky power issues. Torrie jumped on it and within two iterations I was cranking again. This was before the oft-mentioned trans shift programming enhancement which I since added (I think?) now I wonder if there's been another tweak. My last software file from him was a year ago.

"Just ask him for the torquerules shift strategy added to your tune."
Can't speak to the normal tune. I requested the torquerules shift pattern off the bat. It's been great for me. I also asked for the tow tune with the same shift logic which I have yet to try.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Can't speak to the normal tune. I requested the torquerules shift pattern off the bat. It's been great for me. I also asked for the tow tune with the same shift logic which I have yet to try.
My sole tune is a 'custom' midgrade 89 octane or better performance tune. Torrie said it would be fine for towing although he cautioned watching temps - though that's not extensive in the stock Ranger.

For light towing I've left the tune on. Big trailers and long distance (over 500 miles) I just revert to stock and use tow mode.

No Earth Shattering Kaboom™ yet.

philanderer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ford ranger
i emailed Torrie today and he replied in about an hour and a half with the file revision info. i will throw it on there tomorrow and see if i like it better than what i currently have. the shifting with my 87 performance tune has been a little iffy

CAB

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Tremor 301A; 2021 Lincoln Nautilus
Occupation
Insurance Adjuster
I added the Unleashed 93 Performance tune about 12 days ago. At first I was not overly impressed but I still had some 89 octane in the tank. I have since emptied the tank and it’s been running on full93 for well over a week with great results. Noticeable power improvement.

I actually inquired today on whether the tune I received had the @TORQUERULES shift strategy and Torrie replied that it did. Shifts are solid with no issues or hunting for a gear.

This is my first vehicle with a “tune” and so far I’m impressed. And the customer service from Unleashed is second to none. If only he could magically make it sound like a V8!
Sponsored