Trailer tow package add-on question

Jabo3318

First Name
Trace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
I recently picked up a ranger, I live in oahu,Hawaii so ther isn't exactly alot of options as far as dealer stock. But I did find the exact truck and color I wanted with the exception of 1 thing. The factory tow package. But from what I've read there isnt any difference between a truck with or without it besides the hitch itself and the 4/7 pin connector. I was wondering if any of you guys might have a list and maybe even part numbers of everything I'd need to make it like it came from the factory with it. Also wondering if the non factory tow package trucks are pre wired for the trailer brake controllers. Thank you guys in advance. And here is a pic of my ranger.

20190505_083150.jpg
Sponsored

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
Hi Jabo3318!

Congratulations on your new Ranger!

Here is a thread that has all the details on the factory hitch retrofit,
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/trucks-w-o-tow-package.1712/page-4#post-28209

Yes the trailer brake wiring is in the driver's kickpanel but you'll have to add your own connector.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...or-aftermarket-brake-controller-install.1572/

Just want to also note that Curt (#13417) and Draw Tite (#76275) make bolt-on hitch receivers that are less expensive and easier to install than a factory hitch retrofit.

Washashore

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hi Jabo3318!

Congratulations on your new Ranger!

Here is a thread that has all the details on the factory hitch retrofit,
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/trucks-w-o-tow-package.1712/page-4#post-28209

Yes the trailer brake wiring is in the driver's kickpanel but you'll have to add your own connector.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...or-aftermarket-brake-controller-install.1572/

Just want to also note that Curt (#13417) and Draw Tite (#76275) make bolt-on hitch receivers that are less expensive and easier to install than a factory hitch retrofit.

Washashore

Forscan also has a menu option now to enable the factory tow hitch in the computer. Not sure what exactly it does, but there are some dash cluster options that might need to be tweaked for full operation.

Tyler

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I'd recommend going with the Curt hitch. Much easier to install, higher tongue rating, and about 1/3 of the cost. Aside from that, you just need the 7 pin connector and rear bumper wiring harness. Everything else in the truck is identical to one with the tow package.

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
I'd recommend going with the Curt hitch. Much easier to install, higher tongue rating, and about 1/3 of the cost. Aside from that, you just need the 7 pin connector and rear bumper wiring harness. Everything else in the truck is identical to one with the tow package.
Agreed.
I went with the Curt hitch and it was a 20 min job in my driveway.

Also note that the trailer functionality in the display is active whether or not you get the tow package, since all Rangers come with the 4 pin connector and the ability to tow up to 3500 lbs by adding a ball to the standard bumper The catch to this is that you don't have the ability to level your trailer, so its useless for many of us.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Agreed.
I went with the Curt hitch and it was a 20 min job in my driveway.

Also note that the trailer functionality in the display is active whether or not you get the tow package, since all Rangers come with the 4 pin connector and the ability to tow up to 3500 lbs by adding a ball to the standard bumper The catch to this is that you don't have the ability to level your trailer, so its useless for many of us.

Small utility trailers would look extremely comical pointed at the sky hooked to the stock bumper ball. I had to install a 5" drop to get mine close to level. I'm sure it's for small boats which are usually pretty tall anyways.

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
One correction to my earlier post.. XLTs and Lariats have the trailer settings screen standard to modify the BLIS distance and disable the rear parking sensors when the 7 or 4 pin is used. Not sure about the XL with its tiny screen and I believe BLIS being optional.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
But from what I've read there isnt any difference between a truck with or without it besides the hitch itself and the 4/7 pin connector.
Old thread.. but just to be clear in the event a prospective truck buyer is reading this thread, the rear bumper center section is different when your truck has the factory tow package.

It's modified to move the hitch receiver up higher, thus giving the truck a better rear approach angle.

Factory vs Aftermarket Hitch.jpg

Without Tow Package.JPG
With Tow Package.JPG

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Old thread.. but just to be clear in the event a prospective truck buyer is reading this thread, the rear bumper center section is different when your truck has the factory tow package.
If you buy the oem hitch that's one of the parts in the box. If you get an aftermarket hitch, they're pretty much always lower than oem (so they don't have to mess with the bumper).

TexasTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CC
Vehicle Showcase
This is exactly why I'm going with the factory retrofit. I don't want it looking like an after thought. Yes it costs more, it takes more effort to install it (I'm not in a hurry), but it's worth it to me.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Small utility trailers would look extremely comical pointed at the sky hooked to the stock bumper ball. I had to install a 5" drop to get mine close to level. I'm sure it's for small boats which are usually pretty tall anyways.
I've got a 5 inch drop too.

1660590850147.png
Sponsored