First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
There is another reason to use a weight distribution set up that no one has brought up yet, if towing a trailer with a heavy tongue weight...steering and braking.
Yes, the Rangers hitch could probably handle the tongue weight, and pull a heavy trailer without a WDH.
But it may very well put a lot of weight on the rear, which makes for very light steering. That is dangerous. If you have ever driven a pickup hauling a heavy load over and behind the rear axle, you know what I am referring too.
Also, the front brakes are responsible for round 70% of the vehicles braking, and if the front is not planted, you lose braking.
A WDH set up transfers weigh back to the front.
Personally, I have used a WDH on every camper, from 16 foot on up.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
There is another reason to use a weight distribution set up that no one has brought up yet, if towing a trailer with a heavy tongue weight...steering and braking.
Yes, the Rangers hitch could probably handle the tongue weight, and pull a heavy trailer without a WDH.
But it may very well put a lot of weight on the rear, which makes for very light steering. That is dangerous. If you have ever driven a pickup hauling a heavy load over and behind the rear axle, you know what I am referring too.
Also, the front brakes are responsible for round 70% of the vehicles braking, and if the front is not planted, you lose braking.
A WDH set up transfers weigh back to the front.
Personally, I have used a WDH on every camper, from 16 foot on up.
Some vehicles have different weight ratings with and without a wdh, the ranger does not. If (as so many seem convinced) it were insanely dangerous to run the ranger at its rated capacity without a wdh, ford would have rated it 3000/7500 (with/without wdh) rather than 7500/7500. But they didn't. It was tested at 7500 without a wdh, and managed to meet the braking and handling requirements.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is gong to be a matter of contention as long as this forum exists. It is up to each to do as they see fit....I tow with and will always tow with a WDH, and no one here has said anything too change my practices....and there are those who do not feel the need for one, and they aren't going to change their practices.
It's a matter of personal choice/decision.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Some vehicles have different weight ratings with and without a wdh, the ranger does not. If (as so many seem convinced) it were insanely dangerous to run the ranger at its rated capacity without a wdh, ford would have rated it 3000/7500 (with/without wdh) rather than 7500/7500. But they didn't. It was tested at 7500 without a wdh, and managed to meet the braking and handling requirements.
Nobody has said a WDH is required to tow 7500 pounds with the Ranger. What we are saying that for some instances it is a good idea for a better towing experience. Can it do it yes it can. Is there maybe a better way, yes there is.

EDIT:
Just because it doesn't require one does not mean you can't or shouldn't use one.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure. But maybe the better way is to skip the wdh, even if it was needed for some other truck 40 years ago. ?‍♂

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sure. But maybe the better way is to skip the wdh, even if it was needed for some other truck 40 years ago. ?‍♂
Has nothing to do with the truck or need. Like @Grumpaw said some people will never change their mind. You do you I'll do me and enjoy my ride.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I second willcuts93 post

Thats what the manual says. Be safe. Like the emergency brake sensor system. Dont want to test it out. I trust it works.
I will tow 6000 lbs or more without a weight distribution hitch. If i am towing a backhoe, or wood, or car. The characteristics of such a tow are drastically different than a tt. Same concept, weight, equipment, brakes, but the handling is so much different than a large 30ft 6000 lb box

Tow smart, tow safe.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has nothing to do with the truck or need. Like @Grumpaw said some people will never change their mind. You do you I'll do me and enjoy my ride.
Yeah, I get that. Some people post about why one might need a wdh in some circumstances (but also things to try first, like fixing the weight distribution of the trailer), others post that they will never not use a wdh and paint crazy pictures of an inability to brake without one. But if someone's position is "I will never tow without a wdh because it's my security blanket", I just wonder why they bother posting--because it doesn't really help anyone understand when/why they might need one themselves. I mean sure, do you, but how does that help answer the original question?

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, I get that. Some people post about why one might need a wdh in some circumstances (but also things to try first, like fixing the weight distribution of the trailer), others post that they will never not use a wdh and paint crazy pictures of an inability to brake without one. But if someone's position is "I will never tow without a wdh because it's my security blanket", I just wonder why they bother posting--because it doesn't really help anyone understand when/why they might need one themselves. I mean sure, do you, but how does that help answer the original question?
I have been towing rv's on and off for more than 50 years, and have always used a WDH. I did/have tried without one to see if there was any difference, and, to one who is experienced, there is a distinct difference in the way a rig tow's, and handles.
It is not a "security blanket" to me, but an addition that gives a much more secure feeling when towing.
Since you put so much attention as to those of us who use a WDH, I would be courious as to what you tow, how many dirrerent rigs you have towed, and how long and far you have towed a travel trailer...
If its more than a dozen rigs over 50 years with approaching half a million miles, then I will bow to your "expertise"

Gil-galad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
In my experience, my towing is optimized with the use of a WDH in combination with a friction anti sway device. IRT the OP's original question (i.e., the function of the Ranger's installed electronic anti sway capability) I have found my vehicle actually behaves better with the electronic anti sway mode disabled. The friction bar seems to "fool" the truck's OBC into thinking there is trailer sway beginning to occur when, in fact, the friction bar is handling the offending condition (usually wind) exactly as it is supposed to do. I get strange, disconcerting movements in the truck when the friction and electronic anti sway capabilities are in use at the same time.

I am happiest with my truck's handling when the friction bar is in use and the electronic anti sway mode disabled.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Like most threads on this forum this one had it's question answered on the first page and got side tracked into a completely different subject entirely.

Like Grumpaw said a WDH is not a security blanket. It is just one more tool in your toolbox, and a good one. Especially when towing a TT.

As far as the hitch labeling goes, you will notice the use of a WDH actually increases the towing capacity of the hitch, not limiting it. Also this rating does not change the rating of the vehicle only the hitch. There is no lower limit on the use of a WDH.

As you mentioned whenever towing ,with or without a WDH, trailer setup is the first and most important step. Balance both front to back and side to side is extremely critical. The requirement for brakes is usually regulated by state laws and commercially built trailers will usually have them if needed. It is up the the user to understand how they work and if any additional equipment is required for your tow vehicle. Like everything else it is up to you to make sure your WDH, if you use one, is properly set up.

Like many things there are no hard and fast rules as to when a WDH is needed/required. If you look for them you will see most manufacturers only go down to about 400 pounds TW on their bars. I don’t know why the also quote trailer weight too, the bars have nothing to do with towing capacity. The head are usually all the same except maybe the ball size. By elimination this means any trailer over approx. 3000 pounds is a option for use. Travel trailers (TTs) are also Especially suited for use because of how they are used, long trips, hiway speeds, and areas maybe unfamiliar to the driver. Again it is another tool in your towing toolbox. Personally when I'm towing a big box that weighs almost as much or more than my tow vehicle in unfamiliar territory, I want to use every tool I have to make the ride less stressful. Ever towed a TT through a big city at rush hour?

Hopefully this aswers some of your, and others, questions about why and when to use a WDH. The Ranger is a very capable tow vehicle but even the most experience among us should use all the tools available to us. Should every trailer use a WDH? NO! TTs are a special case different from any other towing situation.

I'll get off my soap box now and leave this thread.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
In my experience, my towing is optimized with the use of a WDH in combination with a friction anti sway device. IRT the OP's original question (i.e., the function of the Ranger's installed electronic anti sway capability) I have found my vehicle actually behaves better with the electronic anti sway mode disabled. The friction bar seems to "fool" the truck's OBC into thinking there is trailer sway beginning to occur when, in fact, the friction bar is handling the offending condition (usually wind) exactly as it is supposed to do. I get strange, disconcerting movements in the truck when the friction and electronic anti sway capabilities are in use at the same time.

I am happiest with my truck's handling when the friction bar is in use and the electronic anti sway mode disabled.
Sorry for one more post!
So you have actually had the trucks anti-sway system kick in while traveling with your friction sway bar in use, I mean seen the warning come up on the dash? I believe there is also a audable alarm. If so either you have issues with your setup, or I have mine perfect (which I highly doubt). I have driven across OK, TX, NM and AZ with cross winds and semis. I have never yet seen my ant-sway go off.

Gil-galad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Sorry for one more post!
So you have actually had the trucks anti-sway system kick in while traveling with your friction sway bar in use, I mean seen the warning come up on the dash? I believe there is also a audable alarm. If so either you have issues with your setup, or I have mine perfect (which I highly doubt). I have driven across OK, TX, NM and AZ with cross winds and semis. I have never yet seen my ant-sway go off.
Only on rare occasion, and only under extreme wind conditions (those that convince me to just get off the road and wait until the next day). ?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Only on rare occasion, and only under extreme wind conditions (those that convince me to just get off the road and wait until the next day). ?
OK this is a little different than your first post. If I trusted my setup and a safety system on te truck is going off, I would think it is trying to tell me something. Like in this case "GET OF THE ROAD YOU FOOL! IT'S TOO WINDY". I'm not in the habit of turning off safety devices just just because I THINK they are not telling the truth. Your sway bar is to prevent sway the truck only reacts after sway has started. One should not cause the other.
Sponsored