Tow package

Robby

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I’ll start by saying I’ve looked at and drove several 19 Rangers and haven’t even looked to see if there was a tow package. In my mind it was standard. I mean why in the world would you build a truck with that amount of horsepower and torque and not put a tow package on it. I was looking at pictures of some I am interested in and they do not a place to insert a tow hitch. That’s a 100% deal breaker for me. I pull a boat or 14’ trailer at least once a week.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Robby

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
And I understand you can add it but really? Come on. If I was ford I wouldn’t have let one be able to be sold without a tow package

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Sport; 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
And I understand you can add it but really? Come on. If I was ford I wouldn’t have let one be able to be sold without a tow package
Several trucks in this class do not come with a tow package standard. I always got my Tacomas with one becuase it squared off the frame. I didn't add it to my order for my Ranger, as I don't usually tow things, and in a pinch I can use the wifes pickup for it.

If I were planning on towing, I wouldn't get anything smaller than an F-150. Maybe sometime down the line if they put a larger engine in, I'd consider it.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Many here are towing 25'+ trailers with 6-7000# total weight, I can assure you the engine has absolutely no trouble whatsoever pulling it. The 10-speed trans is amazing, and identical to whats in the F150. I'd absolutely go with the factory tow package as it eliminates a lot of the hackjobs you'll get if you have to get an aftermarket hitch installed.

ExChief45

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chrysler Concorde
Occupation
Gas System Operations - Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll start by saying I’ve looked at and drove several 19 Rangers and haven’t even looked to see if there was a tow package. In my mind it was standard. I mean why in the world would you build a truck with that amount of horsepower and torque and not put a tow package on it. I was looking at pictures of some I am interested in and they do not a place to insert a tow hitch. That’s a 100% deal breaker for me. I pull a boat or 14’ trailer at least once a week.
The tow package is an option, but unlike some vehicles the Ranger is ready to tow in any configuration as the tow package only adds the hitch and plug. I agree it should be standard as must may use it and those who don't it does not take anything away from the truck by having it and may add to resale value.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I'm not sure what the problem is here. Yes, it is possible to buy a Ranger without the hitch receiver. Yes, you certainly need to be able to tow. So either buy one of the Rangers that has the tow package (it's a relatively inexpensive option), OR buy one of the ones that lacks it, then immediately add an aftermarket receiver.

Rapid Roy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Retired
The tow package is an option, but unlike some vehicles the Ranger is ready to tow in any configuration as the tow package only adds the hitch and plug. I agree it should be standard as must may use it and those who don't it does not take anything away from the truck by having it and may add to resale value.
Are you sure it only adds a hitch and 7 pin to the 4 pin connector? That is what the salesman told me when I ordered now he says there is a maximum tow package that adds extra cooling and trailer sway control. I didn't get it because I don't plan to tow but I would have gotten it to get a larger radiator and transmission cooling. I think my salesman doesn't know the product. SO does anyone know what exactly does the "tow package" add to the truck for $500 ?

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Are you sure it only adds a hitch and 7 pin to the 4 pin connector? That is what the salesman told me when I ordered now he says there is a maximum tow package that adds extra cooling and trailer sway control. I didn't get it because I don't plan to tow but I would have gotten it to get a larger radiator and transmission cooling. I think my salesman doesn't know the product. SO does anyone know what exactly does the "tow package" add to the truck for $500 ?
You are correct in assuming your salesman knows nothing. The Ranger tow package adds the receiver hitch and the 7-way/4-way combo plug in the bumper. There are no add-on transmission coolers or anything of the sort.

This was for 2020, but I don't think anything has changed: 2020 Ford Ranger Trailer Towing Selector

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercab 4x2
The Towing Section needs a sticky that just says:

"The "Tow Package' for the Ranger is a hitch and bumper mounted 7 pin connector. That's it. All Rangers have tow/haul mode and trailer sway control even without the factory hitch. There is no transmission cooler."

It's crazy how often this same question keeps coming up.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I have a receiver hitch you can buy. Just took it off my 2020 ranger 2 days ago. Selling cheap! 50 bucks

20220910_091814.jpg

20220910_091834.jpg
Sponsored