chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
Might or might not be relevant......
My Ranger with the tow package has the tow/haul switch located on the console, which when engaged, changes the shift parameters of the tranny when towing.
I'm very familiar as my E-450 based motor home has this feature, and it works beautifully.
But, does the Ranger without the tow package also come with this as standard, or is it part of the tow package ? You owners without the tow package....does your Ranger have that switch ? Switch on the lower left side that looks like a trailer.
If not, this might be relevant to those just adding a hitch and plug.

trailer button.jpg
I have the 2021 4x4 Lariat without the tow package and yes it has the tow mode switch.
Sponsored

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I'm going to go with aftermarket draw tite and install it myself. Too many dealers charging too much for labor. If I DIY it I'm only out $120 for the hitch and $120 for the harness/sleeve. All in still costs less than the factory hitch. From what I can gather there is no real benefit to the factory hitch other than 2-3 inches higher up which only affects approach angle and visual looks. Since I don't plan on doing any off roading I should be just fine with the aftermarket version.
I installed the aftermarket hitch and you barley if at all see hitch except of course the receiver.
IMHO, the factory bar is a waste of money.

IMG_20210806_131502325.jpg

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Might or might not be relevant......
My Ranger with the tow package has the tow/haul switch located on the console, which when engaged, changes the shift parameters of the tranny when towing.
I'm very familiar as my E-450 based motor home has this feature, and it works beautifully.
But, does the Ranger without the tow package also come with this as standard, or is it part of the tow package ? You owners without the tow package....does your Ranger have that switch ? Switch on the lower left side that looks like a trailer.
If not, this might be relevant to those just adding a hitch and plug.

trailer button.jpg
2019 XL without tow package, and I have the button.

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I installed the aftermarket hitch and you barley if at all see hitch except of course the receiver.
IMHO, the factory bar is a waste of money.

IMG_20210806_131502325.jpg
FYI, The bar you see on the far left is NOT the Hitch, but part of the bumper frame.

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL 4x4 Supercab
I just wanted to post an update to this for those looking to install the factory hitch. First off, the part number has changed to KB3Z-17D826-F .

This no longer includes the 2 extra bolts or the 2 trim pieces either side of the receiver (replaces one piece trim on bumper without hitch).

Here are the extra parts you need in addition to the hitch and the wiring harness.

W718875-S439​
Trailer Hitch Receiver Bolt HB4 NO LONGER INCLUDED WITH HITCH​
2​
KB3Z-17F774-A​
Lower Extension​
1​
KB3Z-17F774-B​
Lower Extension​
1​
-W711687-S300​
Retainer FOR EXTENSION​
4​

Overall a straightforward install. Getting the plastic trim off the old bumper was the hardest part and I broke a couple of the clips. Everything went back together well.

Last edited:

NCRANGER

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
For those looking to add the OEM hitch, I just purchased the Trailer Tow Kit Accessory (KB3Z-19D520-A). This kit includes the parts Simon mentioned above, and the bumper/tow hitch appears to be the same exact rating as the KB3Z-17D826-F. The kit cost ($278.46 from Tasca Parts) was less than the cost of the bumper/hitch alone ($488.01). Below is a photo of the rating label on the hitch.

IMG_2967.jpg

greenerthanyou

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Product Analyst
For those looking to add the OEM hitch, I just purchased the Trailer Tow Kit Accessory (KB3Z-19D520-A). This kit includes the parts Simon mentioned above, and the bumper/tow hitch appears to be the same exact rating as the KB3Z-17D826-F. The kit cost ($278.46 from Tasca Parts) was less than the cost of the bumper/hitch alone ($488.01). Below is a photo of the rating label on the hitch.

IMG_2967.jpg
Is it the same ~30 step install as the OEM hitch?

Not that it matters that much... I already ordered it ?

NCRANGER

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes. The installation instructions for the accessory tow package are the instructions that were posted. The actual install is not too bad. The 7 pin harness and connector are not included, and you’ll need those as well if you’re towing anything that requires a brake controller.

greenerthanyou

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Product Analyst
Yes. The installation instructions for the accessory tow package are the instructions that were posted. The actual install is not too bad. The 7 pin harness and connector are not included, and you’ll need those as well if you’re towing anything that requires a brake controller.
Thanks bro. Installed it today. I broke a ton of clips, just like everybody else. Besides knowing it's imperfect, it doesn't seem to matter too much.

I also had to bend some things to get bolts to line up. Not sure if anybody else had that problem...

To cut the hole for the 7 pin, I just melted it with an old soldering iron and good ventilation. I had to clean it up a little with a chisel to get the outer surface flat, but it was pretty quick.

PXL_20220828_163531513.jpg

NCRANGER

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Excellent job Kyle! Looks like the factory install. I believe that many are intimidated by the number of steps in the instructions, but it’s really easier than the instructions make it look. Glad it worked out for you.

BriGuy3030

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Union Ironworker Local 396
I had the oem hitch added by Ford dealership months ago.

From my understanding, our 19 Ranger comes from the factory
already capable of towing with a bumper hitch (up to 3500 lbs?)
and most of us already have the 4 pin connector underneath the rear bumper.
The only other thing that was added afterwards was the trailer harness
and access for the 7/4 pins. (which was on Nationwide back order).

Anyway, afik, these 3 items: class iv hitch, 7/4 pin wiring harness and access cover for bumper,
is what comprises the Tow package for the Ranger.
I believe the oem radiator, engine, transmission is already tow rated from the factory?
(please correct me if I’m wrong)

3FB61842-3719-4D00-BB5C-46202A0B2644.jpeg

C94603FC-FAB2-4429-946F-A4576049711B.jpeg
Is there any special advice/direction on mounting the OEM 7/4 pin receptacle in the designated factory outlined area? Is it simply a matter of scroll cutting out that oval punch-punch out, & clicking in the receptacle?

BriGuy3030

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Union Ironworker Local 396
Thanks bro. Installed it today. I broke a ton of clips, just like everybody else. Besides knowing it's imperfect, it doesn't seem to matter too much.

I also had to bend some things to get bolts to line up. Not sure if anybody else had that problem...

To cut the hole for the 7 pin, I just melted it with an old soldering iron and good ventilation. I had to clean it up a little with a chisel to get the outer surface flat, but it was pretty quick.

PXL_20220828_163531513.jpg
Does the 4/7 pin receptacle just “click-in” to the oval punch-out once that is cut out?

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager