Highway vibration/shudder

zanger09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Shadow Black
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 2020 Ranger and I love everything about it, except......there’s what feels like a vibration/shudder between 70-75mph on the interstate and seems to occur under load and not while cruising. Seems to be right around 2,000rpm. I’ve seen the numerous threads regarding take off shudder, the tsb’s, etc. I’ve also seen where people say that everything gets smoother the more they drive it. The truck only has 1,500 miles so far and I’ve already had the tires balanced once with no change. For anyone who has experienced this, we’re you able to get it fixed and/or did it eventually just go away?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 2020 Ranger and I love everything about it, except......there’s what feels like a vibration/shudder between 70-75mph on the interstate and seems to occur under load and not while cruising. Seems to be right around 2,000rpm. I’ve seen the numerous threads regarding take off shudder, the tsb’s, etc. I’ve also seen where people say that everything gets smoother the more they drive it. The truck only has 1,500 miles so far and I’ve already had the tires balanced once with no change. For anyone who has experienced this, we’re you able to get it fixed and/or did it eventually just go away?
Hi Z,

Any mods?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Z,

Okay....need to determine the frequency of the vibration, but here is something to help. When traveling at 70-75mph, change gears to raise engine rpm while maintaining road speed by downshifting to 7th gear. Does it still Vibrate? If so, then it is not engine induced but somewhere in the driveline/rear axle/wheels-Tires.

The dealers have NVH equipment now days to determine the order of the vibration and its frequency and will help pinpoint the source pretty well. If it is Engine related at least they do not have to drive it on the highway to measure what is the excitation source. If wheel-tire the frequency will be lower by the axle ration. 2000rpm is in 10th gear?.....hold speed and put it in 7th which I recall is 1.1 Did the vibration continue at 70-75mph. What was the Rpm? Should be close to 3145 rpm which is also just a tick over 52HZ. for the driveline and about 14HZ for the wheel tire. The tech's NVH meter should be able to id that....

Good luck!
Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I have ran into a few things that could cause this. Number one which is still coming from the factory is wheel balance being out of balance because sometimes they're just not balanced correctly. One other thing that can cause this even with no aftermarket things put on the truck is helping out of adjustment just enough to wear when you get in the truck so it's going to be out instead of even or in causing the wheels to fight each other and give you a shake in the steering wheel. I had this happen on my truck after I installed a lift kit.

Hope this helps

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have ran into a few things that could cause this. Number one which is still coming from the factory is wheel balance being out of balance because sometimes they're just not balanced correctly. One other thing that can cause this even with no aftermarket things put on the truck is helping out of adjustment just enough to wear when you get in the truck so it's going to be out instead of even or in causing the wheels to fight each other and give you a shake in the steering wheel. I had this happen on my truck after I installed a lift kit.

Hope this helps
Hi Chis,

Good suggestions...Also....Check the tire pressures!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

zanger09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel like the alignment is good on the highway. It tracks straight and I don’t feel I’m having to over correct. Is it still possible that the alignment is off enough to cause the vibration? Almost feels like a washboard when it is happening.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like the alignment is good on the highway. It tracks straight and I don’t feel I’m having to over correct. Is it still possible that the alignment is off enough to cause the vibration? Almost feels like a washboard when it is happening.
Hi Z,

If you are describing a wash board...then you are likely facing a tire related induced vibration.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It may drive strait without correction just fine but it is still possible for toe to be out just by enough. Something to remember is between Camber, Caster and Toe is Toes will not cause a vehicle to pull in any direction but it can cause a vibration in the right scenario.

OP
OP

zanger09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@P. A. Schilke Tried doing what you recommend. Still had the vibration in 7th when it was happening. Weird thing is that the vibration seems to come and go at 75mph. I’m really hoping it’s just a wheel/tire imbalance but I’ve already had them balanced once so I guess I’ll try again.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@P. A. Schilke Tried doing what you recommend. Still had the vibration in 7th when it was happening. Weird thing is that the vibration seems to come and go at 75mph. I’m really hoping it’s just a wheel/tire imbalance but I’ve already had them balanced once so I guess I’ll try again.
Hi Z,

It is looking like being driveline/wheels/tires....Tires are likely the first step...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
I noticed a significant vibration at 80 mph yesterday. It was enough to slow down. I don't usually go that fast so I'm hoping it's just a tire out of balance. I've had new Pirelli Scorpions on for about 4k and haven't noticed it before. I checked tire pressure and they were fine but I bumped them up to 35 cold. I went back out on highway 5. I started feeling a slight vibration at about 76. At 80 it's not something I want to continue.
I'll be checking on tire balance tomorrow.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Problem solved. I went back to the tire store for rebalance and rotation. The rear tires were each out 1.5 ozs and the left front was out 2 ozs. I drove it on 5 up to 85 mph and the vibration was gone.
Sponsored