Truck went dead, thought it was battery, hour later it cranks !

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
Calling all gear heads… Batteries die in the desert all the time, sunshine tax.

Been going back and forth with dealers trying to get a replacement but the charge was never low enough to warranty it, even though got messages for years. No biggie figure once it dies, am good to go.

So I drive 5 miles today park the vehicle and when I hit the FOB to arm the alarm, nothing ! I mean nothing. Had to open door with my key.

Long story short, had a lot going on went back to the truck an hour later to get it ready for a jump or tow and now it starts ! Any ideas ?
Sponsored

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer

Been going back and forth with dealers trying to get a replacement but the charge was never low enough to warranty it, even though got messages for years. No biggie figure once it dies, am good to go.

So I drive 5 miles today park the vehicle and when I hit the FOB to arm the alarm, nothing ! I mean nothing. Had to open door with my key.

Long story short, had a lot going on went back to the truck an hour later to get it ready for a jump or tow and now it starts ! Any ideas ?
That happened to me once. Truck didn't respond to any key fob inserts, wouldn't start, no light, nothing. It then started the next morning. Super weird, and still have no idea what caused it. Maybe some weird immobilizer hiccup?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I had this happen once too. A few people have had it go totally dead then go back to normal an I haven't heard of anyone having a repeat occurrence. If it ever happens again I'm going to try starting it with the app to see if it uses a different module an wakes things up.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired

I had a hard time following the exact sequence of events. How I read it makes a big difference in where I would look first. Car battery, versus fob battery.

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I had a hard time following the exact sequence of events. How I read it makes a big difference in where I would look first. Car battery, versus fob battery.
I think the dashboard display would say......

No key fob detected. If key fob battery is dead.

But you can still start the vehicle if you place it in the cup holder.

OP
OP
NeptuneRanger

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Glad to hear I am not the only one ! I wonder if the FOB was in my pocket if I somehow hit the buttons in some sort of accidental way that disables the car for an hour. It still says systems off the save battery, but when it cranked it did so immediately and has worked all day so far. Strange

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Im guessing the message you are seeing is the "deep sleep" message? I was getting that every time I parked the truck along with auto start/stop never working due to "vehicle charging". They had to replace the battery and BMS sensor on the negative post. Battery would always pass the load test, they ended up having to call Ford. Link to my service write up https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/truck-going-into-deep-sleep.16590/post-401562

I never experience a completely dead like you

OP
OP
NeptuneRanger

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Thanks for asking…. Basically just drive the car five miles and parked it as usual, chatted with a neighbor for a few minutes and then went to arm the car with the proverbial chirp. When I hit the FOB button nothing.. it fact I had to use the key to open the door. Dashboard completely blank, everything dark. Had to tend to a home issue for an hour or so, made calls to get truck in for service etc. Go back to the truck to get ready for a tow or jump, and low and behold it operated as normal. Cranked right up.

OP
OP
NeptuneRanger

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Im guessing the message you are seeing is the "deep sleep" message? I was getting that every time I parked the truck along with auto start/stop never working due to "vehicle charging". They had to replace the battery and BMS sensor on the negative post. Battery would always pass the load test, they ended up having to call Ford. Link to my service write up https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/truck-going-into-deep-sleep.16590/post-401562

I never experience a completely dead like you
Thanks for that. Sounds like I will need to bring it in at some point. Scary thing is I was going to drive from AZ to CA across the desert tomorrow, having that happen at a rest stop in the desert would be no fun in this heat. I have s battery tender I’ll plug in the meantime
Sponsored