Tremor ride and handling and Payload vs FX4

XLT_TREMOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Tremor
How does the Tremor ride compared to the FX4 on and off road?
I test drove them back to back, but only on the street. My impression is that the FX4 was smoother overall. Handled and gripped a bit better too. I think all of that is mostly the difference in tires and maybe sway bar.
Sponsored

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic hatchback CVT 2017 ram cummins
Occupation
Farmer
Did you check the tire pressure on the Tremor? Also, around here anyway, a loaded Lariat Tremor and a loaded Lariat FX4 are pretty much the same price.
Not during the test drive, but i did the next day at home. They where all right close to 35 lbs.
There seemed to be about a $4000 difference between the loaded Lariat and the tremor. But price was a bit better on the larait due to better rebates.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
There seemed to be about a $4000 difference between the loaded Lariat and the tremor. But price was a bit better on the larait due to better rebates.
Oh, I guess I just assumed the Tremor's had the same rebates available for their Ranger counterpart (XLT/Lariat). I guess that makes them the same now, since my area took them away. :)

aKsis88

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shadow Black Lariat Tremor
Lets just say I traded in my 2020 XLT FX4 for a 2021 Lariat Tremor.
The old lady was getting upset with the shaking and bouncing of the stock FX4 shocks .

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
No one driven both a FX4 and Tremor and can give me feedback on how the ride compares? The closest Tremor for me to test drive is a 5 hour drive one way. Any input is appreciated. Thanks again.
Driven FX4, Tremor, and Chevy Bison. For me, ride quality was improved in that same order, both pavement and on rutted farm roads. I have not driven any of the three off-road. I plan on using mine the same as you and for me the Tremor hit the sweet spot between the FX4 and the Bison in terms of from the dealer capability. Can a standard Ranger 4x4 or FX4 be built into a better riding and more capable truck? Absolutely. But in the end the Tremor was the out of the box solution I was looking for.

Last edited:

Advnirvana

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4 Carbonized Grey
From when I was looking at a couple Tremors, i think they come equipped with Fox shocks so you don't have to worry about swapping out the FX4 shocks. The tremor SHOULD have a nicer ride than the Lariat FX4 also because of the multi-leaf rear springs that version comes with. If you're focused more on payload, the Tremor has the lowest capacity of the models but it's not significantly less. I think the Tremor had ~ 1,430 lbs of payload capacity (which would still be plenty based on your post). The other models range from 1,530 - 1,770 lbs.

I loved the Tremor and the look of the grill, but for me personally it wasn't enough to justify the increased price tag. So I opted to get the Lariat FX4 model and swapped out the FX4 suspension with Ford Performance Fox and I love the ride.
I ended up doing the same . Went with a FX4 Lariat and Fox.

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
Found tremor to be a far superior riding and handling vehicle than any other Ranger. Corrected all the complaints I've read about the fx4s ride. Glad you all are happy, but im happy that I went with a Tremor.

GreenCreekDucks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT Dude
Ride difference between a Tremor vs. Lariat is totally different feel. The Tremor ride is bearable. The other were not to me....

techspi16

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Chief Engineer
I drove both the Tremor and FX4, the FX4 was used with 6000 miles. It also had the same tires as the Tremor, I take it someone had changed.
To me the ride was night and day difference. the Tremor felt planted on the road and the ride was better. After my first road trip with the Tremor, I got home I ordered Fox 2.0 for my F350 should have done that sooner.

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
No one driven both a FX4 and Tremor and can give me feedback on how the ride compares? The closest Tremor for me to test drive is a 5 hour drive one way. Any input is appreciated. Thanks again.
Every ass is different. Only you can determine what rides best for you.

Now get off your butt and take a ride to the dealership and compare for yourself.

I love my stock Lariat FX4. I use my boat to level the truck.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Every ass is different. Only you can determine what rides best for you.

Now get off your butt and take a ride to the dealership and compare for yourself.

I love my stock Lariat FX4. I use my boat to level the truck.
I would totally agree with this. The comments about the FX4 ride have ranged from "I love it" to " it sucks". Ride quality is a VERY individual opinion I think. I liken it to "styling" - what looks good to one person looks like crap to someone else.

For me, I liked my FX4 ride, however there were occasions when it felt a bit too "floaty" for me (but it wasn't often). After all the comments, I decided to swap the rear shocks for the Eibachs, and now I think the ride is just about perfect. It is a great daily driver.

erty176

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Designer
Having driven both the tremor and fx4, I went with tremor for a few reasons. The tremor sits a bit higher up with the fox shocks underneath, and I found that in the standard fx4 I just felt a little bit to level with some of the other SUVs around me. It's only about an inch different but the day to day of that made a big difference for me. As far as ride goes, the fx4 I would compare to something like an old Cadillac with bad shocks. It's just doesn't stop bouncing after going over bumps. By the time you hit the next bump, you've barely recovered from the one before. The tremor just feels a lot more planted in the twisty roads, and for going off-road in the sierra Nevadas near me, the out of the box capabilities can't be beat. In 2 weekends I was loaded up and headed out. No changing suspension, no worrying about ground clearance over some of the bigger rocks. Ultimately it will depend on your own butt dyno but for me the tremor was far and ahead the better out of the box solution.

ranger-rick-roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
FWIW I was cross shopping fully loaded Lariats and tried both FX4 and Tremor. Loved the ride of the Tremor AND the one I was looking at had better payload than the FX4, maybe due to the different leaf springs. FX4 lariat was 1360 and tremor is 1430.

Smprfiguy

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Ive driven a bison and test drove an fx4 and own a tremor

bison was smooth and really comfy on the highway was a little stiff on the trail. The fx4 only got 2 miles of test drive on surface streets and felt pretty smooth. The tremor is like a Cadillac (in a good way) on the hi way and through backroads. The couple of miles ive done on rutted dirt were actually pretty impressive as far as suspension feel.

Now the steering is a whole other story…. I tried to sell my tremor back to the dealer after 3 days and 300 miles but couldnt stomach the loss. I hate the way the steering feels in this truck and would encourage any one thinking of buying one to take a long test drive to see if your ok with it. It feels like a video game with 0 feedback at center and find myself constantly sawing the wheel back and forth to find resistance. If you can test drive a frontier i did after i bought mine and loved the feel.

I would imagine the electronic assist power steering is identical between the fx4 and tremor so if your comfortable with it then it will only get better for ya on the tremors ride

Last edited:

veloci1

First Name
andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4wd XLT Ionic Silver.
Ive driven a bison and test drove an fx4 and own a tremor

bison was smooth and really comfy on the highway was a little stiff on the trail. The fx4 only got 2 miles of test drive on surface streets and felt pretty smooth. The tremor is like a Cadillac (in a good way) on the hi way and through backroads. The couple of miles ive done on rutted dirt were actually pretty impressive as far as suspension feel.

Now the steering is a whole other story…. I tried to sell my tremor back to the dealer after 3 days and 300 miles but couldnt stomach the loss. I hate the way the steering feels in this truck and would encourage any one thinking of buying one to take a long test drive to see if your ok with it. It feels like a video game with 0 feedback at center and find myself constantly sawing the wheel back and forth to find resistance. If you can test drive a frontier i did after i bought mine and loved the feel.

I would imagine the electronic assist power steering is identical between the fx4 and tremor so if your comfortable with it then it will only get better for ya on the tremors ride
i agree with the steering issue. it has been driving me crazy. i thought it was an alignment issue, but, 2 shops have confirmed otherwise. it is my only complaint besides the braking system quality.
Sponsored