Trailer Sway Control

Jimmy07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL/STX
I'd like to understand the trailer sway control feature a bit better. Does the feature apply brakes on the Ranger, the trailer, or both ? How does the Ranger detect trailer sway ? Is there a sensor on the Ranger to detect sway ? Would appreciate any help.
Sponsored

ALranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
MRI tech
I'd like to know about this too and would like to add one more question. If I have a weight distribution hitch with sway control, should I turn off the Ranger's sway control feature or does it matter?

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
All I can state is that per the manual, when trailer sway control is activated, it illuminates a light on the dash. IIRC, it only applies braking to the vehicle.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Gyroscopic sensors in the RCM report roll and turning rates to detect sway. The truck will selectively brake individual wheels on the truck only and adjust engine power to help control sway. Best way to stop a trailer from whipping is to accelerate while hitting the trailer brakes.
Edit: I wanted to add that this in no way is a substitute for a proper sway control system if you have a trailer prone to swaying. It doesn't prevent sway, it controls it once it detects the trailer is swaying.

Last edited:

WaltKNJ

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew
Occupation
Tractor trailer driver
From what I read, you should onlly use a weight distributing hitch if the sepc decall shows a tongue weight without a WDH and with a WDH.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
From what I read, you should onlly use a weight distributing hitch if the sepc decall shows a tongue weight without a WDH and with a WDH.
I've had a trailer whip violently enough to drag a Superduty sideways. I'll risk any possible damage or bending of the receiver to have a WDH and sway brake. Sideways with a trailer at 60 is about as scary as it gets, I thought I was dead for sure.

WaltKNJ

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tractor trailer driver
I've had a trailer whip violently enough to drag a Superduty sideways. I'll risk any possible damage or bending of the receiver to have a WDH and sway brake. Sideways with a trailer at 60 is about as scary as it gets, I thought I was dead for sure.
Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope all/everybody is OK.

I looked at a WDH and that's when I found out about the Sway Control issue. In no way can I afford to violate/void my warrranty. So far, no issues using sway control. I pull a 26' tandem axle travel trailer, so, I'm hoping to continue for the same results.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope all/everybody is OK.

I looked at a WDH and that's when I found out about the Sway Control issue. In no way can I afford to violate/void my warrranty. So far, no issues using sway control. I pull a 26' tandem axle travel trailer, so, I'm hoping to continue for the same results.
the ranger is rated the same with and without WDH, it does not say to not use one

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Usually something like a camper is built with proper weight distribution in mind and is harder to make it sway. Where you run into problems is a cargo or flat bed that has been loaded incorrectly. In my case it was a dump trailer used for trash from construction sites. Someone put concrete blocks in the rear then filled it up with light trash. I had no idea it was loaded like that until it was up to speed.

Reactions: EJH

WaltKNJ

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tractor trailer driver
This info is from ETrailer. I woud think it's in thei interest to sell as many WDH's as possible.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

If your hitch is rated for use with weight distribution, the weight distribution system will allow you to tow at the maximum capacity of the hitch. Weight distribution doesn't "increase" your hitch's capacity so much as it allows the hitch to be used at its maximum capacity. Check the hitch's ratings to determine your towing capacity with and without weight distribution. Note that only designated Class III, IV, or V hitches may be used with weight distribution systems.You should also note that a weight distribution system does not increase the towing capacity of your vehicle. Your towing system will only be as strong as its lowest-rated component. You should always abide by the stated towing capacities of your vehicle and towing equipment. Failure to do so can result in equipment damage or failure.Keep in mind that not all hitches are designed for use with weight distribution systems. Always check the trailer hitch's weight rating label for a weight distribution towing capacity. If there is no such capacity listed, then a weight distribution system cannot be used.

1592750713640.png

Dalton Bourne

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Occupation
engineer
Do I Need a Sway Bar for My Travel Trailer? the answer is have because even if you observe preventive measures, there is always the risk of unknown forces causing your travel trailer to roll. Having a stabilizer bar under your travel trailer’s chassis can minimize the threat of sway and improve road safety. A sway bar for travel trailer is an aftermarket accessory that RV owners install in their travel trailer’s suspension to improve its handling characteristics. Sway bars work by controlling wheel suspension action, keeping the travel trailer’s wheels in constant contact with the road surface.

Last edited:

cyrus799

First Name
Cyrus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 Wildtrak
To give you an idea, it's an adjustable bar fitted on the hitch to ensure that the trailer does not wobble while being pulled. If you have a modern rig, it most likely already has a built-in sway bar.

erty176

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Designer
Having had trailer sway control activate on me when towing a U-Haul trailer(trailer only had surge brakes, and was prone to wobbles above 70mph, no brake controller installed as I don't tow often enough) it brakes individual wheels using the abs system. If the sway is bad enough, it will also limit throttle input. It lights up a light on the dash, and makes the same sound as when using off road trail control when that is trying to control speed. Hope that helps!

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I'd like to understand the trailer sway control feature a bit better. Does the feature apply brakes on the Ranger, the trailer, or both ? How does the Ranger detect trailer sway ? Is there a sensor on the Ranger to detect sway ? Would appreciate any help.
It was explained to me somewhere in here that if the feature kicks in, you are already in a bad spot. I have never seen the feature activate on our truck and just the other day I needed to slow down to 60mph due to some decent crosswinds (NV/UT can tow at normal speed limit). That was with a WDH installed as well.

I am fairly new to towing but can't imagine towing without a WDH. I am not sure if it is just my region/winds or because the two travel trailers (TT) we have owned were both single axle it makes such a huge difference that I wouldn't tow without it. When driving our trailer from storage to home, a couple times I would leave the bars off our Equal-i-zer WHD and man, so noticeable how twitchy and prone to sway our TT would get. With the WDH in use, it just tows so much better.
Sponsored