First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 (stock)
Occupation
Cardiovascular ICU RN
I was just talking with my wife about the shudder with my Ranger and I see your remedy. The more I drive mine the more I think about moving on. Did you trade your Ranger on the Ram? I have been living with mine since September of last year.
I was planning on just living with it, but it just pissed me off every time I drove it. Plus the transmission was a little too clunky around town. Everything else about the truck was great.

I did trade for the Ram. Carvana offered 37,175 with my 5k miles on the Ranger. I paid 38,000 out the door for it new. So that got me looking around, and here I am.

My brother’s had 3 Ram Hemis and drove them all to ~300k before selling with only changing fuel pumps and adding oil (they all burn ~1 quart/10k miles once they’re over about 200k). He knows all their quirks. It’s bigger than I need, and definitely feels it compared to the ranger. But I love it. I feel better about the Hemi than I do a small turbo engine for longevity (keyword “feel”). It’s got the etorque mild hybrid system, auto stop/starts are completely imperceptible and it pushes it to 22 avg mpg if I really try, and it is a 4x4.
Sponsored

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
I was planning on just living with it, but it just pissed me off every time I drove it. Plus the transmission was a little too clunky around town. Everything else about the truck was great.

I did trade for the Ram. Carvana offered 37,175 with my 5k miles on the Ranger. I paid 38,000 out the door for it new. So that got me looking around, and here I am.

My brother’s had 3 Ram Hemis and drove them all to ~300k before selling with only changing fuel pumps and adding oil (they all burn ~1 quart/10k miles once they’re over about 200k). He knows all their quirks. It’s bigger than I need, and definitely feels it compared to the ranger. But I love it. I feel better about the Hemi than I do a small turbo engine for longevity (keyword “feel”). It’s got the etorque mild hybrid system, auto stop/starts are completely imperceptible and it pushes it to 22 avg mpg if I really try, and it is a 4x4.
I've gotten very tired of the shudder too. I've started checking out other trucks. I considered going to a shop that specializes in drivelines to get the damn thing fixed. As soon as the see it is a new truck completely stock they are hesitant to touch it.

20lariat4x4

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cardiovascular ICU RN
I've gotten very tired of the shudder too. I've started checking out other trucks. I considered going to a shop that specializes in drivelines to get the damn thing fixed. As soon as the see it is a new truck completely stock they are hesitant to touch it.
Measure your operating angles. Follow the rules of no operating angle greater than 3, and adjacent operating angles less than 1 degree apart. I’m theory, that SHOULD provide the solution. I got mine close, see my previous post about needing to adjust the angle of the trans itself.

Or go shopping like I did and keep a warranty and peace of mind lol.

20lariat4x4

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cardiovascular ICU RN
Measure your operating angles. Follow the rules of no operating angle greater than 3, and adjacent operating angles less than 1 degree apart. I’m theory, that SHOULD provide the solution. I got mine close, see my previous post about needing to adjust the angle of the trans itself.

Or go shopping like I did and keep a warranty and peace of mind lol.
Or… get a Ford tech to measure your operating angles and report to Ford Cust service. That was going to be my next move. A quantifiable proof that it’s out of spec so they’ll have to do something.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Or… get a Ford tech to measure your operating angles and report to Ford Cust service. That was going to be my next move. A quantifiable proof that it’s out of spec so they’ll have to do something.
I've been through that whole process starting in September just after i bought my Ranger with tsb being done three times with the last at a different dealer. I was pretty active on this thread with the details. I'm just tired now. I do a ton of stop and go on my commute and just want smooth.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Does yours have the shudder?
Actually it does but so slight I don’t think about it. With a 100 lbs in the bed it’s gone.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I've succumbed. I called my dealer today to facilitate warranty repair for this issue, among others. I'll update the thread with our findings, good or bad. I adore the truck so I'm hopeful a resolution comes forth.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Actually it does but so slight I don’t think about it. With a 100 lbs in the bed it’s gone.
I put a 70lb sand tube bag in the middle of the bed length-wise. The shudder is tamed quite a bit. Thanks for the info.

Skoth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Update on my 2021: After a 700 mile road trip (odometer now 1800mi) that included off roading on hard, rocky terrain, my shudder has suddenly reduced by about 50% on its own. If it stays like this I'm not even gonna bother taking it to the dealer like I was planning on doing.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I put a 70lb sand tube bag in the middle of the bed length-wise. The shudder is tamed quite a bit. Thanks for the info.
Sandbag solution was short lived. Temps hit the low 80's and it seems the warmer it is the shudder is more pronounced. Sick of this crap.

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I have to wonder if a class action suit is the answer.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have to wonder if a class action suit is the answer.
In my opinion they take a few years to see any results and don't always get the problem fixed. Sometime they only provide limited compensation for any out of pocket expenses towards repairs.

I was notified of the results of a class action suit regarding a 2010 Audi A4 that had an excessive oil burning issue about two years after I got rid of it. The mandate forced Audi to replace pistons and rings on affected engines. They dodged the issue for on 2009 and 2010 2.0 turbo engines for quite a while.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
Sandbag solution was short lived. Temps hit the low 80's and it seems the warmer it is the shudder is more pronounced. Sick of this crap.
I am tired of it as well. Mine shutters about 99% of the time. I have had the TSB done twice with little improvement. My shudder severity varies all the time. As the amount of fuel on board changes, so does the shudder. When it is cold outside, the shudder is sometimes worse. In other words, it varies all over the place depending on conditions. The TSB cannot be the fix. I am not a mechanical engineer, but it seems as the load changes, so does the driveshaft angle. So, what good is it to make the angle something specific and then have varying load conditions that change that angle?

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am tired of it as well. Mine shutters about 99% of the time. I have had the TSB done twice with little improvement. My shudder severity varies all the time. As the amount of fuel on board changes, so does the shudder. When it is cold outside, the shudder is sometimes worse. In other words, it varies all over the place depending on conditions. The TSB cannot be the fix. I am not a mechanical engineer, but it seems as the load changes, so does the driveshaft angle. So, what good is it to make the angle something specific and then have varying load conditions that change that angle?
I was also getting the dreaded clunk when stopping and starting recently, I don't use auto stop. The hotter the worse it got. Saw another thread regarding driveshaft slip joint lubrication. Didn't feel like dealing with the dealership bullshit so I did it myself. That is all good now but the shudder still remains.

I wonder what the difference is from the trucks that don't have the shudder. I have driven three 2020 Rangers including mine and they all have the shudder to some degree.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
I was also getting the dreaded clunk when stopping and starting recently, I don't use auto stop. The hotter the worse it got. Saw another thread regarding driveshaft slip joint lubrication. Didn't feel like dealing with the dealership bullshit so I did it myself. That is all good now but the shudder still remains.

I wonder what the difference is from the trucks that don't have the shudder. I have driven three 2020 Rangers including mine and they all have the shudder to some degree.
Sponsored