TSB 20-2339 Vehicle Buck/Surge During Low Speed Operation And/Or Engine Runs Rough After Cold Start

Dan Kobler

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT SuperCrew 302A 4x4
I didn't not have any luck with this TSB. I will probably bring it back in next week sometime and hopefully they can do something. I have had this issue since I got my truck in March of 2019. I have brought it in several times and none of the TSB's have helped :(
Sponsored

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Dealer did do the flash on mine and I have not noticed my minor surging on cold mornings like previously. I mainly noticed it on a short loop taking my kids to school and that loop is no longer in my routine, so I can't say 110% for sure it eliminated the issue, but I do believe it did. I did get a few nasty, low speed down shifts until my truck relearned me.

bloosh

First Name
Braelin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I tried to get this done for my truck today. They kept it overnight and said they couldn't reproduce it so they couldn't apply it (which is hard for me to believe). They also told me my PCM was already up to date. Is it likely that it would have already been done?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to get this done for my truck today. They kept it overnight and said they couldn't reproduce it so they couldn't apply it (which is hard for me to believe). They also told me my PCM was already up to date. Is it likely that it would have already been done?
Hi Braelin,

Find another dealer. I had this done at my local dealer who kept the truck for 2 days on something that only pays 0.4 hours. They performed the TSB and I now drive a different truck...amazing the improvement...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking about getting this done. Sometimes after sitting for a couple days, If I go to move the truck, it seems to bog driving up the hill in front of my house. But it gets better as the truck warms up.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I'm thinking about getting this done. Sometimes after sitting for a couple days, If I go to move the truck, it seems to bog driving up the hill in front of my house. But it gets better as the truck warms up.
Sounds like me
images.jpeg

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Took my 2019 in to the dealership to have them see if there's any correctable issues causing the rough/jerky 3-4 shift on cold starts. I suggested this TSB as possibly being the solution. They wanted to keep the truck a couple days so they could verify the problem, then apply the TSB and verify that it solved it. Update on day 1 was that they couldn't reproduce the issue and they were going to try again on the following (cold) morning. Service advisor was out on day 2, but got an e-mail update first thing this morning (day 3) saying that the TSB has been applied and they can't duplicate any further jerky sensations. Going to go pick up the truck shortly, so we'll see if this actually improved the shifting. Regardless, I feel better knowing the software is up-to-date and appreciate the dealership for taking my drive-quality concern seriously.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry it has not been corrected for some of you.

It has been in the 30's here in GA and I still have not had this problem since I took it in for the TSB. Also not sure why some of the dealerships are giving push-back. It is literally a 15 minute appointment. I went into my service department with the TSB printout, said "I want this done" handed it to them, they set a time/date, came in, done.

It costs them zero money outside of a small window of time/labor. They literally lost more money driving your truck to try and re-produce the problem than just doing the flash. On second thought, their "reproduction" steps probably involved driving it around the parking lot one time.

DsDad

First Name
DsDad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SC Oxford White
My 2019 XLT CC has been in the shop since Friday morning. They called today to tell me they cannot duplicate the rough idle. They said they were unaware of the TSB 20-2339(!), so I sent the link and PDF I found here. I hope to hear back that they went ahead and applied it. They couldn't duplicate my other issues, a random "keep hands on the wheel" notice and auto stop/start not working, either.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
They couldn't duplicate my other issues, a random "keep hands on the wheel" notice and auto stop/start not working, either.
I'll get the no-hands message occasionally on a really straight stretch of highway where input just isn't needed--it doesn't have a pressure sensor in the wheel or anything like that, it actually needs some side-to-side motion every so often. As far as start/stop, did you set the display to explain why it won't stop (usually will say something like "engine warming up" or "heating/cooling" or "vehicle charging")?

rangerfx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger XLT
Occupation
Buyer
I’ve been dealing with this issue since day 1 of buying the truck and couldn’t convince the dealer that it was happening. Only on cold start and the first shift from 3-4 always surges/bucks. Now I just have to convince them to do it, that’s the hard part.
This is exactly my issue with my 2019 ranger XLT. It seems to only do it when it is cold outside and the initial driving. Soon after things seem to get back to normal. I'll need to take it in soon for a service and will inquire if they can check it out as well. Thanks.

Dan Kobler

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT SuperCrew 302A 4x4
This is exactly my issue with my 2019 ranger XLT. It seems to only do it when it is cold outside and the initial driving. Soon after things seem to get back to normal. I'll need to take it in soon for a service and will inquire if they can check it out as well. Thanks.
Same here...same here ?

Dmc

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Retired
Ranger not only one that does this . I have had 16 escape 1.6 a 17 Fiesta 5spd man and now a 2020 ranger do this when they are cold . It must be a new ford thing . Just let it warm up

DsDad

First Name
DsDad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SC Oxford White
I won't disagree, as I don't have any of the vehicles you list. Our 2016 Edge 2.0L Ecoboost runs smoothly when cold, as does the 2019 Ranger, post-update. However, I had a 2013 Honda Accord 2.4L that would run poorly on the second start after I started it cold, shut it off after a few seconds, and then started it again later on.

kastory

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Has anyone had the Buck/Surge During Low Speed Operation issue on the 2020's?
Sponsored