Unleashed, torquerules shift strategy

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I just recently installed my Unleashed tune and love it. My Ranger shifts way better and man she flies now. I got the 91 ( Oregon has 91 not 93) tune and tow tunes from Torrie. Great guy to work with. Since I am only 4 miles from work on city streets I usually drop 9th and 10th gears. I am really liking my tune so far.
Glad to see it is working for you. This transmission has so many variables that control shifts. I think that due to its mechanical complexity as well as the input complexity it gets confused often. It would be nice to just completely bypass all of this and simply program it for shifting based solely on RPM , speed, and load. Like an old school automatic.
Sponsored

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Glad to see it is working for you. This transmission has so many variables that control shifts. I think that due to its mechanical complexity as well as the input complexity it gets confused often. It would be nice to just completely bypass all of this and simply program it for shifting based solely on RPM , speed, and load. Like an old school automatic.
The computers now days are supposedly smarter then us. The engineers always want to reinvent the wheel or anything for that matter.

OP
OP

Juniorgoss

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Technician supervisor

Definitely!! And God forbid you put the wrong fluid that isn't designed for 27 dollars a quart or the self implode. Technology at its finest

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I have pretty much decided that if you tune and then run the piss out of these Rangers when they are young you will have a very stable, pretty good shifting truck in the long haul.....

At 94.5K mine runs so good I don't know how to act.....
I don't push her like I used too.....but I still hit her hard occasionally just to blow the carbon out.....lol.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
That explains alot!
Toyota and Ford did share some EV tech a few years ago. The 'CVT' trans in the Escape/Maverick is a somewhat descendant of the Prius 'transmission'.

Those are in quotes because they don't actually use shifting gears to provide the ratios but rather spinning motors and planetaries. It is both fascinating and a brain bender how they work, but people seem to equate 'cvt' with the horrid belt drive system (See: Nissan/Jatco) when they're actually not and an extremely reliable system.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare

Would be nice, but it would never work. The engine and trans these days have to talk and get along. Ever since drive-by-wire became a thing (and even before, DBW just made it easier) engineers have used all kinds of neat tricks, like pulling ignition timing and fuel at the time of shift to relax loads on the clutches and keep slipping to a minimum (so fast you can't feel it). If you took a 10R80 and slammed a shift like an old Turbo 400 it would probably rip the center section right out of it, or at least bend that big aluminum shell that's in there spinning.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Because I have more money than sense, I bought the Unleashed tuner (even though I own the Livernois one). Since I have run every Livernois tune AND now have tried the Unleashed/torquerules performance tune I'll give you my assessment:

The Livernois tunes (after the trans learning) started to develop a weird stumble at light throttle and low speed. Couldn't figure it out. I also had a few instances where the trans would slam into gear or hold a gear way too long. I loved the power but even though the shifting is better than stock, it just wasn't right.

This Unleashed/torquerules tune I've been running for about 500 miles and I'll be damned if it doesn't feel like a completely different vehicle. The power increase is there but it shifts soooo nice.

The truck still shifts like shit when it's near zero outside, but I don't think that's ever going to change.

@TORQUERULES and Unleashed have a fan in me for sure. I promoted the Livernois tune for a long time, but after trying this Unleashed tune I won't be going back.

OP
OP

Juniorgoss

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Technician supervisor
Living in Florida, we don't leave the house if it's under 50 degrees, so I will possibly never experience this!

I let anyone that owns a ranger/f150/mustang drive my truck just because how much better it makes the 10spd

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The truck still shifts like shit when it's near zero outside, but I don't think that's ever going to change.

Living in Florida, we don't leave the house if it's under 50 degrees, so I will possibly never experience this!

I let anyone that owns a ranger/f150/mustang drive my truck just because how much better it makes the 10spd
It's cold as balls here in the Rockies. Takes the trans a bit to warm up. Might bite the bullet and check the fluid level just to be sure.

OP
OP

Juniorgoss

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Technician supervisor
I bought mine at 40k miles. Put 5k on it. I need to change the fluid in mine. I've heard that helps alittle too. But I think the tune was key to making it shift the way it should have from Ford

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought mine at 40k miles. Put 5k on it. I need to change the fluid in mine. I've heard that helps alittle too. But I think the tune was key to making it shift the way it should have from Ford
You sold me on it when you said it shifted like the Ram 8-speed. I miss that transmission.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Yes, you should definitely check your fluid because mine was a little low. But, the issue of the cold first shifts will come back no matter what. Some vehicles do not have this, but about 90% of the people I've talked to do. And it's not really so much the weather, but it's the first shift on a cold transmission. No matter what your temperature is outside. The cold weather just exacerbates it.

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
I have the unleashed 91 tune and between 45 to 50 my trans is hunting for gears up down up down drives me nuts, do we have to ask for Torquerules trans settings

OP
OP

Juniorgoss

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Technician supervisor
I have the unleashed 91 tune and between 45 to 50 my trans is hunting for gears up down up down drives me nuts, do we have to ask for Torquerules trans settings
I emailed Torrie, he charged me a hundred bucks for the new file but I have several tunes and he has made a alot of changes to my existing tunes. Just ask him for the torquerules shift strategy added to your tune. He sent it to me within a hour
Sponsored