Trucks w/o Tow Package?

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Just wearing out my mouse this morning looking at local inventory and I noticed a significant number of trucks on the lot w/o the tow package. I know this is obviously an option but I'm just curious why I'm seeing so many. Is this something the dealer is trying to add to the table during negotiations? Can the Ford receiver with 4/7 pin be added at the dealer or would it be slightly different? Just random musings as I do my best not to refresh the tracking site :computerrage:
Sponsored

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Just wearing out my mouse this morning looking at local inventory and I noticed a significant number of trucks on the lot w/o the tow package. I know this is obviously an option but I'm just curious why I'm seeing so many. Is this something the dealer is trying to add to the table during negotiations? Can the Ford receiver with 4/7 pin be added at the dealer or would it be slightly different? Just random musings as I do my best not to refresh the tracking site :computerrage:
I can't speak for the Ranger, but my Colorado did not come with the tow package. It was cheaper to add it on after the purchase. $90 for the 4/7, $130 for the Curt hitch

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
My ranger did not come with the tow package either. Dealer is adding the oem ford hitch and oem 4/7 wiring harness for the same price of the actual towing package.
For some reason very few of the trucks on the lot come equipped with the actual tow package it seems

OP
OP
FLEngineer

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
My ranger did not come with the tow package either. Dealer is adding the oem ford hitch and oem 4/7 wiring harness for the same price of the actual towing package.
For some reason very few of the trucks on the lot come equipped with the actual tow package it seems
Thanks, that's what I was wondering since there seems to be an outline for the 4/7 pin w/o tow package. I guess it's easy enough to cut out and add at the dealer.

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
I've noticed the same and it seemed odd. Most of the trucks I've looked at did not have the tow package. I also tow several times a week so it isn't an item I could wait for the dealer to get in.

Ford went a long way touting the tow abilities of the truck. Seems silly not to include the receiver and wiring as standard equipment. I know everyone hates on the Ridgeline but this is included on every model and the brake controller pigtail is in the glovebox ready to go.

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
Maybe the number is picking up. I just went and did an inventory search. Of the trucks that had real photos it did seem there are more showing up with the tow package.

I looked at about 30 trucks and maybe 10-12 had the hitch on it. Last week it was probably 1 out of the 10 I found.

Better but still not a lot.

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I added the tow package to my order at the last minute, felt wrong to have a truck without it. Seems that more and more people are buying trucks with no intention of using them as a "truck", so maybe that's why so few have the hitches?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I can't speak for the Ranger, but my Colorado did not come with the tow package. It was cheaper to add it on after the purchase. $90 for the 4/7, $130 for the Curt hitch
In the Colorado, doesn't it come with an integrated brake controller if you get the towing package?

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the Colorado, doesn't it come with an integrated brake controller if you get the towing package?
It did not come with a new ingrated brake controller in 2015, although the wiring was there to install it (pigtail, no connector). I am unsure if it became standard with the tow package on subsequent year models.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It did not come with a new ingrated brake controller in 2015, although the wiring was there to install it (pigtail, no connector). I am unsure if it became standard with the tow package on subsequent year models.
I already have a Teknosha P3, so I really didn't want to pay 4-500$ to have the integrated one for something I'm going to tow 4-5 times a summer with :) You can already get the Redarch integrated kit on e-Trailer from what I can tell it's 220$ about.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I already have a Teknosha P3, so I really didn't want to pay 4-500$ to have the integrated one for something I'm going to tow 4-5 times a summer with :) You can already get the Redarch integrated kit on e-Trailer from what I can tell it's 220$ about.
I'll probably never tow anything near 7500 lbs so I'll just rely on surge braking

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I'll tow 2,500 to 3,500 pounds regularly. ATV trailer has brakes so I want to use them. I rarely tow more then that but when I do, it'll be my toy hauler that weighs in empty at 5,600 lbs. Throw a 2-up in there with gear and it'll easily bring it up to 7,000+ lbs.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll probably never tow anything near 7500 lbs so I'll just rely on surge braking
My camper only weighs 3500 dry, with gear it might be 4K. That said it has regular electric brakes which need a brake controller to work. I also rent equipment now and then that has brakes, some of it needs a controller, but most of it is surge style.

I don't think there are any/many trailers with sway control that also utilize surge brakes either.

RangerKody

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I’m looking for an after market tow package. I know ford offers one, but anyone had one installed elsewhere?

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Awhile back a tow pkg also included a bigger battery, radiator and a trans cooler. I guess those upgrades are not needed anymore.
Sponsored