Trucks w/o Tow Package?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
What hitch is this? Do you have a link? I like the tubular construction.
Factory. It's bolted in like 10 places to the bumper, so my guess is you "might" be able to source just the hitch, and bolt it to the existing bumper. I have not seen a truck without the hitch to know if the bumper has bolts in the right spot for the OEM hitch.
Sponsored

Pluto

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
The dumb part
Factory. It's bolted in like 10 places to the bumper, so my guess is you "might" be able to source just the hitch, and bolt it to the existing bumper. I have not seen a truck without the hitch to know if the bumper has bolts in the right spot for the OEM hitch.
is, my truck has the entirety of the build of your design for the hitch, without the tubular insert for the receiver... it’s a waste of metal if you ask me to put the entire apparatus on there WITHOUT the receiver receptacle but that’s how Ford did it. Ugh

KnightRanger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2016 Harley FLSS,
Vehicle Showcase
I had the oem hitch added by Ford dealership months ago.

From my understanding, our 19 Ranger comes from the factory
already capable of towing with a bumper hitch (up to 3500 lbs?)
and most of us already have the 4 pin connector underneath the rear bumper.
The only other thing that was added afterwards was the trailer harness
and access for the 7/4 pins. (which was on Nationwide back order).

Anyway, afik, these 3 items: class iv hitch, 7/4 pin wiring harness and access cover for bumper,
is what comprises the Tow package for the Ranger.
I believe the oem radiator, engine, transmission is already tow rated from the factory?
(please correct me if I’m wrong)

3FB61842-3719-4D00-BB5C-46202A0B2644.jpeg

C94603FC-FAB2-4429-946F-A4576049711B.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
I had the oem hitch added by Ford dealership months ago.

From my understanding, our 19 Ranger comes from the factory
already capable of towing with a bumper hitch (up to 3500 lbs?)
and most of us already have the 4 pin connector underneath the rear bumper.
The only other thing that was added afterwards was the trailer harness
and access for the 7/4 pins. (which was on Nationwide back order).

Anyway, afik, these 3 items: class iv hitch, 7/4 pin wiring harness and access cover for bumper,
is what comprises the Tow package for the Ranger.
I believe the oem radiator, engine, transmission is already tow rated from the factory?
(please correct me if I’m wrong)

3FB61842-3719-4D00-BB5C-46202A0B2644.jpeg

C94603FC-FAB2-4429-946F-A4576049711B.jpeg
I just installed the Curt hitch. It attaches with the 4 bolts that hold the bumper assembly to the frame. I think they also sell a wiring adapter harness if you need it but I don't. It cost me about $130. Tow ratings are the same as the Ford hitch and it is well constructed. I never pull anything more than 3500lbs anyway but just mounting a ball on the bumper places it too high for most small trailers.

Gus Villalpando

First Name
Villalpando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew
has anyone added a tow hitch to their ranger? if so, was an OEM or aftermarket? OEM are about $350 aftermarket from carid I can get for $160 or so. any advise?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
has anyone added a tow hitch to their ranger? if so, was an OEM or aftermarket? OEM are about $350 aftermarket from carid I can get for $160 or so. any advise?
There are reports from people who have done both. In general the aftermarket works fine and is cheaper, and OEM looks a little nicer. On some vehicles the aftermarket is low enough to impact ground clearance, but that's not much of an issue on the ranger; the OEM is so high that needing a bit less receiver drop may actually be a feature.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I've had it for two weeks finally got to install it Curt hitch 13417. Had a electric impact and blue lock tight.
Ranger170.jpg

Tarawadet

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Hitch installed. The only issue is the 4 pin to 7 pin adapter is back ordered.

8DjZv7c.jpg
k7l9sRZ.jpg
79NkkeH.jpg
2rl37c9.jpg
Hi - How many bolts did they use to mount to the frame. I had one installed and the used four big bolts but it has holes for two more. Looks like they could have used 6 bolts to mount to the frame - how many did they use in your application?

Tarawadet

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
My ranger did not come with the tow package either. Dealer is adding the oem ford hitch and oem 4/7 wiring harness for the same price of the actual towing package.
For some reason very few of the trucks on the lot come equipped with the actual tow package it seems
Hi - Can you tell me how many bolts the dealer used to install the OEM hitch? A picture would be awesome. Thanks

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Awhile back a tow pkg also included a bigger battery, radiator and a trans cooler. I guess those upgrades are not needed anymore.
I asked about this and the only thing added is the hitch. In the past it included a Trans oil cooler but the Ranger must be beefed from stock.
Only issue it hitches are back ordered. Have waited a month now.

mlosi762

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Negotiated the tow package in the purchase of my truck, as it didn't come with one from the factory (like most...). Bought my truck on the 6th. Appointment for install was this past Monday, the 22nd. I was told from the start that they outsourced the installation to a local custom shop, which I was fine with. Dropped it off in the AM. Got the call to pick it up later in the day, glanced at the hitch, and home I went. It wasn't until yesterday evening that I went to install a hitch step bar, and noticed that something looked "off", the hitch receiver was slightly canted. Put in the hitch step, and it shows (and I confirmed the step bar was not malformed). Then I looked underneath and saw that a Draw-Tite, not the OEM tow package, was installed. And then noticed no 4/7pin connector either. Not sure where the disconnect was, but I'm a little irritated. I could have ordered this one myself, grabbed a buddy and a six pack, and had it knocked out in 15-20min... Going to politely raise some hell at the dealership and see what happens.

UPDATE: After a little contentious back and forth, and a threat that I would contact Ford Motor Company and let them know that a dealership was not being upfront about installing an aftermarket part, they agreed to get me what I wanted. Just kind of appalled that they did this in the first place. I've never seen any car dealership recommend anything but OEM parts, down to the damn oil filter.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
The OEM trailer tow hitch, 7500 LBS, is mounted to the frame with 6 bolts. 2 more should come with the hitch to add to the 4 on the standard bumper.

mransr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2000 Mustang GT Convertible

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4

mransr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2000 Mustang GT Convertible
FYI...I HIGHLY recommend Tasca Ford parts. I got the harness parts in about 3 weeks when most places said they were on "national backorder".

Now to install them and order a hitch (that I'll probably never use LOL)
Sponsored