• Total voters

Polaris130

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
I had the stupid vibration from acceleration so i played around with some spacers and now its fully gone. Had to get longer bolts because the originals were too short once the spacers were on.

EEB8626B-D8CD-418C-8BE2-2535CE18237F.jpeg

EC93E2EB-2FE0-4369-89A8-AF831A1F7578.jpeg

E9E867DE-D405-45FD-9464-1182956B0C9F.jpeg

9180B207-8971-4C01-A8E3-72317152FB82.jpeg

855C35C2-43AE-46AA-A357-273F5DD98D8A.jpeg
Sponsored

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Got my truck back. They had to add trans fluid and they also reset the trans adaptive learning. Things have improved but the symptoms still exist. Options are limited. They have Mavericks and broncos and 6G rangers and profits to think about. Ford isn't going to fix this. It's been 3 years. If I can wire my brain to tune out the issues, I think I will adore the truck as long as it doesn't break down or have recurrent drivetrain failures for crap like seals and bearings. Anyways, it looks like there are some updates to TSBs and SSMs. Not really sure what conclusions may be drawn from that but here they are. This page was attached to their internal paperwork so I asked to take a pic. I appreciate everyone's input and being my soundboard.

20210618_141857.jpg

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I had the stupid vibration from acceleration so i played around with some spacers and now its fully gone. Had to get longer bolts because the originals were too short once the spacers were on.

9180B207-8971-4C01-A8E3-72317152FB82.jpeg
What material are those spacers? Some sort of plastic? Anodized metal? Would a stack of stainless washers work as well?

Polaris130

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
What material are those spacers? Some sort of plastic? Anodized metal? Would a stack of stainless washers work as well?
Some sort of hard plastic. Smacking it with a hammer wont deform them. You can use anything

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
but...how accurate is that 20% in identifying their problem?
there comes a point when you convince yourself of an issue even if you dont have it, or its something else. Alot of these people arent experts.
you cant take that 20% of a forum poll as gospel....
What sucks is a technician that can't execute a TSB properly. Some of that 20% would be much smaller if people could read, understand, and do. I work in the building automation industry and we have the same problem. Hell, if the factory had done the proper quality control these trucks with issues would have never left the plant.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
Fixing all product In the field? According to the poll above 79.2% don’t have any problem at all.
"All the product in the field" means fixing all the product in the field with the issue. I know the poll on here shows about 80% don't have the issue. What I don't understand is why when I went back to the dealer about mine, I drove two others on their lot and both had the issue. One would think the odds of that would be pretty slim if 80% of them don't have the issue.

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
my 2021 does it as mentioned previously. And i drove my sons 2021, with 500 miles on it. his does it too. not quite as bad as mine i think. but i noticed it.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
my 2021 does it as mentioned previously. And i drove my sons 2021, with 500 miles on it. his does it too. not quite as bad as mine i think. but i noticed it.
You would think Ford could take one of the 80% that does not exhibit the problem and one of the 20% that does and figure out what is different.

Rangerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCrew
You would think Ford could take one of the 80% that does not exhibit the problem and one of the 20% that does and figure out what is different.
My thought is that after so many generations of trucks over the past 100 years that drivetrain vibration would not be a problem at all. But it doesn't appear to be isolated to Ford trucks.

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Me thinks they all do it until you complain. Perhaps some are less noticeable then others or some people are less sensitive to it than others.

Silverfox

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
Me thinks they all do it until you complain. Perhaps some are less noticeable then others or some people are less sensitive to it than others.
I agree. I’ve driven three Rangers and all had it. My dealer knew exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned it to him. He said it will get better. It is a lot better now after 6000 Km. Sometimes non existent. Theirs also many YouTube reviews that noticed it.

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I have done that for a couple of days now and that makes all the difference. Smooth shifts and the RPMs are held above 1500 RPM. Starting a long trip tomorrow and will use the Tow mode in town, normal shifting on the highways.
I got home from an 1800 mile trip to the mountains yesterday. In town and on mountainous roads, I used the tow mode and had no shudder or shaking at all. The RPMs stayed above 2000 and it was very smooth. For anything above 40 mph, I used normal driving mode and had no issues. I had the wheels balanced while I was away and that smoothed out my ride as well. Sad that you have to find a way to 'trick' the vehicle into performing properly, but I will likely keep it now.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

This whole TSB thread is about start up shudder...not continuous operation. If you have a vibration that is steady state, not from a stop...this thread and your problem is something else... An from what I can tell on these forums...it is mostly tire/whee related.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have posted several times on here about the startup shudder on my 2020 Lariat. You all probably think I hate my truck and should stop complaining. For the record I really like this truck and I am a Ford person. I actually would love the truck if Ford would fix this shudder. I just want to share some more info on this subject with everybody. Most of the time my truck has the shudder in varying degrees. A couple of days ago, I drove it and had zero shudder. I was amazed and starting wondering what was different. The only difference was the truck was down to 1/4 tank of gas, which this is the first time since I have owned it that I let it get that low. The next day I filled the tank and the shudder is back but is not as noticeable as its been since I bought the truck. I wish an engineer could tell me why this shudder is inconsistent. Also, this inconsistency to me would not be correctable by performing the TSB. Anybody have any ideas why this problem is inconsistent?

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
Hi Folks,

This whole TSB thread is about start up shudder...not continuous operation. If you have a vibration that is steady state, not from a stop...this thread and your problem is something else... An from what I can tell on these forums...it is mostly tire/whee related.
I thought it was about shudder when taking off/accelerating from a stopped position, not starting up the vehicle. I didn't know there was shudder when people start their trucks.
Sponsored