Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I"ve wondered the same thing. I know the TSB shouldn't apply, as I have a 2021 made in February (so you would have to think the factory calibrations would be up to date).

Mine only bucks and jerks when it's cold. Once the truck has been driven a few miles it's great. Really odd.
Hi Opusnbill,

It should be up to date so TSB should not apply. Take it to the dealer for diagnostics to see if something needs to be reflashed. This should not be happening in my opinion.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Opusnbill7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Hi Opusnbill,

It should be up to date so TSB should not apply. Take it to the dealer for diagnostics to see if something needs to be reflashed. This should not be happening in my opinion.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
That's definitely my thought. I asked at the dealer and they said it's "normal" for the 10 spd. It has seemed to get better, though, so it may just be part of the "break-in" period. I'll give it until the first oil change and see if it goes away. I'm already halfway there. Slight improvement but not "gone". We'll see.

Thanks though.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
Just a little information for the forum on this subject...I just drove my truck for about 60 miles today and the shudder was really noticeable all the time when taking off from a stop. I also now have the clunk in the driveline when stopping the vehicle. It was pretty consistent as well. The temp here was around 85 degrees. I have about 7K miles on the truck now.

Meangreen92lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Ford/Lincoln Technician
I checked the transmission fluid on mine. Have the burns on my hand to prove it lol. My fluid level was spot on. I don't notice the start up shudder after I set my pinion angle to 5.2*. I do still have the 1500rpm vibration which occurs each upshift or downshift as the rpm's pass thru 1500. I think many owners are calling that start up shudder. It's better in sport mode but I don't like cruising at 2700 rpm. The trans needs a major recalibration by Ford. Whoever tuned it to upshift so early and lug at low rpms like it does needs to go back to the drawing board. Reason why many guys say these issues get much better after an aftermarket or Ford racing tune.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
I checked the transmission fluid on mine. Have the burns on my hand to prove it lol. My fluid level was spot on. I don't notice the start up shudder after I set my pinion angle to 5.2*. I do still have the 1500rpm vibration which occurs each upshift or downshift as the rpm's pass thru 1500. I think many owners are calling that start up shudder. It's better in sport mode but I don't like cruising at 2700 rpm. The trans needs a major recalibration by Ford. Whoever tuned it to upshift so early and lug at low rpms like it does needs to go back to the drawing board. Reason why many guys say these issues get much better after an aftermarket or Ford racing tune.
Sounds like we'll have to visit you in Wisconsin to get the TSB done properly :beer:

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Whoever tuned it to upshift so early and lug at low rpms like it does needs to go back to the drawing board. Reason why many guys say these issues get much better after an aftermarket or Ford racing tune.
Putting it into "tow" mode via the button on the console is a great solution for this problem. I often do that for city driving and it shifts perfectly.

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Putting it into "tow" mode via the button on the console is a great solution for this problem. I often do that for city driving and it shifts perfectly.
I have done that for a couple of days now and that makes all the difference. Smooth shifts and the RPMs are held above 1500 RPM. Starting a long trip tomorrow and will use the Tow mode in town, normal shifting on the highways.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A few thoughts on the start up shudder concern. I'm a 27 year Ford/Lincoln technician. Recently purchased a new 2021 Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 FX4. Noticed it had slight shudder I guess you could say starting from a stop. It also has a higher frequency vibration and drone at 1500rpm most noticeable on decel around 30mph but happens on downshifts at any speed around 1500rpm.

Now having driven many trucks I kind of chalked it up to normal truck-isms. But coming across this TSB, got me interested if there were any improvement to be had. I did notice putting 200lbs of weight in the bed was enough to make a noticeable improvement in the start up shudder. I measured the pinion angle per the TSB and found mine to be 5.7*. Right in Fords spec of 5-6*. Adding weight to the rear I found the pinion angle to decrease slightly to 5.5*. So assuming a slight decrease would help, I ordered and installed the shims per the TSB. I installed the 0.5* shims as an attempt to get my pinion angle to 5.2* which Ford has as the optimal setting. I did achieve a perfect 5.2* after installing the 0.5* shims. And did achieve a marked improvement.

Is the truck smooth as glass? No, but it is better than where I started. It had no effect on the 1500rpm vibration which I feel is more engine or transmission related. I have read that a tune may help and noticed the problem is reduced in sport mode where the truck is rarely at 1500rpm.

After installing this TSB kit, I can see how dealer techs may struggle some. The directions are contradictory. Getting an accurate measurement to work from can be tricky. I see guys using these magnetic angle gauges incorrectly. The tool needs to be flush on the yoke flange or your reading could be off .5* easily. As long as you are using the gauge correctly you should be able to verify you did the adjustment correctly by remeasuring after the adjustments were made.

Lastly by reading some of the posts in this thread, I'm not convinced all the complaints are about the start up shudder. These trucks have other vibrations, sensations unrelated to to pinion angle or driveshaft induced vibration.
Did new u-bolts come with the TSB kit? The reason I ask is the u-bolts that were used with the TSB are longer than what was originally on the truck. The tech left the original flats shims, two on the left and one on the right, and added the angle shims. The tech writer told me the TSB says to do that but it is not what the TSB states.

It appears if they took out the flat shim on the right and replaced it with the angle shim there may not be enough threads left on the u-bolt. I have not tried to remove the flat shim to test but I did measure the threaded portion.
20201124_124813.jpg

Last edited:

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I finally got my Ranger in to the dealer yesterday. When I first contacted them on 5/13, the attached list was a bit shorter. I'm pretty concerned that they won't be able to fix any of the issues and the long-term durability of the truck is not going to be good but we'll see. Best case scenario they fix it and it lasts 200k miles, worst case is lemon law and I buy a Maverick or maybe a Bronco assuming it doesn't have the same problems. I'll keep it updated.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I only occasionally experience the shudder when taking off from a stop in the first gear, but it's there and I can consistently make it occur with the amount of throttle application.

Once I attach my trailer ~7klbs, It will shudder in the first 3 goddamn gears. And I have airbags to alleviate the squat.

I need to sort out the easy button to remedy this myself - don't have time for dealerships and the ones in WA are so awful - they're why I bought my truck from a dealer in TX and had it shipped here.

Milkmaster

First Name
Milkmaster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
My Ranger vibrates a great deal and enough I have been spending the effort to figure it out. I was beneath my Ranger this weekend looking at the rear end drive train. Man the light springs holding the rear axle let the rear end flex so easy. I was getting groceries out and noticed how just a ten pound bag of sugar on the tailgate made the truck drop about an inch. I did a little test as well. I watched the rear end try to move with the emergency brake on fully. My wife would put it in gear and add just a slight amount of accelerator pedal while I watched. No wonder it shudders when you take off after what I saw. The rear end springs are so light the axle will turn a surprisingly amount thereby making the U joint oscillate. I know all rear drive vehicles flex a little, but I haven't seen any vehicle in my 62 years flex this amount just putting it in gear and slightly applying a little power. I checked and no leaf springs are broken. I wish I had a gopro or some sort of camera to set up and see it in action during normal driving acceleration.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My Ranger vibrates a great deal and enough I have been spending the effort to figure it out. I was beneath my Ranger this weekend looking at the rear end drive train. Man the light springs holding the rear axle let the rear end flex so easy. I was getting groceries out and noticed how just a ten pound bag of sugar on the tailgate made the truck drop about an inch. I did a little test as well. I watched the rear end try to move with the emergency brake on fully. My wife would put it in gear and add just a slight amount of accelerator pedal while I watched. No wonder it shudders when you take off after what I saw. The rear end springs are so light the axle will turn a surprisingly amount thereby making the U joint oscillate. I know all rear drive vehicles flex a little, but I haven't seen any vehicle in my 62 years flex this amount just putting it in gear and slightly applying a little power. I checked and no leaf springs are broken. I wish I had a gopro or some sort of camera to set up and see it in action during normal driving acceleration.
I met someone last year that had a 2011 or 2012 F-150 crewcab with V-6 Ecoboost that had a similar issue and became worse when trailering. Ford shimmed the rear axle angle, shimmed the center bearing, and reprogrammed the transmission to no avail. Ford issued a TSB which replaced the leaf springs with a multi-spring leaf pack which resolved the issue. He sold the truck shortly after that.

He mentioned he would have some severe axle windup with the original setup and temporarily resolved it with helper/overload springs but Ford told him it would void the warranty or make the truck ineligible for any TSB resolutions so he removed it before the TSB mentioned above.

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
I met someone last year that had a 2011 or 2012 F-150 crewcab with V-6 Ecoboost that had a similar issue and became worse when trailering. Ford shimmed the rear axle angle, shimmed the center bearing, and reprogrammed the transmission to no avail. Ford issued a TSB which replaced the leaf springs with a multi-spring leaf pack which resolved the issue. He sold the truck shortly after that.

He mentioned he would have some severe axle windup with the original setup and temporarily resolved it with helper/overload springs but Ford told him it would void the warranty or make the truck ineligible for any TSB resolutions so he removed it before the TSB mentioned above.
I had the TSB done it helped some but after I shimmed the center bearing 3/4 of an inch it is finally gone..

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had the TSB done it helped some but after I shimmed the center bearing 3/4 of an inch it is finally gone..
Is your suspension height stock level? What was your pinion angle after the TSB?