First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
My Ranger vibrates a great deal and enough I have been spending the effort to figure it out. I was beneath my Ranger this weekend looking at the rear end drive train. Man the light springs holding the rear axle let the rear end flex so easy. I was getting groceries out and noticed how just a ten pound bag of sugar on the tailgate made the truck drop about an inch.
Not to doubt your observations, but after reading that a 10 pound bag of sugar lowered you truck an inch, I had to measure my FX4. I went out and measured the height of my tailgate with nothing in the bed of the truck. Then I sat my 175 pound butt on the edge of the tailgate. It dropped almost exactly 1 inch. So unless the FX4 springs are much stiffer than the 4X2 springs or my bathroom scale is way off, that was one heavy 10 pound bag of sugar. A 10 pound bag of sugar will bearly take the slack out of my tailgate cables.
Sponsored

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Not to doubt your observations, but after reading that a 10 pound bag of sugar lowered you truck an inch, I had to measure my FX4. I went out and measured the height of my tailgate with nothing in the bed of the truck. Then I sat my 175 pound butt on the edge of the tailgate. It dropped almost exactly 1 inch. So unless the FX4 springs are much stiffer than the 4X2 springs or my bathroom scale is way off, that was one heavy 10 pound bag of sugar. A 10 pound bag of sugar will bearly take the slack out of my tailgate cables.
Maybe it was one of those blivit bags. :)

Meangreen92lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Ford/Lincoln Technician
Yes new u-bolts came in the kit. There is only a 6mm shim on the left that gets removed. The new shims come in different thicknesses depending if you are installing them on the right or left. The left side is 6mm thick plus the taper they incorporate to change the pinion angle. The right is very thin with a taper.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes new u-bolts came in the kit. There is only a 6mm shim on the left that gets removed. The new shims come in different thicknesses depending if you are installing them on the right or left. The left side is 6mm thick plus the taper they incorporate to change the pinion angle. The right is very thin with a taper.
Did your truck have one existing flat shim on the right and two on the left? I've noticed not all Rangers have have an existing flat shim on the right.

Were the U-Bolts that came with the TSB longer than the U-Bolts than the original U-Bolts on the truck?

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I had the TSB done it helped some but after I shimmed the center bearing 3/4 of an inch it is finally gone..
I'm a bit knowledge and time limited but am very interested in giving this solution a shot. Is there a how-to or helpful info that shows me what I need or how to shim the center bearing?

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Well the dealer has given my truck a "clean bill of health". Totally ridiculous. I'm about to go up there and demonstrate the issues to the tech. We'll see where that goes. No one can drive a normal, non-vibration car and then get in mine and not think that something is seriously wrong with it. Such a joke.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well the dealer has given my truck a "clean bill of health". Totally ridiculous. I'm about to go up there and demonstrate the issues to the tech. We'll see where that goes. No one can drive a normal, non-vibration car and then get in mine and not think that something is seriously wrong with it. Such a joke.
I have been in your situation. I recommend two things, contact Ford customer care and get a case filed, and if cannot get support through your dealer go to another one. I had to do that but even after the TSB was done "properly" I still have a take off shudder. Luckily it is less severe.

I will be doing the next shimming myself but waiting on u-bolts which are on national backorder like everything else.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
How confident are all of you that Ford will find a fix for this shudder issue and then provide a program for fixing all product "in the field" ? I am hoping they will do that soon. My 2020 truck aggravates me more and more every time I drive it. I am so annoyed with the shudder and the inconsistent transmission shifting. I am surprised that Ford released this product with such a poor powertrain system. I have to believe they knew the issues before releasing it to production. If they didn't, someone needs to revamp their new product testing and evaluation program. I know everyone suggests we contact Ford Customer Care with the problems. I have done that and all they do is "dump" the problem back on the dealer. Hell, the dealer can't fix their design issues. When I talked to my dealer, he asks me what I want him do. He has already done the TSB for shudder two times and it didn't fix a thing. I will keep driving mine hoping for devine intervention. Lol.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
How confident are all of you that Ford will find a fix for this shudder issue and then provide a program for fixing all product "in the field" ? I am hoping they will do that soon. My 2020 truck aggravates me more and more every time I drive it. I am so annoyed with the shudder and the inconsistent transmission shifting. I am surprised that Ford released this product with such a poor powertrain system. I have to believe they knew the issues before releasing it to production. If they didn't, someone needs to revamp their new product testing and evaluation program. I know everyone suggests we contact Ford Customer Care with the problems. I have done that and all they do is "dump" the problem back on the dealer. Hell, the dealer can't fix their design issues. When I talked to my dealer, he asks me what I want him do. He has already done the TSB for shudder two times and it didn't fix a thing. I will keep driving mine hoping for devine intervention. Lol.
I am not confident they will provide a solution. I am trying to do the shimming myself when I get all the parts. I have tried the center bearing shimming but it seems to move the problem to a different speed. My pinion angle is around 4.5° which seems to have slipped from when it was last done in November which supposedly was 5.2°. I have re-torqued the u-bolts.

I am wondering about the Tremor driveshaft which has a CV joint instead of a universal joint at the farthest position. I would even buy one myself if I knew it would fix the shudder but they are backordered as well. I spoke with my local dealership and they said until Ford authorizes the swap they couldn't do anything.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Fixing all product In the field? According to the poll above 79.2% don’t have any problem at all.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Fixing all product In the field? According to the poll above 79.2% don’t have any problem at all.
A 20% rate of people having an issue of some sort is not negligible... it's a real problem.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Imagine if 20% of people bought a canned food product from the store, when consumed it made them shit their pants within an hour of consuming it. I mean like explosive uncontrollable diarrhea.

20% doesn't sound so little anymore does it?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
If you go by this poll it’s 28 people. Not saying it’s not a issue just saying Ford is probably not too interested considering the numbers.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
but...how accurate is that 20% in identifying their problem?
there comes a point when you convince yourself of an issue even if you dont have it, or its something else. Alot of these people arent experts.
you cant take that 20% of a forum poll as gospel....
HI RP,

Yep...you get trapped in the small sample size game. There were enough complaints generated, some from my plea to forum members to open up formal complaints with Ford Customer Care that a TSB was issued which meant that Ford Truck Engineering had to develop a "fix". Unfortuately this fix was not a cure all, but from experience there are very few cure alls...mostly cure mostly.

There are over 10,000 forum members and the problem percentage is much smaller than 20%.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored