FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I live in Arizona and have noticed this to some degree also. I mostly drive in the city, a small city and speeds rarely are above 45-50. What I do is leave it in normal drive mode and push the minus button on the shifter once to turn on Progressive Gear Selection mode, the gear indicator shows up on the right portion of the dash panel where the compass is located etc.. It will show what gear the transmission is in at all times. Since I know my speed is rarely going to be above 45mph or so I lock out the higher gears ( 10th, 9th, and sometimes 8th), this stops the transmission from shifting into the higher gears which will bog down the engine at lower speeds. At say 45mph in 7th gear it keeps my rpm's at about 1700 to 1800 rpm's which I like, the engine is not bogged down, the turbo is at a decent speed to respond pretty quickly and I haven't noticed a drop in gas mileage doing this. Watch the whole video. At about 58 seconds in it talks about Progressive Gear Selection mode. Pressing the +button will turn all 10 gears back on. I use this mode all the time.
Never thought of that. That is something I can certainly try. Great idea.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The 10r80 doesn't care how you drive. It has load based maps in the tuning of transmission . It has mapping for all the calculated load points and adjusts multiple pressures to meet the specified shift time in that instance.
It you only drive at 90-100% load (WOT) all the time, the trans will only have adapts completed in that area. And will shift like an unlearned transmission everywhere else.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I just happened across this anecdotal blurb in a review:

The ten-speed transmission shifts very quickly, but all those speeds paired with programming that errs a little too far toward the pursuit of good fuel economy mean that there can be a slight delay when you suddenly ask for quick acceleration. Around town, the transmission may be operating in eighth or tenth gear, depending on your speed, meaning it will need to shift down four or six gears to deliver what you’re asking for. I’ve seen some reviewers attribute this delay to something commonly called turbo lag, but it is, in fact, just those four or six gearshifts all taking one or two seconds to occur. Shifting the transmission into sport mode, or taking manual control of the gears through the buttons on the shift lever, eliminates this.

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
^^^^^ I'd agree with all that ^^^^^^

We've had a few turbo cars ( I've even built one from scratch, pic related ). My wife has a stick shift VW Tiguan and the only time you notice lag is when you are in the wrong gear. Put the Ranger in sport mode and have it in the right gear and she moves just fine and promptly.

c6ael45.jpg

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I just happened across this anecdotal blurb in a review:

The ten-speed transmission shifts very quickly, but all those speeds paired with programming that errs a little too far toward the pursuit of good fuel economy mean that there can be a slight delay when you suddenly ask for quick acceleration. Around town, the transmission may be operating in eighth or tenth gear, depending on your speed, meaning it will need to shift down four or six gears to deliver what you’re asking for. I’ve seen some reviewers attribute this delay to something commonly called turbo lag, but it is, in fact, just those four or six gearshifts all taking one or two seconds to occur. Shifting the transmission into sport mode, or taking manual control of the gears through the buttons on the shift lever, eliminates this.
This is irrelevant information. It is not a sequential transmission. It can engage any gear it wants whenever it feels like it without "going through" any gears.
Going from 10rd to 2nd is the same time as going from 3rd to 2rd. The only delay is from the time it takes to change the rpm of the engine.

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
This is irrelevant information. It is not a sequential transmission. It can engage any gear it wants whenever it feels like it without "going through" any gears.
Going from 10rd to 2nd is the same time as going from 3rd to 2rd. The only delay is from the time it takes to change the rpm of the engine.

It's still slower reacting to a power demand than a person setting up what is required prior to it being needed. The transmission no matter how good it is can't see what's going on outside.

Reactions: Doc

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
It's still slower reacting to a power demand than a person setting up what is required prior to it being needed. The transmission no matter how good it is can't see what's going on outside.
Agreed.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
bottom line: there's no 3 second "turbo lag", period

tigeraces

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger lariat Fx4 super crew
Occupation
Telecommunications
Actually under both conditions but it seems worse if I'm already moving and at city speeds - 25/40 mph.
For me it's almost dangerous when I need to change lanes quickly and there's absolutely no acceleration for about 2 sec. when I floor it!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Doc, you sly dog?

That was a top notch Dave (@AzScorpion ) sales pitch if ever...:turkey::turkey::turkey::turkey:

I thought I put one in here but couldn't remember and was to lazy to look back. ?
Sponsored