Unleashed, torquerules shift strategy

Rod B

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT sport 2WD, extended cab (long bed)
I added the Unleashed 93 Performance tune about 12 days ago. At first I was not overly impressed but I still had some 89 octane in the tank. I have since emptied the tank and it’s been running on full93 for well over a week with great results. Noticeable power improvement.

I actually inquired today on whether the tune I received had the @TORQUERULES shift strategy and Torrie replied that it did. Shifts are solid with no issues or hunting for a gear.

This is my first vehicle with a “tune” and so far I’m impressed. And the customer service from Unleashed is second to none. If only he could magically make it sound like a V8!
That’s what pulled me in..all the good reviews here and the fact he responded to an email in 10 minutes. I only have 12k on my 2020 and honestly I’m a bit (maybe a lot) scared to void the warranty. It’s actually started shifting pretty good lately , but I still get these out of the blue weirdness issues. I could have swore it slipped on a 700 mile trip recently while doing 75. Then out of nowhere 3 days ago, it hung in third gear up to redline when I put my foot in it, even hung when I let off all the way down to 1200 Then lunged into 4th. Ps. It’s going in for the child restraint tie point recall next week. I ignored it until I found out I can get the folding rear headrests for free..lol. Thanks to this forum.
Sponsored

philanderer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ford ranger
just got around to loading this, and my initial impression is that i am very pleased. except that now my check engine light is on. anyone else have this occur? emailed torrie so i will wait and see what he has to say

Rod B

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT sport 2WD, extended cab (long bed)
just got around to loading this, and my initial impression is that i am very pleased. except that now my check engine light is on. anyone else have this occur? emailed torrie so i will wait and see what he has to say
Loaded mine yesterday but only had a chance to drive it a short distance today. No check engine light, but I did notice the tuner went thru and cleared codes as the last step in the loading of the tune.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
If you used the SCT box you can pull the specific code(s) that triggered the light. Are there any mechanical changes to your truck? The SCT can clear the codes too.

philanderer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ford ranger
If you used the SCT box you can pull the specific code(s) that triggered the light. Are there any mechanical changes to your truck? The SCT can clear the codes too.
literally minutes after posting this issue i went to drive my truck and the warning light was gone. guess i wont worry unless it returns

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
So, I just turned 1000 miles since my last tune revision where I worked with Torrie at Unleashed more on the shifting (This is the latest revision that many of you are trying I believe. Basically normal mode has tow mode shift points and sport mode firmness and quickness without the excessive engine braking of the two. The sport mode firmness/quickness are across the board with all modes as well.). I have been very dilligent with how I drive during that time to try to overcome Ford's adaptive strategy of picking the worst of our driving habits to base its shift strategy on instead of the best. I ran it with traction control/advance trac off as this seems to make a difference and I locked out any gears I did not need in given situations to force it to learn my way.

I can report that for two weeks now, with weather patterns ranging from 70 degree days to 30's and snowing, that I have not had any abnormal cold/first shifts in any gears, especially the ones that cause people the most trouble (3-4 and 4-5). This with varying warm up times from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. Shifting up and down in all situations have been perfect.

I am not sure if this is something that actually worked or not, but in my experience my process helped. It may have worked with me just driving normally and it is all attributed to the tune revision I worked on with Torrie. I just thought, for experimentation's sake, that I would try to do things differently to get the adaptive algorithm to follow my lead for once.

Fingers crossed. Worked hard on this...
Sponsored

Last edited: