Turbo Lag

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I'm having issues with turbo lag. I have 17,000 miles and use 93 octane.

When I punch it, it's a good 3 seconds before it takes off.

I don't want to drive in sport mode all the time but it seems to me that the lag is excessive.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Turbos by nature have a lag to them, but I wonder if it isn't the drive-by-wire system. Have you considered a Tune? Or maybe something as minor as a pedal commander might make your experience better, although i'd recommend an actual Tune vs a Pedal commander.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm having issues with turbo lag. I have 17,000 miles and use 93 octane.

When I punch it, it's a good 3 seconds before it takes off.

I don't want to drive in sport mode all the time but it seems to me that the lag is excessive.

Any thoughts?
A couple thoughts:

You're in FL is it hotter or more humid out lately? I know the turbo lag gets worse when it's really hot here. Even when tuned now with this 115 degree temps I still get a little lag still.

Have you checked/change the air filter? Not sure how much if any this will help but it could be choking it enough if it's getting dirty?

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
It's not Turbo lag. Chances are it is the drive-by-wire and the trans taking it's time to downshift. While Stock and not in Sport mode, it will prioritize economy over performance.
I'm torn between trying to drive quick in normal and not squawking the tires in Sport. I can't quite get the right mix of throttle and transmission.

DerangedPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Vehicle Showcase
I'm torn between trying to drive quick in normal and not squawking the tires in Sport. I can't quite get the right mix of throttle and transmission.
Yeah, I just use both. There is no issue with switching between the two on the fly. Drive mostly in normal and if I want to pass someone on the hwy or just screw around, I shift into party mode.

MathGod

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Platinum Lariat
Occupation
Educator
We have had horrible humidity here in Louisiana and the temps are in the triple digits.
I have noticed a change in performance, too.

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Turbos by nature have a lag to them, but I wonder if it isn't the drive-by-wire system. Have you considered a Tune? Or maybe something as minor as a pedal commander might make your experience better, although i'd recommend an actual Tune vs a Pedal commander.
I had a tune on my previous F150, 5.0L. it certainly woke it up. I had a ton of mods including a 4" lift.

I wanted to keep this one mechanically stock. I only have cosmetic mods.

I guess I'm used to immediate response when punching the pedal. I know turbos act differently and I'm just not used to it.

Last edited:

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Not a bad idea, at 15.8 my factory filter
I had a tune on my previous F150, 5.0L. it certainly woke it up. I had a ton of mods including a 4" lift.

I wanted to keep this one mechanically stock. I only have cosmetic mods.

I guess I'm used to immediate response when punching the pedal. I know turbo act differently and I'm just not used to it.
You could always try doing just a Tune, even with no other mods it would really make a noticeable difference, Tunes on forced induction always make a huge improvement vs on Naturally aspirated in this guys opinion.

You could also look into a pedal commander, as others have said its likely more the drive by wire delay, it seems pretty noticeable in the ranger to me.

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
A couple thoughts:

You're in FL is it hotter or more humid out lately? I know the turbo lag gets worse when it's really hot here. Even when tuned now with this 115 degree temps I still get a little lag still.

Have you checked/change the air filter? Not sure how much if any this will help but it could be choking it enough if it's getting dirty?
It's certainly been hot here and the lag has been worse...even worse when it's humid.

I just changed the air filter and noticed no difference.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I have also noticed the lag on the truck in the hotter conditions. It is a pain in the ass to say the least. What I have also noticed is with having the AC on it doesn't want to get up and go right away. After a while when the cab cools down the truck has no problems getting up and going much better off the line. With that being said you might want to consider turning the AC off here and there to get a better start if you have to. Yes it sounds crazy and stupid but that's what I've noticed.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
This is completely normal behavior of any turbocharged vehicle. The turbo on our Ranger is very small in order to reduce turbo lag and create boost at lower RPMs for more torque, and it works very well. Heat kills power on turbo engines, which is why there is an intercooler. If you drive your Ranger in cold temps, let's say 40 degrees or less, you will notice less turbo lag and more power. This is due to colder intake air temps and a colder intercooler, which equals colder air into the engine.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Are you saying: At a stop, auto start/stop disabled, in drive and idling, then you mat it and there is a lag. Or cruising down the highway 45-50 or so and you step on it is when it lags?

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Are you saying: At a stop, auto start/stop disabled, in drive and idling, then you mat it and there is a lag. Or cruising down the highway 45-50 or so and you step on it is when it lags?
Actually under both conditions but it seems worse if I'm already moving and at city speeds - 25/40 mph.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My cure for some of this lag is monitoring driving conditions & manually locking out upper gears to keep RPMs up so if throttle is need I have very good throttle response. Then when conditions allow I shift back to upper gears. Does not really seem to affect fuel mileage. I do this also when driving on hilly, windy roads to keep the transmission from search for gears. :like:
Sponsored