First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My cure for some of this lag is monitoring driving conditions & manually locking out upper gears to keep RPMs up so if throttle is need I have very good throttle response. Then when conditions allow I shift back to upper gears. Does not really seem to affect fuel mileage. I do this also when driving on hilly, windy roads to keep the transmission from search for gears. :like:
When we go up north and are on the hilly backroads I do the same but use S mode and manually shift. This way you can control the shifts and it especially helps with steep descends so you're not always on the breaks.
Sponsored

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
If mine was up there in mileage and performance was obviously lacking, I'd seriously consider a BG induction cleaning service. Just MO.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The truck adapts the transmission shift points a bit to how you drive.
This is a common mis-conception. The adaptive feature of the transmisison is to adapt itself to manufacturing variances, not to driving style.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I can't speak for all of the "Tunes" out there, as I only have the Ford Performance tune. It does improve the lag, but the amount of lag depends on many factors. The biggest one is, obviously, ambient temperature.

I live in Roswell, NM, and it DOES (!) get hot here. Good intercooler or not, this causes the charge temperature to rise. The Engine management system, therefore adjusts the various parameters (ignition timing if nothing else), to provide the best power out, using whatever fuel you use, etc.

I'm not one to speak. I have on hand, a pair of 7 inch OD fans, and the hardware to install them on the front of the stock intercooler. I've also order a water spray unit, but haven't receive it. With these installed (when it gets cool enough to do it!), I suspect the effects of high temperature will be reduced. Eliminated? Of course not! Just reduced .

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
have you tried just driving around with the tow mode on? I've noticed better shifting and that may help?

dbrow1982

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL Ford Ranger
Mine feels exactly the same. I came from driving an SS Camaro so I was used to that instant torque but this thing can feel like a complete turd until about 3000 RPM then she wakes up a bit. Just the nature of the thing I guess.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Just like a Diesel, you can't just PUNCH it with a Turbo. You needs the right RPM so the Turbo is at a fast enough rate to deliver the power you want!

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Mine feels exactly the same. I came from driving an SS Camaro so I was used to that instant torque but this thing can feel like a complete turd until about 3000 RPM then she wakes up a bit. Just the nature of the thing I guess.
Yeah. The same here. I just have to get used to a turbo charged engine.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
My truck is tuned by Unleashed and Torie changes the shirt points....or I should say in stays in each gear a little longer to keep the RPM's up a bit more than stock. This, in my opinion, reduces lag.....typically speaking though these small turbos have minimal lag.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yeah. The same here. I just have to get used to a turbo charged engine.
I think a lot of the problem is that the truck likes to get into really high gears fast, sits at about 1500 rpm when just tooling around. Then is has to downshift, spool the turbo up more, yadda yadda yadda. Which is fine for my grandma style driving, but not for everybody.
Honestly ecoboosts spool incredibly fast, their turbos are tiny but there will always be a "roll in" feeling to the power with a turbo.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Agreed that you may be confusing the symptoms with turbo lag vs drive-by-wire delays. I'm in MIchigan so I haven't really driven the truck in triple digit heat nor is the AC ever blowing like crazy. OP, I recommend you do the following test:

Find an open/rural road and coast at about 30 mph or so. Put the transmission into manual mode (S mode while using the gear selector) and select a gear that will put the engine at about 3000 rpm or so. Once you're at a steady state at that speed, punch the gas. You will definitely notice a slight delay and power surge as boost builds. That's turbo lag. Make a mental note of how the delay feels.

Now, on the same road and same conditions, just put the transmission into normal D. Again, cruise at 30 mph but this time, let the transmission just upshift to whatever gear it wants to for fuel economy. Once you're at a steady state, punch the gas. This time you'll feel a different delay while you wait for the engine to downshift and wait for the boost to build. Make a mental note of how that delay feels.

By flooring it when you've selected a specific gear, you're eliminating some of the drive-by-wire pedal mapping differences to see if you can isolate feeling the turbo lag. When the transmission is upshifting (i.e. when you floor it from D), the lag should feel longer since the computer has to decide what gear it wants, do the actual shifting/rev matching, and build boost. The heat may make it a little more difficult for the engine to upshift and make power since the air isn't as dense too, exacerbating the issues that you feel.

You can play around what delay differences you feel with different gears and speeds. Hope you get your issues figured out!

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
The GFB Diverter valve helps with the physical aspect of lag.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Upgraded bov will have zero effect on lag provided the stock one stays closed when building boost.
It's not an upgraded bov to begin with. It turns the stock bypass valve from an on/off to a progressive valve. It maintains enough boost in the system that when you reapply throttle it takes less time to spool back up...…
Sponsored