First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I had this vib early on. (Before and after adding Eibach’s coil overs to level it.)
The dealer won’t do the TSB because of the lift.
Im at 24k miles and don’t have the vib that I noticed between 1500-2500 rpm when I first bought it.

I added a tune but still had it but not nearly as noticeable. My truck is very smooth now with the added miles. I did pick up a vib at 80mph but that was after a wheel rotation.
I can’t tell you specifically what changed but adding miles seemed to help.
I also did another thing recently by taking the main spring out of my GFB DV+ and I read something on here which involved turning on the power without starting. Mash the gas pedal down for a minute. Turn the power off, wait two minutes and start. WTF that does exactly I don’t know.

Ive always felt the vib was due to transmission programming and the computer hunting for the ideal shift point and failing, sport mode helped mine in the beginning.

Something else that bugs me was mentioned earlier. If you go bouncing off-road or load your truck down with a trailer that too changes the driveshaft angle. This angle is always changing isn’t it?
I’ll cut my rant off by saying the Tremor’s terraflex joint may be a good fix but it is sad Ford hasn’t addressed this with a recall.
Sponsored

jamo147

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
So I had TSB 20-2277 done and it fixed 80% of the shudder problem. I know that if I lower the rear ride height by 1”, the shudder goes away but they can’t do that without voiding my warranty. Any thoughts on if a 1.5” level at the front would effectively do the same thing as lowering the rear (driveline angle wise)? Also for those that don’t know, there’s an updated TSB 21-2136 for start up shudder but they said kit is the same.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
So I had TSB 20-2277 done and it fixed 80% of the shudder problem. I know that if I lower the rear ride height by 1”, the shudder goes away but they can’t do that without voiding my warranty. Any thoughts on if a 1.5” level at the front would effectively do the same thing as lowering the rear (driveline angle wise)? Also for those that don’t know, there’s an updated TSB 21-2136 for start up shudder but they said kit is the same.
Were you able to get a copy of the new TSB document?
How would you lower the rear end by an inch? There is not that thickness of shims between the axle and leaf springs.

jamo147

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Were you able to get a copy of the new TSB document?
How would you lower the rear end by an inch? There is not that thickness of shims between the axle and leaf springs.
Couldn’t find, seems too new. But that’s the updated TSB they mentioned on my invoice.

Not sure how to lower the rear… I did it by putting 500 lbs in the bed and that lowered rear by 1”… shudder disappeared. Dealer said the only way would be to reform springs but that would be an aftermarket thing and may void warranty too. That’s why I was thinking leveling… to potentially adjust pinion angle from front and give room for bigger tires?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Couldn’t find, seems too new. But that’s the updated TSB they mentioned on my invoice.

Not sure how to lower the rear… I did it by putting 500 lbs in the bed and that lowered rear by 1”… shudder disappeared. Dealer said the only way would be to reform springs but that would be an aftermarket thing and may void warranty too. That’s why I was thinking leveling… to potentially adjust pinion angle from front and give room for bigger tires?
Hi Jim,

Find another dealer....this one is feeding your shit...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

jamo147

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Jim,

Find another dealer....this one is feeding your shit...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil, I take it there is a way to lower the rear ride height w/o voiding warranty? At this point probably wouldn’t have to lower rear too much because the TSB adjusted angle to some extent. They also suggested putting in a Ford cust service complaint.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Thanks Phil, I take it there is a way to lower the rear ride height w/o voiding warranty? At this point probably wouldn’t have to lower rear too much because the TSB adjusted angle to some extent. They also suggested putting in a Ford cust service complaint.
Depends what you mean by voiding your warranty. They have to prove that any modification you make to the vehicle caused the failure of whatever part they want to deny a warranty claim for. It’s the law and has been for a long time. Ford dealers do seem pretty clueless on this. They better wake up before putting a ton of Broncos out there and trying to “void” people’s warranties for lift kits and driving through puddles and such.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Jim,

I agree with putting in a Ford Customer Care Complaint. We really need to force Ford Service Engineers to take the next step on vehicles that the shimming does not help

NOW...I am finding that many complaints are not really start up shudder at all The folks see, Vibration and Viola....my fix. Does not work that way. Start up shudder is very short lived....vibrations beyond this short lived phenomenon is not start up shudder. More than likely it is tire/wheel, but the dealer tech equipment should sort this out.

Folks have to stop trying to find the magic bullet. Very few exist. The term is diagnostic prowess. Focus on what the info contained in the data the tech generates should be the guiding factor...

jamo147

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Jim,

I agree with putting in a Ford Customer Care Complaint. We really need to force Ford Service Engineers to take the next step on vehicles that the shimming does not help

NOW...I am finding that many complaints are not really start up shudder at all The folks see, Vibration and Viola....my fix. Does not work that way. Start up shudder is very short lived....vibrations beyond this short lived phenomenon is not start up shudder. More than likely it is tire/wheel, but the dealer tech equipment should sort this out.

Folks have to stop trying to find the magic bullet. Very few exist. The term is diagnostic prowess. Focus on what the info contained in the data the tech generates should be the guiding factor...
Thanks, yes the shudder is very transitory, right at start from dead stop. As I mentioned in a prior post, I had loaded my truck with 500+ weight a left for a week. While loaded no shudder at all. Once unloaded, came back so the resultant pinion angle from that lowered height was a sweet spot. Interestingly, that loaded bed for a week must have permanently deformed my springs because shudder was noticeably less than previously. I went to dealer with that info and they did TSB. It helped and now shudder is much less pronounced but I can only guess that it didn’t adjust angle enough. I saw that the lowered height had resolve the issue so there’s a fix… just gotta get there. Part of me wonders if I load the rear again with 1000 lbs and leave for a week, will it deform enough to lower height 1/2” ?. Might be wishful thinking because I would that’d be enough to plasticly deform but it happened once.

Last edited:

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Jim,

Phil, I am agreement about the shudder and and what is not shudder.

My personal experience with the take off shudder is it is not engine rpm specific, it is load and speed specific. I do not completely agree is it transitory as I have a good part of my work commute where for about five miles on the Harlem River Drive I encounter severe stop and go which could take up to 45 minutes to travel that distance. I am in an out of the shudder zone constantly and also at the speed when it occurs in continuous periods. During the continuous periods the shudder will happen and not cease until I am above or below the shudder speed. It will occur regardless of transmission gear, usually 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. The shudder is less intense when I am driving at that continuous speed but it feels like I am driving over ripples in the road.

Outside the shudder zone my truck is free of vibrations from the driveline other than typical 4 cylinder engine tendencies. What I have noticed is with my truck is the ride quality is highly affected by the tire pressure. I set my tires (265/60-18) for 30 psi when it is the coolest in the morning which lately has been around 50-55 degrees and the ride is smooth for a truck. In the evening it could be 85 to 90 degrees and the ride feels something like the Flintstones car and the TPMS indicates the tires are around 35-37 psi hot. My gauge and TPMS pressures are pretty close in comparison.

When I experienced the driveline clunking on stop and go recently I lubed the driveshaft slip joint. It resolved the clunk and a secondary effect was a much smoother driveline at all speeds.

I am very curious to see if Ford find the Tremor driveshaft with CV joint is a possible solution. I have had the TSB 20-2277 applied to my truck, I won't regurgitate the details on that but the third time it was done correctly and the shudder remains.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Depends what you mean by voiding your warranty. They have to prove that any modification you make to the vehicle caused the failure of whatever part they want to deny a warranty claim for. It’s the law and has been for a long time. Ford dealers do seem pretty clueless on this. They better wake up before putting a ton of Broncos out there and trying to “void” people’s warranties for lift kits and driving through puddles and such.
The Bronco has a completely different rear end design. No leaf springs. This is similar to the design that is floating around for the 6th generation Ranger. Dodge RAM 1500 has had this coil spring style rear end for a few years. Smooth and no axle wrap.

Bronco_parts_03rs.jpg

Meangreen92lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Ford/Lincoln Technician
A few thoughts on the start up shudder concern. I'm a 27 year Ford/Lincoln technician. Recently purchased a new 2021 Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 FX4. Noticed it had slight shudder I guess you could say starting from a stop. It also has a higher frequency vibration and drone at 1500rpm most noticeable on decel around 30mph but happens on downshifts at any speed around 1500rpm.

Now having driven many trucks I kind of chalked it up to normal truck-isms. But coming across this TSB, got me interested if there were any improvement to be had. I did notice putting 200lbs of weight in the bed was enough to make a noticeable improvement in the start up shudder. I measured the pinion angle per the TSB and found mine to be 5.7*. Right in Fords spec of 5-6*. Adding weight to the rear I found the pinion angle to decrease slightly to 5.5*. So assuming a slight decrease would help, I ordered and installed the shims per the TSB. I installed the 0.5* shims as an attempt to get my pinion angle to 5.2* which Ford has as the optimal setting. I did achieve a perfect 5.2* after installing the 0.5* shims. And did achieve a marked improvement.

Is the truck smooth as glass? No, but it is better than where I started. It had no effect on the 1500rpm vibration which I feel is more engine or transmission related. I have read that a tune may help and noticed the problem is reduced in sport mode where the truck is rarely at 1500rpm.

After installing this TSB kit, I can see how dealer techs may struggle some. The directions are contradictory. Getting an accurate measurement to work from can be tricky. I see guys using these magnetic angle gauges incorrectly. The tool needs to be flush on the yoke flange or your reading could be off .5* easily. As long as you are using the gauge correctly you should be able to verify you did the adjustment correctly by remeasuring after the adjustments were made.

Lastly by reading some of the posts in this thread, I'm not convinced all the complaints are about the start up shudder. These trucks have other vibrations, sensations unrelated to to pinion angle or driveshaft induced vibration.

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
A few thoughts on the start up shudder concern. I'm a 27 year Ford/Lincoln technician. Recently purchased a new 2021 Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 FX4. Noticed it had slight shudder I guess you could say starting from a stop. It also has a higher frequency vibration and drone at 1500rpm most noticeable on decel around 30mph but happens on downshifts at any speed around 1500rpm.

Now having driven many trucks I kind of chalked it up to normal truck-isms. But coming across this TSB, got me interested if there were any improvement to be had. I did notice putting 200lbs of weight in the bed was enough to make a noticeable improvement in the start up shudder. I measured the pinion angle per the TSB and found mine to be 5.7*. Right in Fords spec of 5-6*. Adding weight to the rear I found the pinion angle to decrease slightly to 5.5*. So assuming a slight decrease would help, I ordered and installed the shims per the TSB. I installed the 0.5* shims as an attempt to get my pinion angle to 5.2* which Ford has as the optimal setting. I did achieve a perfect 5.2* after installing the 0.5* shims. And did achieve a marked improvement.

Is the truck smooth as glass? No, but it is better than where I started. It had no effect on the 1500rpm vibration which I feel is more engine or transmission related. I have read that a tune may help and noticed the problem is reduced in sport mode where the truck is rarely at 1500rpm.

After installing this TSB kit, I can see how dealer techs may struggle some. The directions are contradictory. Getting an accurate measurement to work from can be tricky. I see guys using these magnetic angle gauges incorrectly. The tool needs to be flush on the yoke flange or your reading could be off .5* easily. As long as you are using the gauge correctly you should be able to verify you did the adjustment correctly by remeasuring after the adjustments were made.

Lastly by reading some of the posts in this thread, I'm not convinced all the complaints are about the start up shudder. These trucks have other vibrations, sensations unrelated to to pinion angle or driveshaft induced vibration.
I know you have read most of the comments, probably including mine. My question is, what are the chances that there is a transmission fluid level issue in either the transmission or the torque converter? Ford has made it damned near impossible for owners to check the level in the transmission, and there is absolutely no way we can check the fill on the torque converter. My dealer is made it quite clear that they are monumentally disinterested in resolving any issues in my truck, which they claim is nothing more than a 'herky jerky 10 speed". The shop foreman ordered the TSB done, but when I checked, they did it wrong and all it did was change slightly the speed at which I felt the shudder upon accel from zero. When the shaking and bucking gets too far out of hand, I use sport mode and keep the RPMS above 1500, which I have also identified as the 'sweet spot' for the bucking. But I have noticed that I also have, on occasion, the same shaking at 70. It could be a tire imbalance. I am not a fan of Hankook tires, second set I have owned, and they have a high amount of road noise, but I believe I would feel an imbalance vibration at different speeds. With less than 19K miles, I am not ready to spend the money on a new set of tires, yet. Please let us know what you find as you work the problem.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
I know you have read most of the comments, probably including mine. My question is, what are the chances that there is a transmission fluid level issue in either the transmission or the torque converter? Ford has made it damned near impossible for owners to check the level in the transmission, and there is absolutely no way we can check the fill on the torque converter. My dealer is made it quite clear that they are monumentally disinterested in resolving any issues in my truck, which they claim is nothing more than a 'herky jerky 10 speed". The shop foreman ordered the TSB done, but when I checked, they did it wrong and all it did was change slightly the speed at which I felt the shudder upon accel from zero. When the shaking and bucking gets too far out of hand, I use sport mode and keep the RPMS above 1500, which I have also identified as the 'sweet spot' for the bucking. But I have noticed that I also have, on occasion, the same shaking at 70. It could be a tire imbalance. I am not a fan of Hankook tires, second set I have owned, and they have a high amount of road noise, but I believe I would feel an imbalance vibration at different speeds. With less than 19K miles, I am not ready to spend the money on a new set of tires, yet. Please let us know what you find as you work the problem.
I don't think Ford has identified the problem. If they have, it must not be cost effective to fix all of the trucks in the field that are experiencing the problem. I just keep my fingers crossed they will put a fix out before I get annoyed enough to get rid of mine. I believe your thought on fluid levels contributiing to the shudder/jerky shifting as my truck is so much better when it is warmed up.

Opusnbill7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I"ve wondered the same thing. I know the TSB shouldn't apply, as I have a 2021 made in February (so you would have to think the factory calibrations would be up to date).

Mine only bucks and jerks when it's cold. Once the truck has been driven a few miles it's great. Really odd.
Sponsored