First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Technician supervisor
Just want to give feedback. I have two unleashed tunes 87 tow and 93 performance. The truck has always shifted like garbage, stock, and with the tunes. Had Torrie mess with the tunes a few times and still it shifted like garbage. I contacted Torrie and had him send me the shift files he and torquerules developed. 20 miles later I would swear it's a new truck. Shifts amazing, doesn't hunt gears, sits alittle higher rpm cruising but not annoying and actually drives great because it's not lugging. I couldn't recommend enough and I haven't driven it enough to adapt to my driving.
Sponsored

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have the Livernois tunes but you're giving me massive FOMO right now... I still dislike the way it behaves shift-wise sometimes.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP

Juniorgoss

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Technician supervisor
I have the Livernois tunes but you're giving me massive FOMO right now... I still dislike the way it behaves shift-wise sometimes.
I came from a 8spd ram. Yes most will knock chrysler. But the 8spd is a great trans. The 10r80 in the ranger felt like complete trash comparative. Mine always banged 4 to 5th or 6th whichever it thought about shifting into. I actually thought there was something wrong with the trans. After this last flash I did with the new trans strategy it shifts better than the 8spd in the ram.

Powerwise I don't know if I do have and issue, but I have a cvf downpipe and a mishmoto intake and with the 93 performance tune. I don't feel the difference alot of people swear by. But again, could be my truck. I do avg 21mpg and it is quick for what it is. But I would spend a 1000 bucks knowing just the difference in the trans feel. I do drive like a old man and I find it very comfortable, it's not abrupt like sport mode but shifts confident and smooth

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I came from a 8spd ram. Yes most will knock chrysler. But the 8spd is a great trans. The 10r80 in the ranger felt like complete trash comparative. Mine always banged 4 to 5th or 6th whichever it thought about shifting into. I actually thought there was something wrong with the trans. After this last flash I did with the new trans strategy it shifts better than the 8spd in the ram.

Powerwise I don't know if I do have and issue, but I have a cvf downpipe and a mishmoto intake and with the 93 performance tune. I don't feel the difference alot of people swear by. But again, could be my truck. I do avg 21mpg and it is quick for what it is. But I would spend a 1000 bucks knowing just the difference in the trans feel. I do drive like a old man and I find it very comfortable, it's not abrupt like sport mode but shifts confident and smooth
FWIW I was a Dodge/Ram/Dakota fanboy until I needed a midsize they didn't offer so I know what you're referring to. I appreciate the review!

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
I'm pretty set on an unleashed tunes, soon as I see how much money I have to donate to the government.
Was speaking torquerules on the side about the tunes he used/developed with Torrie.
My plan is 87 and mid grade (90-91) and a tow tune for that possibility. And if I have to run high test I guess I would.
When you all are speaking of shifting issues, are you referring to the shaking, shuddering, stuttering, insert description here, that most us driving these trucks have at low speed and or taking off from a stop? Is there not a TSB/repair for this issue? Would the tune fix that?

OP
OP

Juniorgoss

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Technician supervisor
I'm pretty set on an unleashed tunes, soon as I see how much money I have to donate to the government.
Was speaking torquerules on the side about the tunes he used/developed with Torrie.
My plan is 87 and mid grade (90-91) and a tow tune for that possibility. And if I have to run high test I guess I would.
When you all are speaking of shifting issues, are you referring to the shaking, shuddering, stuttering, insert description here, that most us driving these trucks have at low speed and or taking off from a stop? Is there not a TSB/repair for this issue? Would the tune fix that?
I've been running the 93 performance tune mainly. Really just working the bugs out. The 87 tow tune actually felt alittle more responsive just not the power of the 93 tune at higher rpm.

As far as the shuddering, shaking, lugging, constant shifting up and down at low rpm, definitely gone. I never had issues taking off from a stop. But shifting through the gears it really was a issue, for me. I think these trans all have a mind of there own. The new tune with the trans strategy corrected anything I had issues with

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I came from a 8spd ram. Yes most will knock chrysler. But the 8spd is a great trans.
That's because Stellantis/Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat/whoeverthehell didn't have anything to do with it. The ZF8 has been used and developed for years now and is about as solid of a unit as you can get. Even though my 10R80 works just fine, I think the ZF8 is a better trans by far, and I usually have a dim view of German-designed things in general, I find them overcomplicated and not well thought out. That trans is an exception though, it is a great unit.

Although the stupid filter-in-pan thing they do is pretty stupid, I'm willing to overlook that.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I have over 10k miles on an 87 Performance tune with custom tranny tuning from Unleashed and could not be happier.

My biggest complaint with the 10 speed was the programming that tried to get the tranny into 10th gear ASAP. After 6 years and 100k miles of driving a 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang with a manual it was very apparent that the 2.3 was not happy being driven below 1500 rpm which happened all the time with the stock tranny programming on the Ranger. Keeping the rpm between 1500 and 2000 rpm when cruising gives you the best gas mileage and the engine is the smoothest. It took three revisions to the tranny programming from Torrie at Unleashed but the third revision nailed it.

OP
OP

Juniorgoss

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Technician supervisor
That's because Stellantis/Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat/whoeverthehell didn't have anything to do with it. The ZF8 has been used and developed for years now and is about as solid of a unit as you can get. Even though my 10R80 works just fine, I think the ZF8 is a better trans by far, and I usually have a dim view of German-designed things in general, I find them overcomplicated and not well thought out. That trans is an exception though, it is a great unit.

Although the stupid filter-in-pan thing they do is pretty stupid, I'm willing to overlook that.
I thought the 10r80 was a conglomerate of toyota, chevy, and ford. Being Aisin being the manufacturer? Agree the ZF is a fantastic trans

Reactions: Doc

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I thought the 10r80 was a conglomerate of toyota, chevy, and ford. Being Aisin being the manufacturer? Agree the ZF is a fantastic trans
It was a GM Ford joint venture, Toyota had nothing to do with it. GM manufactures their version in Michigan and Mexico while Ford makes their version in just Michigan. Aisin has nothing to do with the manufacture.

OP
OP

Juniorgoss

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Technician supervisor
It was a GM Ford joint venture, Toyota had nothing to do with it. GM manufactures their version in Michigan and Mexico while Ford makes their version in just Michigan. Aisin has nothing to do with the manufacture.
That explains alot!

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
This might be a dumb question but do most tunes also include new trans shifting maps?

I'm not sure what to do. I think the stock power is good, but I HATE the way the trans shifts. It always wants to be in 10th gear so I'm always having to punch the throttle to get it back down to an appropriate gear. I think 7th gear at 10mph is insane, for example. The truck lugs and bogs like crazy.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
I put the stock tune on the other day after a year of running the 93 daily tune from 5 star, and boy did I instantly notice how bad the shifting was and how slow the truck was. I guess I kinda just forgot how that felt. On the street the shifting was horrible and the fan would kick on and stay on when taking off which was loud and on the highway I'm used to flooring it on the on ramp and making a smooth linear transition to the left lane but man I got on and saw a car in the left lane coming with speed and said ok I can stay ahead and go faster than him and had the pedal floored and the truck just wouldn't move and took forever just to get to like 90 I felt bad and switched lanes to allow him to pass.

Tune good-no tune bad

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I just recently installed my Unleashed tune and love it. My Ranger shifts way better and man she flies now. I got the 91 ( Oregon has 91 not 93) tune and tow tunes from Torrie. Great guy to work with. Since I am only 4 miles from work on city streets I usually drop 9th and 10th gears. I am really liking my tune so far.
Sponsored